What did your county get out of 2023 ?

Started by seafoid, July 17, 2023, 01:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

A good year for Monaghan, Derry, Meath, Cork, Ros, Down....

Derryman forever

The promise of better to come.

But promises are not always delivered. Here is hoping.

seafoid

Galway got injuries. Hopefully next year will be better.

naka

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

I don't think it could be described as anything other than very disappointing from an Armagh perspective.  Midway through the league programme I thought we've a wee chance here of winning the league here, then there looked to be a detectable change of energy in the set up as we appeared to be safe or on the verge of it (time to try a few things but didn't even really do that) but  to end up relegated was absolutely criminal.  What makes it worse is that D2 will be a bearpit next season as well and we won't have the luxury of being able to experiment too much

I noticed a tweet from Cahir O'Kane last night about the value of knocking your pan in going for an Ulster Title in this new set up and will it be worth it any more, I think the answer is a definite no.  Armagh had a gift of a draw in the USFC so couldn't do anything other than target the Ulster Champ but I personally though Mayo's (unintended) approach was the one for us tbh, a solid league and bugger the provincials.  I think the Ulster Champ will increasingly be like the Carabao Cup, it'll only come onto counties radar if you get a favourable draw and are going to end up in the final without killing yourself.

After the weekend's games I still don't think we're too far away (but we've a very short window of opportunity) the way Derry played yesterday is the type of game I expected us to come out and play v Monaghan in the QF, but we had no balls.  I hope McGeeney stays and there's a positive change in direction on field,  we also need the peripheral players to stay and fight for their place - Cian McConville didn't get much game time this year but hopefully he'll add something new to the forward line next year, McPartlan had a great debut year and hopefully will come back stronger. Hopefully Oisin O'Neill will get a bit of luck and come back in to the team as well.

maddog

Same here. Mcgeeney stay on, change the style and get rid of whoever is driving that negative shite.

Mario

A McKenna cup, a promotion, a national scandal, an ulster championship and a sickening AI semi final defeat. Eventful to say the least but very enjoyable.

5times5times

Quote from: bennydorano on July 17, 2023, 03:13:53 PM
I don't think it could be described as anything other than very disappointing from an Armagh perspective.  Midway through the league programme I thought we've a wee chance here of winning the league here, then there looked to be a detectable change of energy in the set up as we appeared to be safe or on the verge of it (time to try a few things but didn't even really do that) but  to end up relegated was absolutely criminal.  What makes it worse is that D2 will be a bearpit next season as well and we won't have the luxury of being able to experiment too much

I noticed a tweet from Cahir O'Kane last night about the value of knocking your pan in going for an Ulster Title in this new set up and will it be worth it any more, I think the answer is a definite no.  Armagh had a gift of a draw in the USFC so couldn't do anything other than target the Ulster Champ but I personally though Mayo's (unintended) approach was the one for us tbh, a solid league and bugger the provincials.  I think the Ulster Champ will increasingly be like the Carabao Cup, it'll only come onto counties radar if you get a favourable draw and are going to end up in the final without killing yourself.

After the weekend's games I still don't think we're too far away (but we've a very short window of opportunity) the way Derry played yesterday is the type of game I expected us to come out and play v Monaghan in the QF, but we had no balls.  I hope McGeeney stays and there's a positive change in direction on field,  we also need the peripheral players to stay and fight for their place - Cian McConville didn't get much game time this year but hopefully he'll add something new to the forward line next year, McPartlan had a great debut year and hopefully will come back stronger. Hopefully Oisin O'Neill will get a bit of luck and come back in to the team as well.

Div2 a bearpit, really? Meath Louth Kildare Donegal Cavan Fermanagh & Cork..

An Watcher

armaghniac

Quote from: 5times5times on July 17, 2023, 03:53:51 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 17, 2023, 03:13:53 PM

Div2 a bearpit, really? Meath Louth Kildare Donegal Cavan Fermanagh & Cork..

I think Armagh can beat any of these, but as bennydorano said you'd have to put out a decent team, you couldn't be trying new players too much. On the positive side they aren't too hard to get to for Armagh people, except Cork.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on July 17, 2023, 03:43:43 PM
A McKenna cup, a promotion, a national scandal, an ulster championship and a sickening AI semi final defeat. Eventful to say the least but very enjoyable.

+1

We also unearthed a few talented new senior players in Eoin McEvoy, Oisin McWilliams and Lachlan Murray.
And the minors won the AI. As a county, probably only the AI winners will have bettered us in 2023.

statto

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 17, 2023, 04:11:13 PM

+1

We also unearthed a few talented new senior players in Eoin McEvoy, Oisin McWilliams and Lachlan Murray.
And the minors won the AI. As a county, probably only the AI winners will have bettered us in 2023.
Did he really make any type of contribution?

Mc Evoy was a find certainly allowing Rogers to be freed up any holding Geaney scoreless in AI semi at such a young age, Murray has bags of potential too and showed glimpses of what he about. 

tbrick18

Quote from: statto on July 17, 2023, 04:47:51 PM

+1

Mc Evoy was a find certainly allowing Rogers to be freed up any holding Geaney scoreless in AI semi at such a young age, Murray has bags of potential too and showed glimpses of what he about.

He was an excellent impact sub during the league. Immense against Dublin in Celtic Park.
When fit...will help answer those issues in our forward line I think.
A FF line of McGuigan, McWilliams and Murray would be more menacing I think. Both a little young and inexperienced this year, but next year hopefully see them improve more.

statto

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 17, 2023, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: statto on July 17, 2023, 04:47:51 PM

+1

He was an excellent impact sub during the league. Immense against Dublin in Celtic Park.
When fit...will help answer those issues in our forward line I think.
A FF line of McGuigan, McWilliams and Murray would be more menacing I think. Both a little young and inexperienced this year, but next year hopefully see them improve more.
Couple of big moments for Toner missing the goal chance and Loughlin had a chance to put Derry two up again.