Things you don't often see at GAA matches anymore................

Started by SouthArmaghBandit, June 21, 2007, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

the players wearing those yellow gloves with the black dots on them for "grip" when it was raining,  jesus they were useless 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 01:19:28 PM
Hawkers going round the crowd, annoying everyone while the match is in progress, selling ice cream etc.Used to be a feature of Ulster Finals until someone from the Ulster Council had a brainwave of opening a shop selling taytos,chocolates and programmes.

Also a feature of the old Clones in the 70s and 80s was a load of Clergymen, from Bishops, Monsignors, Canons, Curates etc walking down, inside the pitch to the best seats.

I was going to say lads pissing out in the open until I remembered that at least two Armagh Minor subs did this last week while warming up in Clones, at the corner of the pitch,which I seriously thought was disgraceful >:(

I know its not exactly the same thing but I used to sell match programmes from the age of about 9-13 for Castlebar Mitchells @ Mayo mathes, you got 100 programmes & if you sold them all (& only them all if I recall) you got a nice £10(punt) note as reward. I used collect from about 10 am until the minor game, then ask to be let into the ground to sell my last 10, I used walk up & down the stand until I sold the last one, then sit down in a spare seat in the stands, then off to collect my £10 post match. It was a long day for £10, but then ago that was circa 1989-1993

deiseach

Flasks of boiling water with the tay bags wrapped up in tinfoil. Don't want yer tay to be too strong, do ya?

Match day programmes - official ones - consisting of the teams (several of whom are called AN Other), notes from the Rúnaí wishing all Gaels a céad míle fáilte, ads for dry cleaners, and nothing else.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Colonel Cool

The Archbishop throwing the ball in then running like feck to get off the pitch.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

thebandit

INDIANA

piss winging its way down hill 16 as the natives decline the use of the jacks and decide to use the back wall.

heganboy

5 sams
I saw that show about the native americansbuilding the skyscrapers- They're back there at the minute working on the new World trade Center.
It was a great show
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

prewtna

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 21, 2007, 04:54:02 PM
the players wearing those yellow gloves with the black dots on them for "grip" when it was raining,  jesus they were useless 

mikasa they were. or worse those useless green cloth ones!

huge goalkeeper gloves on outfield players. (only ciaran whelan keeps the tradition going)

rrhf

boozed up Armachians shouting houly bouly houly!
Joe Brolly blowing kisses to Tyrone fans
Derry fans singing there no Sam maguire in Tyrone.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mack the finger on June 21, 2007, 02:19:54 PM
Father's lifting their eleven year old kids over the turnstiles at Croker on All Ireland Final day and saying to a perplexed steward, as the 'Child' disappeared into the crowd, 'Sure he's only a lad, you're not gonna charge him'

:D

ONeill

1. Just paying in
2. Horns that blew your head off
3. Caps in county colours
4. Team pic in Croker with Nally/scoreboard in background
5. Headbands
6. Everyone eating a choc-ice
7. Smell of pipe
8. Punts (as in money)
9. Fear of Kerry
10. Ulster fans in awe of Croker.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sandy Hill

16 players lined up in the middle of the pitch for the throw in - the 2 midfielders and 6 forwards from each team!
"Stercus accidit"