Sinead O'Connor RIP

Started by From the Bunker, July 26, 2023, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Having an opinion is clearly  not welcome on this thread  :o

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 11:20:43 AM
Having an opinion is clearly  not welcome on this thread  :o

You are entitled to it,  like everyone is. Others are entitled to disagree with it as well. Simple as that. I respect your right to have your opinion but I disagree with it. To paraphrase her last album we all should take this attitude'how about you be you and I be me' and all have an opinion

Dougal Maguire

Some clarification needed. Is this simply a Sinead O'Connor appreciation thread?  If so then it should only contain positive comments about her and her music. If it's not then surely anyone is entitled to voice their opinions, whatever they might be, without others making insulting comments about them.
Careful now

Brick Tamlin

Kinda thinking the same thing myself.
As usual (and this may be a wider point) there be hysterical eulogizing over people when the pass on and folk tend to get a bit over-dramatic.
And this isnt an attack on the person named on this thread, just merely an observation. Maybe an irish thing.

Pub Bore

Sinead O'Connor had a huge amount of talent and a brilliant voice, however (in my opinion) whenever she stopped singing and started talking, let's just say she could be a bit of a maverick.  Not the first artist to talk a load of balls and certainly not the last. RIP.

johnnycool

RIP Sinead,  Shuhada Sadaqat or whatever, the silken voice with the power of a cruise missile, unafraid to tackle the most despicable of subjects even when it would have been a lot easier to shy away from them like the rest of us in the herd for the easier life.

A true Irish legend whose legacy will stand the test of time and not truly appreciated during her own short lifespan...

mouview

Anyway. It turns out she died at her London home, having being found "unresponsive" by police responding to a call. No suspicious circumstances according to report.

Look-Up!

RIP. Iconic singer. Had her demons and had gone through some very very tough times lately so hope she has found peace. 

Whatever you think of her two things you could not call her would be a sheep or sell out. That at least should be something to appreciate by those who believe in expressing opinions no matter what. 

Main Street

She was a 100% diagnosed bipolar, a life long chronic manic depressive and most probably prescribed heavy anti psychotic medication. When people mention 'troubled' or 'unbalanced'  or 'beyond the pale' in an obit, cop on to yourselves.

I was taken aback at the news of her death, hard to credit she's gone and her smile is nomore.

tonto1888

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:44:29 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:31:50 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:15:50 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 26, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children
Please feel free to elaborate. Musically speaking.

I didn't think  she had a great voice.  It's  that simple.
Musically speaking, how did she not have a great voice?  Simple question.

In her songs, she was   either too whispery or as the post above  stated, shrill and shrieking

'haunted' is a great song , but she ruined it for me  with  her whispery singing

You don't need  to go all musically or  technical about it. Some  people can hit  most  of the Right  notes.  It doesn't mean  you like it.  She might have  sounded great to your ear , but  I honestly couldn't listen to her  most of the time

I never listened to enough of her stuff to really have an opinion but her duet with MacGowan - who was born in England by the way - in haunted was superb

tonto1888

Quote from: Pub Bore on July 27, 2023, 09:38:01 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2023, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 26, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children

You are entitled to your opinion, a strange time to voice it. Millions of people think differently. Ireland has created some legendary singers and songwriters. Sinead O Connor was one, Shane NcGowan another. When they are gone will we have anyone left with half their talent?

Did she not tout on Shane?

for his own good. It was due to his heroin habit. I think they made up

shawshank

Quote from: Main Street on July 27, 2023, 12:58:50 PM
She was a 100% diagnosed bipolar, a life long chronic manic depressive and most probably prescribed heavy anti psychotic medication. When people mention 'troubled' or 'unbalanced'  or 'beyond the pale' in an obit, cop on to yourselves.

I was taken aback at the news of her death, hard to credit she's gone and her smile is nomore.

thats my post to.

weareros

One thing I meant to say, while she has her own body of wonderful original work, much of it that never got the airplay it deserved, she was never too precious to sing a song like Beautiful Bundoran - as she did in The Butcher Boy and sing it in a spellbinding haunting way. Similar with her Sean Nos Nua album, she took old Irish songs like Báidín Fheilimi and breathed new life into them.

ardtole

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
RIP Sinead,  Shuhada Sadaqat or whatever, the silken voice with the power of a cruise missile, unafraid to tackle the most despicable of subjects even when it would have been a lot easier to shy away from them like the rest of us in the herd for the easier life.

A true Irish legend whose legacy will stand the test of time and not truly appreciated during her own short lifespan...

I'd agree with everything there. She was fearless and sacrificed her career to an extent, for what she believed in. Ridiculed mercilessly at the time, but ultimately proved to be right.