Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 20, 2023, 03:31:21 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 18, 2023, 10:51:28 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 16, 2023, 11:30:19 PM
From gaelicstatsman

David Clifford needs 0-5 or more to top the overall list for this year

It's all to play for the 'from play' list, Colm Basquel (30), Con O'Callaghan (29) and Clifford (28) all involved in the All Ireland final

Did Shane McGuigan point at the end to give himself a better chance at top scorer.....?

Clifford will easily score more than 4 in the final.

This didn't age well

full moon

Quote from: JoG2 on July 31, 2023, 10:42:42 AM
Quote from: full moon on July 31, 2023, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: straightred on July 31, 2023, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 11:24:32 PM
I didn't even know Costello was on the pitch to be honest
This is why those lads have 9 medals and a few more have 7 and 8. Costello was the main reason (maybe only reason) they got past Monaghan. Yesterday someone else steps up when he has a quiet day. Most counties, including Kerry, need their top men to step up every day
Exactly. Name another team in history that could afford to use Jack McCaffrey from the bench. Impossible.

I actually thought Lee Gannon was doing decent enough at times. Yellow card, substituted. Ruthless because they can be with that strength in depth.

What's tiring is people thinking that other teams are close to Dublin when they are a million miles away from that depth. They will almost certainly be in the final nearly every year for the next decade again. Too strong.

Name the players coming through who will be replacing the likes of Cluxton, Rock, Mannion, Mccarthy etc to keep Dublin in final after final for the next decade?

Dean Rock has been a bit part player in recent times, he's barely playing as is. Mannion and Cluxton, both of whom have not played in recent years. Cluxton is probably the greatest keeper ever and was missing for the previous 2.5 years.

Are people not forgetting who replaced Philly McMahon, Bernard Brogan, Alan Brogan, Michael Darragh McCauley, Cian O'Sullivan, Paddy Andrews, Diarmuid Connolly, Paul Flynn, Johnny Cooper, Kevin McManamon etc?

Thats a list of just some of the players they lost in recent times, some of the best players ever and they haven't lost a step. What we have is people and media hoping they fall back to stop the domination.

Dubh driocht

This is why those lads have 9 medals and a few more have 7 and 8. Costello was the main reason (maybe only reason) they got past Monaghan. Yesterday someone else steps up when he has a quiet day. Most counties, including Kerry, need their top men to step up every day
Exactly. Name another team in history that could afford to use Jack McCaffrey from the bench. Impossible.

I actually thought Lee Gannon was doing decent enough at times. Yellow card, substituted. Ruthless because they can be with that strength in depth.

What's tiring is people thinking that other teams are close to Dublin when they are a million miles away from that depth. They will almost certainly be in the final nearly every year for the next decade again. Too strong.
I agree. It's the greatest challenge to our game ; I admire the Dubs, and especially their players, but the contest has become totally unfair.  We're a nation of romantics but 21 and 22 were an aberration , and it will become the exception for Dublin not to be in the final. I also admire Oisin McConville as a pundit but he got it wrong by stating on numerous occasions this year that Dublin wouldn't win it.
On a separate note I think David Gough was man of the match.

JoG2

Quote from: full moon on July 31, 2023, 11:12:17 AM

Name the players coming through who will be replacing the likes of Cluxton, Rock, Mannion, Mccarthy etc to keep Dublin in final after final for the next decade?

Dean Rock has been a bit part player in recent times, he's barely playing as is. Mannion and Cluxton, both of whom have not played in recent years. Cluxton is probably the greatest keeper ever and was missing for the previous 2.5 years.

Are people not forgetting who replaced Philly McMahon, Bernard Brogan, Alan Brogan, Michael Darragh McCauley, Cian O'Sullivan, Paddy Andrews, Diarmuid Connolly, Paul Flynn, Johnny Cooper, Kevin McManamon etc?

Thats a list of just some of the players they lost in recent times, some of the best players ever and they haven't lost a step. What we have is people and media hoping they fall back to stop the domination.

