Footie v Hurling

Started by In the Onion Bag, June 16, 2007, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think we can draw from it that Dublin bring huge support. If it were Meath and Kerry, the ground wouldn't have been near full.

Hardy

Ah well - nice try.

Seriously, though, what's wrong? Clearly there's a huge TV audience for top-class hurling. In other sports, popularity on TV means the sport thrives. Yet we're constantly hearing that hurling is in trouble, the player base diminishing, the number of counties with prospects of success dwindling, the club game ailing. What is the GAA doing wrong, or is there nothing wrong at all or what am I missing?

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 10:13:07 AM
Ah well - nice try.
What is the GAA doing wrong, or is there nothing wrong at all or what am I missing?

The GAA is riding two horses with the one arse, but the problem is probably greater at county board level with the vast majority fully committed to one sport to the detriment of the other barring the very odd dual county exception.

Resources are limited within each county so the one you're most likely to achieve greater honours will always take the greater chunk of resource, that's human nature and there isn't an easy answer to it.

Spiritof98

I was away on Sunday playing Hurling for my club and unable view any of the games. but I have enjoyed the above debate and i'll opinion for what its worth.

I have played football and hurling from the age of 12, both sports I have a passion to play and my heart strings have been pulled a few times as to who to play for (2 seperate clubs). Both sports have a wide range of skills needed in order to play at the highest level. Personally I would have went for the Hurling givin their recent history, I think any neutral fan would love to see Waterford win an All-Ireland.

Regarding which sport is the most skillful. Although I predominently play hurling now  when returning for pre season it was easier to adapt to the footballing skills and it took a few extra weeks to blow out the cob webs in my hurling skills, this could be seen as and indication of skill level (mine maybe)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Louth Exile

Big ball man myself and was at Croker myself on Sunday, what did I see in terms of GAA action this weekend.
Louth v Wexford - an awful game to watch for any neutral I'd have to say
Dublin v Meath - good game
Tyrone v Donegal - watched it on Setanta last night, Donegal were awful, bloody hand passing all over the place, losing the ball in the tackle and mis directed foot passing.

Limerick v Tipp - barring the first half, very entertaining game to watch
Crok v Waterford - clearly the game of the weekend, the year so far and maybe even the year as a whole

I was delighted to see that the hurling got higher viewing figures, if I had of been sitting at home myself it would have been the hurling, with the intermitten flick into the football. The two best games were the Munster hurling matches at the weekend (IMO)

As for the skill debate, I believe hurling wins hands down.

This raises the next point...... Dublin v Meath HAD to be soon live on the telly, how come it looks likely at the present moment that the same will not happen for Limerick v Tipp III
Is this another case of RTE sports dept being to far up their own hole???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Ever-cheerful, never say anything controversial Ding Dong Damien O'Reilly has just been on the radio saying RTÉ are going to announce shortly that Limerick-Tipp III will be live on d'telly. He was saying that the sports department is getting calls about it all morning, but also that as soon as it's announced, they'll be getting as many calls from people complaining that they have no choice but sport on Sunday afternoon.

Personally, I'd round them all up and re-open the Curragh gulag. Probably all Green voters too, so two birds killed with one stone.

scalder

This is a divisive argument when we should be celebrating the successful weekend that we just had. I was at the football in Croke Park and I was very tempted to leave and head to watch the hurling on TV but stayed on in the end. I enjoyed the football – and more especially the atmosphere generated in a full stadium!  I'd normally pick hurling over football, coming from a dual county I think I'm better placed than some others to comment on the merits of the two codes. Hurling is being played by more people, in more places than every in modern history – its not dying at all but there are problems. The game requires massive levels of skills just to compete, if lads aren't playing from a very early age and practicing constantly they haven't got a hope at the top level. Hurling is not a simple game with over 100 identified skills and its this complexity that is its genius and its weakness. Football is more competive at the intecounty level –but still has realistically only a handful of counties that can win Sam. People are free to differ and to enjoy what games they like however I do feel sorry for lads from counties who are deprived of exposure to the two games, like the lad from Donegal I know who had never picked up a hurl and he was 21! Both have their strengths, for me its hurling, due to speed, the skill, the bravery and the history and its uniqueness. (finding out the solo in Gaelic was invented in the 1920's undermines it historical case for me) Each to there own but hurling is for heroes!
The argument about filling Croke Park is a false one, this was a Munster game of course there would be a smaller crowd if you dragged them to Dublin!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 11:49:34 AM
Limerick-Tipp III will be live on d'telly.

Great  :D

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2007, 11:49:34 AM
Personally, I'd round them all up and re-open the Curragh gulag. Probably all Green voters too, so two birds killed with one stone.

Tut, tut, fascist SUV driver ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

No - my ould wagon has the spare wheel on the inside. :)

didlyi

Given the figures Ive seen the Limerick v Tipp match actaully topped the poll last weekend, albeit a standalone game. We were led to believe that because of the huge demand to watch the Dub/meath game they would have to show it in parralel with the hurling. Yet the figures now suggest that there would be greater demand to see the limerick/tipp game this sunday than there was to see the dub/meath game last sunday but no game on tv??

The Real Laoislad

Was working on a site today and i got talking to a Lituhanian fella..I asked him if he had seen Hurling and Gaelic Football while he was here
His response was that he "feckin loved the hurling"(his own words) but thought the football was dull and boring...He couldn't believe how the Hurlers put their hands up to catch a ball with all the sticks flying around(his words again) and also couldn't get over the speed of the game and he also added how he can't believe the players don't get paid..
His son is 5 and he was going to buy him one of the "hurl sticks" at the weekend
You'll Never Walk Alone.

BallyhaiseMan

This Gaelic Football V Hurling rubbish annoys my fuckin head  >:(

There should be no such f**kin thing,

They are both GAA sports.

Sure most of us favour one over the other,

But anyone who displays open hatred against one or the other, is a complete and utter c**t in my book.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 19, 2007, 05:01:23 PM
This Gaelic Football V Hurling rubbish annoys my fuckin head  >:(

There should be no such f**kin thing,

They are both GAA sports.

Sure most of us favour one over the other,

But anyone who displays open hatred against one or the other, is a complete and utter c**t in my book.

Yeah i agree with that
You'll Never Walk Alone.

deiseach

Sixteen years ago, Dublin - Meath floored any soccer renaissance in Ireland before it had even laced up its gloves - the renaissance might never have happened, but it was finished once David Beggy had knocked over that winning point. For crying out loud, even my mother sat down to watch the fourth game!

But Dublin - Meath isn't the attraction it once was. Attempts to hype this year's clash are living off the faded memories of the events of 1991. Cork - Waterford is the GAA rivalry of the Naughties, and the viewing figures reflected that.

Tyrone Dreamer

I hate the way that hurling fans feel the need to put football down at every possible opportunity. It was a great weekend for the GAA all round and the championship really has taken off. The last few weeks has provided some wonderful entertainment and the real good stuff is still to come in July/August. I thought the 1st Dublin Meath game was a cracker and so was the hurling at the weekend. Funny enough I didnt think the hurling on Saturday night was as good as many other games Ive saw this last few years. The point about the view figures has to also consider that the vast majority of the extra 80,000 that attended football on Sunday probably would have watched the football if they were at home. This was a 1 of victory for hurling in terms of viewing figures - generally the top watched matches in the championship are football. Also hurling may require more individual skill but due to the distances the ball is belted up the field it often doesnt require the same teamwork as football. Watch the Tyrone goal on Sunday - rarily do you see as good interchange play in hurling. All in all though the weekend should be celebrated as another great weekend for the gaa.