DAB Radio

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 18, 2007, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Just bought off ebay a UK DAB radio.

I can see various Irish DAB channels like RTE Gold etc but there is "No DAB Service"

Am I doing something wrong. Are there any digital radio broadcasting in ROI. RTE radio website has a digital section but is it actually broadcasting?

Any help would be appreciated (I hope the fact that it's a UK import is inconsquential)

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Thanks LL.

I did look at that site but missed this link which is of more interest

http://www.digitalradio.ie/coverage.htm

As I said I can see the station names in the panel so I am getting some sort of signal. Just no sound - I may need to re-configure it somehow.

ziggysego

UK DAB radios can't receive RTÉ.... if I'm not mistaken.
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

They can if they are in Ireland ziggy. Irish DAB is surely based on what's in the UK.

I think it's because the signal is shite - I see a signalometer showing 1 bar. I can nearly see Three Rock transmitter from the window so it must be down or summat.

The .1% of the population with DAB radios should protest.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Unfortunately, DAB radios are still a con - in the north, you only got about 5 extra stations so it's not (yet) worth forking out on one. Plus the reception is poor, like listening to medium wave at times.

And it has 5live on it which means you get wall-to-wall Alan Green. Another reason to switch off.

But if you are going to buy one, get it with FM also so you have a choice. I can't even pick up Digital RTÉ on mine. ::)
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"