Gordy appoints New Norn Iron supremo: Shaun Woodward

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 21, 2007, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Nothing to do with OWC's recent managerial shenanighans - but hardly a total vote of confidence in Gordon Brown's choices (though this job is meaningless now):

"British Prime Minister-in-waiting Gordon Brown offered former Liberal Democrat leader Paddy Ashdown the British Cabinet post of Northern Ireland secretary.

Ashdown said the offer was made yesterday - after Lib Dem Leader Sir Menzies Campbell said no member of his party would join Mr Brown's government.

The peer and former British army officer said he could not have considered taking a Cabinet post without Sir Menzies' approval.

And he said that he would not have been in favour of the proposal anyway.

Apparently, Ashdown was asked to take on the formerly most unwanted post in the British cabinet* because he had done a good job in Bosnia, where he was the UN High Representative until 2005."

Ashdown is the eldest of seven children and was born in New Delhi in India to a lapsed Catholic father, and a Protestant mother; subsequently, he and his siblings were not raised Catholic. His father was a Captain in the Indian Army, 14th Punjab Regiment & RIASC and his mother was a QA. He was largely brought up in Northern Ireland (hence the nickname "Paddy") and educated at Bedford School, England. From 1959 to 1972 he served as an officer in the Royal Marines, including a stint in the elite Special Boat Service.

* In the early 1980s, one former NI secretary pleaded, unsuccessfully, with then British Premier Thatcher not to appoint him to this post.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Uladh

Didn't Ashdown serve in the British army and complete a couple of tours of the black north?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

He served in Belfast in 1970/71 where he says he was greeted with cups of tea and Belfast baps etc.  ::)

He also said he had a strong 'Norn Iron' accent as a youngster from his time living here (Co Down?), hence the original nickname of 'Paddy' bestowed upon him at school in England.

I think Brown is not doing himself a lot of favours intimating this appointment; Ashdown is too high a profile name, ex-army, and alleged connections with M16. Hardly popular with nationalists. Anyhow, has he not already been appointed to oversee a review of Orange parades?

Why couldn't they just scrap this post now that Papa Doc and Marty are best of mates and want to go boating together off Ballycastle.

balladmaker

QuoteWhy couldn't they just scrap this post now that Papa Doc and Marty are best of mates and want to go boating together off Ballycastle.

Speaking of Paisley and McGuinness, after watching yesterday evening's news, I still can't take it all in!  The transformation from Paisley, sitting laughing and joking with McGuinness is sureal.  They must have doped Paisley when they had him over at St. Andrews!

Amazing to think that if the big man kicks the bucket during his tenure of First Minister, the honour of Chief Mourner, officially representing the Assembly and the people, will be Marty himself!  I wonder what colour the wreath would be?!  :o

ziggysego

Quote from: balladmaker on June 21, 2007, 10:51:17 AM
QuoteWhy couldn't they just scrap this post now that Papa Doc and Marty are best of mates and want to go boating together off Ballycastle.

Speaking of Paisley and McGuinness, after watching yesterday evening's news, I still can't take it all in!  The transformation from Paisley, sitting laughing and joking with McGuinness is sureal.  They must have doped Paisley when they had him over at St. Andrews!

Amazing to think that if the big man kicks the bucket during his tenure of First Minister, the honour of Chief Mourner, officially representing the Assembly and the people, will be Marty himself!  I wonder what colour the wreath would be?!  :o

I know what you mean. I'm not surprised easily, but I was yesterday.

What was the last 40 years about?
Testing Accessibility

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

In the words of Neil Diamond, "Money talks...."

Plus Paisley's legacy is complete - he's top of the world, ma!

Donagh

Hardy

Sorry - missed the boating reference and didn't see yesterday's news. What's that about?

ziggysego

It was worse when a journalists asked has their relationship changed and Paisley replied

"No, it's still No, Never and No Surrender" then winked at McGuinness and they both laughed.

We are officially in the Twilight Zone.
Testing Accessibility

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2007, 11:40:06 AM
Sorry - missed the boating reference and didn't see yesterday's news. What's that about?

They were talking in the Assembly yesterday about re-establishing the ferry link between Ballycastle and Scotland. Marty offered to drive the boat, and much 'mirth' ensued.

I say put all 108 of them MLAs on the ferry and let it float off.

Hardy

Oh.

It's very strange OK, but isn't it great! I even took inspiration from it myself and invited Fearon for a pint recently. But he didn't show up*. I suppose SF-DUP detente is one thing ...

* [Edit] In fairness and to forestall the outbreak of WW3, I should point out that he said he didn't see the invitation in time and I believe him - it wouldn't be him to miss a freebie.

GweylTah

Quote from: balladmaker on June 21, 2007, 10:51:17 AM

Surely the DUP would then nominate someone else?  I mean, if McGuinness was to die during the life of this Assembly, Paisley wouldn't deputise for him, another SF person would be nominated by SF.  It's a joint office anyway, McGuinness obviously just laughs inwardly at the silly old fool fooling himself that he's the master and McGuinness his 'deputy'.

It's good to see they are getting on, but it must be very difficult for sufferers of IRA violence and victims of Paisley's blood-and-thunder sectarianism to watch this, and those peoples feeling do need to be considered, amid the progress.  Was all the pain and suffering, on all sides, really worth it all for this - while SF might well see this as part of a bigger and longer term plan, for Paisley in particular it just looks like he wanted to be the one to do the deal and be top dog and, when  he said so, compromise was no longer a dirty word.

guy crouchback

I see what you are saying Gwel and i suppose you are right. But if people are going to vote for these guys the best we can hope for is that they get on together.

ziggysego

Quote from: guy crouchback on June 21, 2007, 12:50:25 PM
I see what you are saying Gwel and i suppose you are right. But if people are going to vote for these guys the best we can hope for is that they get on together.

Yes, but to get on sooo well, sooo soon. Makes you wonder what the last 40 years was about.
Testing Accessibility

Long time dead

Quote from: ziggysego on June 21, 2007, 01:04:47 PM
Quote from: guy crouchback on June 21, 2007, 12:50:25 PM

Yes, but to get on sooo well, sooo soon. Makes you wonder what the last 40 years was about.

FFS it wasn't just about two individuals, now catch a grip.