Interview with Matt Connor

Started by AZOffaly, June 20, 2007, 08:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just came across this interview from 2001 on the internet. It's an interview with Matt Connor on Weeshie Fogarty's Terrace Talk on Radio Kerry. It's a tribute show to Matt and shows the esteem he is held in down in the Kingdom.

Our greatest ever player, and a shocking loss to Offaly. Set us back 10 years.

http://terracetalkireland.com/interviews/Matt-connor.htm

cicfada

IMHO the best player in the last 40 years anyway!!Such a loss to football. If anyone wants to know how good he was, just get your hands on a video of the 1980 semi-final against Kerry!!

Shamrock Shore

Best ever.

Had privelage of being up close to him in action in Pearse Park in Longford in 1984. I think his accident was 6 months later.

He was different class that day and saved Offaly's bacon all on his ownio.

Tatler Jack

Without doubt the best forward I ever saw in over 40 years watching games. Such a pity that his career was cut short in such a tragic manner.

Jinxy

He was years ahead of his time. One of the few players you can watch footage of from over 20 years ago, and say with absolute confidence that despite all the advances in training, fitness etc. if he was playing today, he'd still be a superstar. A pleasure to watch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Billys Boots

QuoteIMHO the best player in the last 40 years anyway

I'm with ye all here - best player I've ever seen.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

the Deel Rover

ye a brilliant player could make the ball talk i swear, brings me back to my youth when i used to pretend i was matt connor in the back garden a genius.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

5 Sams

Quote from: cicfada on June 20, 2007, 08:27:41 PM
IMHO the best player in the last 40 years anyway!!Such a loss to football. If anyone wants to know how good he was, just get your hands on a video of the 1980 semi-final against Offaly!!

Don't remember him getting a transfer???? ;D

Seriously though I remember him well......one of the games geniuses (sp?)...up there with O'Neill, Canavan, Mo Fitz....one of the best ever....did he make the Millenium team??
The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

Matt Connor is a living legend - he was out of this world !

Kerry Mike

Great player and off the field a really nice fellow, met him a few times since his accident.

One of the few players in the country at the time who would have got a place on Micko's Kerry team.

He was a genius with the ball, and had a great swerve and dummy and was a great score taker from play and off the ground.

Offaly would have probably made a challange for Sam again only for his unfortunate accident.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

a class act. people remember seamus darbys goal but the cool head of matt connor taking his points when others would only be thinking of goals is what i remember...

Kerry Mike

I recently converted a copy of the Kerry Golden Years to DVD and this evening had a look again at Matt, he had some great points and goals against Kerry in the 3 games he played against us in 80, 81 and of course 82.

If I get a ghance over the weekend I will stick up a few video clips of him here.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football