Wasp Nest Removal

Started by aontroim, June 19, 2007, 12:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 19, 2007, 02:20:58 PM

Quite true, Hardy, but I would repeat my own advice which is if you don't piss them off, and can avoid them, they'll not do you any harm, either.

I usually tend to live and let live, but I make an exception for wasps. I don't like slugs either, but I can understand their evolutionary significance and their value in the food chain. But what are wasps for?

What are wasps for? :D

They're predators actually, so they'll help keep a lot of insects that have the potential to be pests in check.

J70

Quote from: Gnevin on June 19, 2007, 02:32:44 PM
I have some stuff at home the use to kill insects on aircraft, i used it on the wasps under the shed and the insects in the ground 10 foot away came up and died . Mighty powerful stuff

You can get high-powered insecticide sprays over here in the US that allow you to stand a good distance from the nest a spray it. Might not be much good for wasps once they've built around the initial central cells, but you could aim it at the hole in the bottom as they come out. I would assume that kind of spray is available in Ireland too.

maddog

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2007, 02:43:50 PM
Apparatus - 1 hurl, 1 escape route, 1 pair of trainers, great speed.
Method - Hold the hurl in your two hands and approach the target with caution. When the target is within reach of the hurl, swing like fcuk (one or two good hits should be sufficient). Once you have landed the hit(s), turn and run like Pat Spillane's granny until you reach safety.
Leave it half an hour, go back and examine the damage you have inflicted on the target. You may need to repeat this method to be sure you get the result you are looking for.

that sounds like a trip to casualty

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2007, 02:43:57 PM
They're predators actually, so they'll help keep a lot of insects that have the potential to be pests in check.

That's a bit like saying the mafia keeps the crime rate down by killing other criminals.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2007, 02:43:50 PM
Apparatus - 1 hurl, 1 escape route, 1 pair of trainers, great speed.
Method - Hold the hurl in your two hands and approach the target with caution. When the target is within reach of the hurl, swing like fcuk (one or two good hits should be sufficient). Once you have landed the hit(s), turn and run like Pat Spillane's granny until you reach safety.
Leave it half an hour, go back and examine the damage you have inflicted on the target. You may need to repeat this method to be sure you get the result you are looking for.

Very good...  :D ;D :D
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 03:09:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2007, 02:43:57 PM

That's a bit like saying the mafia keeps the crime rate down by killing other criminals.

Assuming every one wiseguy kills dozens of other potential criminals, you're probably right.

aontroim

Got hold of local council pest control dept - £40 job done next day. Fella said now was time to get rid of nest as it'll grow and they'll get more aggressive as the summer goes on and numbers grow.

Normally would leave it be, but their flight path is going right through the patio / bbq / clothes-line.

Also found this;

http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/wasp_nest_hornets_nest_destroyer_kit.htm - probably the same thing the council guy will end up doing.

cville

Feckin Japanese Besterds! If its the size of a grapefruit then it may be a bit late.... I had them in the garage ... waited till about 11.00 at night and bingo! In with the spray and saturated them ...no more! But worse than wasps - BLUEBOTTLES ... bird died in our chimney a few years back... hundreds of them invaded the house ... still squirm when I see them .. Tell me this but I thought that Ireland did not have hornets... French, south of England type of thing...

full back

Quote from: cville on June 19, 2007, 03:52:35 PM
... bird died in our chimney a few years back...

Was she hiding from the Mrs?

Hereiam

You could try one of the following

1: Try and isolate one of them and present him with a suitcase of money to provide some inside information and then treaten to expose him to the other wasps if he doesn't influeance the rest of them to move on.

2: Again try to isolate one of them and break its legs and wings and nail it up nearby, that should scare the rest of them and they will move on.

Your choice  ;D

cville

;D ;D ;D Ref: "Bird died in our chimney" ... Did the Mrs Know? .... No because the Mrs was drugged, cut-up and buried under the floorboards, along with her interfering mother! She'll not demean me again. No way. I taught her alright. "Don't go out with your mates!" she said. Oh yes! I laughed longest there! Now pass the Domestos!

his holiness nb

"But what are wasps for?"

A truly wonderful question Hardy, they are just annoying little wankers that buzz around you wrecking your head, and hurting you occasionally, and they seem to like it.

You might call them the Ryan McMenamin of insects!
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

Why do people like Bees but hate wasps? I would go out of my way to get a bee out of the house unharmed, but wasps!!! get the paper and we have a classic example of man against beast, well a small one (beast that is)

Mothes, now that a flying bastard that does my head in, dont know why but they bug the hell out of me, Oh and those daddy longleg things, there dirty looking things, just hanging there by one leg..
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

You can get spray to kill the nest, do it at night, they'll be all dead in the morning, no sitting in casualty. 

I'd f**king ants coming in under the front door last year! f**kers!

One year me and two next door neighbours had millions and I mean millions of these green creepy crawlies all over the place for months! I looked everywhere to see what they were or where they came from and no answers.  The neighbours actually at one stage couldn't see through the glass in their back door with them crawled up on the door, it was unreal!  I sprayed the whole place with all sorts of stuff and within 10 minutes they would be back again, as bad as ever, millions of them!  They seemed to just go away eventually after maybe two months, I've never seen anything like them since! Gives me the creeps even thinking about them!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?