State of Minds last night - Linfield fans visit Clones

Started by T Fearon, June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM
Thought the Linfield lads were great. Both stood for the Soldiers Song (and the son could be heard to say I never thought I'd be standing for this!) and seemed to enjoy the occasion immensely and said they would go again.

My wife reminded me that the first thing she noticed upon going to her first GAA match in Thurles - two matches in Semple against Cork, two victories; the woman is a lucky charm!! - was the lack of segregation. She couldn't understand how people in the 'wrong' section were not having their heads kicked in.

Of course, she also thought the playing of Amhrán na bhFiann was a Father Ted-esque experience.

deiseach

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 21, 2007, 03:36:08 PM
Sure isn't the most popular man in the GAA from the Protestant tradition (mind a West Cork not East Belfast one) Mr. Samual Maguire, he is so loved in Mayo the place is obsessed with him visiting, there is hardly 5 minutes that his name is mentioned in Mayo.

:D

Rossfan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 21, 2007, 02:21:57 PM
I opened my mouth & said a word in my Mayo (Southern) Accent.

Fishead -no wonder ye cant win All Ireland Finals - with a sense of direction like yours.

Arra doooont peeeeple in Maya spaaaake wut Weshterrrrrn aaaaaaccints?

:P :P :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2007, 09:00:35 PM
Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 21, 2007, 02:21:57 PM
I opened my mouth & said a word in my Mayo (Southern) Accent.

Fishead -no wonder ye cant win All Ireland Finals - with a sense of direction like yours.

Arra doooont peeeeple in Maya spaaaake wut Weshterrrrrn aaaaaaccints?

:P :P :P

Southern as in 26 Counties   ::)

Now Rossfan before ya go on about All-Irelands think about throwing stones in glasshouses, & before you throw the Minor AI @ us, U-21 AI straight back at ya.

Out of interest would you rather get or avoid Mayo in qualifiers, to be honest neither team look to hot @ the moment. 

magickingdom

Quote from: SammyG on June 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 21, 2007, 01:18:37 PMGood to see that neither was EXCLUDED from the match or the field post march, despite any issues either party may of had with rules,constitutions etc. There was no oath of alligience to Mary Mac at the turnstyles, and no automated fenian detector at the entrance to the field.
Why would anyone be excluded from attending a GAA match in Clones? You seem to be mixing up the idea of being a spectator and a member, two totally different things. Also as has already been said, I doubt the reception would have been quite as pleasent if they'd turned up at Casement.

As far as the OO, the same would apply, most people would be excluded from joining but nobody is excluded from going along to see a parade, if they fancy it.

wtf? the sam maguire cup is the most treasured prize in gaelic football, sam maguire was a protestant as are many members of the gaa. name the catholic in the oo sammy... those tossers had no right using the gaa in the same programme as the oo

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on June 21, 2007, 09:28:17 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 21, 2007, 01:18:37 PMGood to see that neither was EXCLUDED from the match or the field post march, despite any issues either party may of had with rules,constitutions etc. There was no oath of alligience to Mary Mac at the turnstyles, and no automated fenian detector at the entrance to the field.
Why would anyone be excluded from attending a GAA match in Clones? You seem to be mixing up the idea of being a spectator and a member, two totally different things. Also as has already been said, I doubt the reception would have been quite as pleasent if they'd turned up at Casement.

As far as the OO, the same would apply, most people would be excluded from joining but nobody is excluded from going along to see a parade, if they fancy it.

wtf? the sam maguire cup is the most treasured prize in gaelic football, sam maguire was a protestant as are many members of the gaa. name the catholic in the oo sammy... those tossers had no right using the gaa in the same programme as the oo

There aren't any Catholics in the OO, what's that got to do with my post that you quoted?

magickingdom

maybe i picked you up wrong sammy but you seemed to imply that the gaa and oo were the same in having exclusive membership rules. there are NO restrictions on gaa membership anyone can join unlike the oo...

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2007, 10:32:43 AM
maybe i picked you up wrong sammy but you seemed to imply that the gaa and oo were the same in having exclusive membership rules. there are NO restrictions on gaa membership anyone can join unlike the oo...

The OO and the GAA are obviously not the same. The point I was making is they both have rules which exclude one section of the community. The OO's rules are based on extreme relegious beliefs, while the GAA's are political but the end result is the same.

As an atheist Unionist, I'm excluded from both organisations.

An Fear Rua

please clarify Sammy, your own beliefs are excluding you from being members of either organisation.....
Its Grim up North

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Sam

You're going to have to enlighten me as to why you think the GAA's rules are based on political beliefs.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on June 22, 2007, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2007, 10:32:43 AM

The OO and the GAA are obviously not the same. The point I was making is they both have rules which exclude one section of the community. The OO's rules are based on extreme relegious beliefs, while the GAA's are political but the end result is the same.

nice try samson ! :D
Will see if anyone bites at that statement !

As you most likely have not played Gaelic football or Hurling so far, you actually dont have a problem playing for ANY club.
Certainly are not excluded from joining any club.

why are you excluded from joining the atheists and unionists?

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 22, 2007, 10:48:23 AM
Sam

You're going to have to enlighten me as to why you think the GAA's rules are based on political beliefs.

Without wishng to start another 300 page thread (you can read back through the other ones if you fancy), the GAA rules state that you must support the notion of a 32 county Ireland and uses phrase like 'Since she has no control over all the national
territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired.'

As I'm not a Nationalist/Republican, I'm excluded from the GAA, in the same way that I'm excluded from joining any other Nationalist political body.

An Fear Rua

Sam

Fiodoir, dont bother, all you will get is "Im Excluded, nationalist ethos etc", simple black and white answer. Despite the fact that he already admitted on the board this week that he/loyalists/unionists were NOT excluded from attending or viewing GAA, a point which contradicts his feelings in 20 pages plus topic earlier in the year.
Its Grim up North

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on June 22, 2007, 10:53:21 AM
Sam

Without wishng to start another 300 page thread (you can read back through the other ones if you fancy), the GAA rules state that you must support the notion of a 32 county Ireland and uses phrase like 'Since she has no control over all the national
territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired.'

As I'm not a Nationalist/Republican, I'm excluded from the GAA, in the same way that I'm excluded from joining any other Nationalist political body.
so yer a 'good' (free) presbyterian then....dong go a mile over the speed limit and cross roads are pedestrian crossings only etc etc

I love this blind adherence to rules and regulations when it suits
Jeez, there would be a fair proportion of people who dont even know this statement exists - myself included- until you and your looney pals pointed it out.
No one is excluded, likewise your car doesnt explode when you do 61mph in a 60 mph zone !

yer a laugh alright.
Its this unionist/loyalist mentality that keeps the place as it is for the past 30 years.

I'm away off now to trim the horns off my head....like all kaffliks have to do weekly! ::) :D