Uibh Fhaili v Ath Cliath

Started by AZOffaly, June 18, 2007, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2007, 11:02:46 AM

Best of luck to Dublin in their quest for Sam, despite point 10 above. I think it would be good for Leinster for them to win it, and it would probably sate their hunger a bit as well. For us, it is back to the drawing board, and if some of the stories from the camp are true, it will be back to the drawing board with a lot of new faces.

Gracious as always AZ. Offaly have too strong a tradition to be away for very long.  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hound

Good analysis AZ.

Joe Quinn did get a touch on the ball before it went into the net. It clipped his forearm. The questionmark would be whether Vaughan fouled him as they were running in. On my first viewing of it on TV last night it looked a certain foul. Vaughan certainly pushed him in the back, but on my second viewing it looked like he pushed him after the deflection into the net, as the two players were losing their balance and about to crash into the net themselves. Jammy goal though, whatever way you look at it.

AZOffaly

That's our second OG in two games so. Must be a rarity, if not a record.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hound on June 25, 2007, 09:23:57 AM
if you think a Hill full of Offaly men wouldnt have reacted in the same way if a KK corner forward pulled up in front of them, then you're kidding yourself
Different circumstances yesterday, Dublin were playing against a weak enough team, were 95% certain of beating them by that stage and most on Hill wouldn't have a clue if Deehan was any good to be worth laughing at his misfortune.
Imagine if it was Geraghty who pulled up?
If Offaly were playing Carlow or Wicklow in Tullamore and one of their corner forwards buckled up like that, I would be amazed if it drew a cheer, no matter how many were at the game.

However if it did, I would have no problem condemning it and would be hoping that those kind of followers would shag off and not go to matches.
There were Offaly idiots yesterday who in their own way were just as bad as the worst on the Hill. Pity they made the trip.

Bord na Mona man

Also the point should be made that Deehan was generously applauded by the huge majority in the stadium, who (obviously) were practically all Dublin fans.

Declan

Fair analysis alright AZ. At least a Clara man got MoM though!!!

Gnevin

Did anyone feel that the ref allowed to much time for injury's when players where on the ground . Their must of been 20 minutes of play lots . Now Deehan was fair enough he was clearly  badly hurt but some of the players could of gotten treatment on the sideline or on the pitch while play continued
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Hill is Blue

An aside on the Deehan injury: play continued for some time as he lay on the ground. Eventually it was David Henry who stopped play by belting the ball out over the sideline. I can't be sure what his intention was but it looked to me by the casual way that he took the kick that he intended to stop play to allow Deehan to be seen.

When eventually Offaly took the sideline kick it was used to set up an attacking movement. I would have thought that the Offaly player taking the line ball should have kicked the ball down the line and out of play in the same spirit in which Henry seems to have acted.

Any thoughts?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

fearglasmor

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 25, 2007, 02:03:25 PM
An aside on the Deehan injury: play continued for some time as he lay on the ground. Eventually it was David Henry who stopped play by belting the ball out over the sideline. I can't be sure what his intention was but it looked to me by the casual way that he took the kick that he intended to stop play to allow Deehan to be seen.

When eventually Offaly took the sideline kick it was used to set up an attacking movement. I would have thought that the Offaly player taking the line ball should have kicked the ball down the line and out of play in the same spirit in which Henry seems to have acted.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the Offaly lads should have brought jars of vaseline with them too.  FFS.
If Henry intended to put that ball out of play then Eddie O'Sullivan could do worse than recruit him as understudy to O'Gara.

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 25, 2007, 02:03:25 PM

The physio came on despite the ref not stopping play. Henry certainly caught sight of Deehan still lying down and receiving attention as he had to be careful to avoid running into him, but I sincerely doubt he kicked it over the line on purpose!

tayto

Arent they trying to get rid of that from soccer because the players cant be trusted? how about Keaney getting booked for having the cheekt o be pulled down by the man he was trying to mark. Awful display from Collins, pulled several players up for steps when they'd only just caught the effing ball.

AZOffaly

There was any amount of overcarrying frees given against Dublin when they had just soloed the ball. It was unreal in fairness.

tayto

The Keaney for over carrying is up there with the worst decisions I've ever seen.
What the hell was he thinking blowing that up?
Seriously tho ... very frustrating to have a ref that poor ... didnt help the game get going at all

Rossfan

I know I shouldnt read it and shouldnt mention it anywhere - but Spillan in the Sunday Worst yeasterday referred to football's big 3 as Kerry Tyrone and  DUBLIN  :o :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2007, 07:11:47 PM
I know I shouldnt read it and shouldnt mention it anywhere - but Spillan in the Sunday Worst yeasterday referred to football's big 3 as Kerry Tyrone and  DUBLIN  :o :o

In fairness he does work for the Sunday World. They seem to have 8 pages devoted to Dublin every second weekend. ;D