Things you don't often see at GAA matches anymore................

Started by SouthArmaghBandit, June 21, 2007, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewtna

an old man smoking a pipe. thats some good second hand cancer inducing smoke.you've gotta love it!

orangeman

Good auld time stewards who can sit / stand and talk to you and there's no hassle - these new guys that are paid to do steward are a bad job -they can be aggressive and cause rows - do we really need them ?

What happened to the old timers who understood football ? It's a sad day they're no longer needed and have been replaced by paid bouncers.

orangeman

EannaAbu

shouting up to the cussack stand before an all-ireland final, and getting the steward to come down and open the emergency blue gate, and let ten of you in for 70 punts......

T Fearon

Is it just me, or has anyone else detected a marked reduction in the Hang sangwhiches from the car boot in recent year.

Also I recall in my first trips to Croker way back in the mid 70s, a lot of people going down in the train to Dublin would be anxious to "get mass" before the match. Now, bejaysus, most of them haven't darkened the door of a chapel since the Eamonn Casey scandal

Mack the finger

Goalkeepers sitting on the crossbar to get a better view of the action up the field.

Father's lifting their eleven year old kids over the turnstiles at Croker on All Ireland Final day and saying to a perplexed steward, as the 'Child' disappeared into the crowd, 'Sure he's only a lad, you're not gonna charge him'

Shamrock Shore

Dodgy rogue All Ireland final programs with made up players and in horribe shitey yellow colour.

the Deel Rover

Lads sitting on top of the old hogan stand watching the match
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BennyHarp

Lads climbing the poles which hold the catch nets up at clones, to watch the match! I remember a couple of eegits doing that at an Ulster final in the late 80's think it was Tyrone v Donegal in 1989!
That was never a square ball!!

Lecale2

Lads standing on top of the Nally Stand to watch a match. I remember 4 or 5 idiots from Glasdrumman at that during the '94 football final.

Hardy

Some great ones there lads. You'd be a brave man to stand up on top of the Hogan Stand now.

I had hang sangwidges out of the boot of the car for the first time ever last Sunday. The Mrs of one of the lads I was travelling with insisted on making a big box of sambos (actually they weren't ham at all – mostly chicken and egg salad and corned beef and tomato). Anyway, we felt obligated to eat them, though we should have chosen a better location than the car park of the Brian Boru, in front of a crowd of Dubs drinking in the beer garden. In the circumstance, they were very restrained. I think they were just stunned into slack-jawed disbelief looking at us confirming a stereotype that they thought was just a ... stereotype.

The sambos were nice, though - big ones you could hould in your fist and not them dainty little feckin triangular things. Though they were washed down with bottles of beer instead of the traditional bottles of tay.

T Fearon

Senior Clerics throwing the ball in to start the game.

Eamon De Valera

The old scoreboard at the Hill/Nally end saying "The Cat and Cage..where you'll see more pints going over the bar than you'll ever see at Croke Park!"

prewtna

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 21, 2007, 02:35:37 PM
Lads standing on top of the Nally Stand to watch a match. I remember 4 or 5 idiots from Glasdrumman at that during the '94 football final.

lads falling through the roof of the nally stand during the 1996 all-ireland.

landed on the roof of the rte box with michael lyster within!