You've pretty much done my next reply for me there

Mario

I didn’t even know Costello was on the pitch to be honest

Haven't lost a step? This Dublin team is a long way from the 5 in a row team. There will be a drop off when they lose Cluxton, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Fitzsimmons. Mannion and Kilkenny are both around 30. What we've seen in the last 3 years from Dublin is what we will see in the next decade. They will always be in the mix but they won't dominate.

RedHand88

They needed the old guard to get over the line yesterday. That card won't be available for much longer. Kerry will be wondering how they lost a 3 point lead twice.

tonto1888

Quote from: JoG2 on July 31, 2023, 11:16:20 AM

You've pretty much done my next reply for me there

Mannion and. Justin didn't play much in the last couple years and they didn't win much. Both contributed a lot to yesterdays win

WT4E

Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 20, 2023, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 20, 2023, 04:44:39 PM
From gaelicstatsman

It's all to play for the 'from play' list, Colm Basquel (30), Con O'Callaghan (29) and Clifford (28) all involved in the All Ireland final

Did Shane McGuigan point at the end to give himself a better chance at top scorer.....?

No, he did not.

If he's as good as the Derry folk say it can be the only reasonable explanation

You're on a roll WT4E!

Fair play to McGuigan on Top Scorer award took some balls to go for the point but worked out for him in the end.  :D

restorepride

Quote from: WT4E on July 31, 2023, 02:02:18 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2023, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 20, 2023, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 20, 2023, 04:44:39 PM
From gaelicstatsman

No, he did not.

If he's as good as the Derry folk say it can be the only reasonable explanation

You're on a roll WT4E!

Fair play to McGuigan on Top Scorer award took some balls to go for the point but worked out for him in the end.  :D
Apparently that is why Clifford deliberately missed a sitter to equalise at the end yesterday, so that McGuigan could win it.  Nice gesture. ;D

HokeyPokey

For five years or so, nobody could touch Dublin, Mayo could give them a game, but still weren't at that level.

Dublin will be there or there abouts, no doubt. But the playing field is much more level now.

yellowcard

Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 31, 2023, 03:47:29 PM
For five years or so, nobody could touch Dublin, Mayo could give them a game, but still weren't at that level.

Dublin will be there or there abouts, no doubt. But the playing field is much more level now.

I don't think they will, at least for a few years anyway until they bed in some new players. I'd expect a raft of retirements now that they have got their 9th AI medal. That was the last sting of a dying wasp yesterday but it was still good enough to eke out another All Ireland.

gallsman

Doesn't feel like a dying sting to me, they've been the best team all year pretty clearly. Anything I've read or heard in the last 24 hours has pointed to the three lads with 9 medals coming back again

Captain Scarlet

Why would they retire??
McCarthy is a beast who still has the legs. Fitzsimons never relied on physique.
Cuxton is a keeper...

Then you'd imagine an injury free McCaffrey with a full preseason under him is like a new man.
Some others like Basquel stepped up too.
Con was average, so he's going to be flying next year...

Why walk away from that?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Wildweasel74

Best team all year, they were poor the whole way through the Div 2 league till the final,, couldn't beat Roscommon, They come strong late on, but not many expected them to go any further than a semi earlier in the year.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 31, 2023, 04:49:35 PM
Why would they retire??
For similar reasons that they chose to retire last year.
Would they stay on another year? I don't know, I guess it's a huge committment to get up to that level of fitnesss, it's not as if they can just miss training, waltz into matchday and put in a peerless performance like a crocked Paul McGrath did  time and time again at the top level.

I'm inclined to agree with yellowcard, I don't think the Dubs would have won the AI without the oul fellahs and let's not forget Gilroy who bailed out a struggling rookie manager. Take  one incident near the end of the match when the Dubs lost possession in front of Kerry goals and after a bit of too and fro, upped the agresssion to that level that only those lads could engineer, won back the ball and scored an invaluable. point.

I speculate that Dessie knew in his heart  that the Dubs were not good enough and did what was needed to build the winning formula.  And I'd say Derry are not going away until they win Sam.