Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2023, 01:52:15 PM
Or maybe now is the time for a new to come in a get a new tune out of the old fiddles?  No matter what the 2 Brian's would never have won an AI. Perhaps Geezer is at that point too where no matter what he does with this group they will not make the final push through. He couldn't do it with Kildare. He got them to a certain level and that was it. Maybe he is not a 'lucky' manager....Joe Kernan was a very good manager but he was also 'lucky'. I was in a meeting where it was give or take whether he would stay in the Cross job prior to when we made the breakthrough. He was 'lucky' as he had a group of talented players coming through and they then went on to bedrock his Armagh team. We won lots of game by 1-2 points,  lucky points, battled hard, but we always seemed to come out on the right side of the bounce,  same in 2002. I don't think that 'luck' follows Geezer and that's a reality.
Bcb1
Cross objected to Mc geeney I believe
Although it's second hand information so can't confirm this ( joys of law )
For me he gets another year
The vote against was minimal so it will be reasserted that he gets another year
I do agree though that he needs to buck up

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 29, 2023, 03:39:51 PM
Nothing change for Armagh nxt year, if they keep at current form they wouldn't progress any more, they might actually regress. Derry won more this year and played better and I am of the opinion that they need Malachy O'Rourke if they are to push on, mainly because he be fit to bring in a no.of players who wouldn't play for, Gallagher. I still keep Meenagh but from the Clifford Situation additional help is required Management wise.
Who have you in mind?

Orior

2024 Division 2 (in no particular order)
1.   Armagh
2.   Donegal
3.   Louth
4.   Cork
5.   Kildare
6.   Meath
7.   Fermanagh
8.   Cavan

I'd expect to win all home games and the majority of away games.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5times5times

After O'Neill's videoed actions yesterday, surely McGeeney/new manager can't have him as the leader of the team?

armaghniac

Quote from: 5times5times on July 31, 2023, 07:08:28 PM
After O'Neill's videoed actions yesterday, surely McGeeney/new manager can't have him as the leader of the team?

He shouldn't have been anyway. He is still relatively young and isn't especially a leader in that sense.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: Orior on July 30, 2023, 07:37:26 PM
1.   Armagh
2.   Donegal
3.   Louth
4.   Cork
5.   Kildare
6.   Meath
7.   Fermanagh
8.   Cavan

Deluded

statto

Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2023, 01:14:36 PM
1.   Armagh
2.   Donegal
3.   Louth
4.   Cork
5.   Kildare
6.   Meath
7.   Fermanagh
8.   Cavan

Deluded

In what sense?  Armagh have lost AI quarter finals in last 2 years and biggest losing margin against any division 1 side was three points last year.  They will be favourites for promotion and have been competitive at a higher level consistently more than any other side in the division.   

Donegal a shambles last year, Louth are punching well above their weight, Cork are improving but probably need to find a couple of forwards, Kildare and Meath are inconsistent, Fermanagh will be dogged but lack quality upfront, Cavan Armagh disposed of with a bit to spare in championship. 

armaghniac

Quote from: statto on August 01, 2023, 01:32:47 PM
In what sense?  Armagh have lost AI quarter finals in last 2 years and biggest losing margin against any division 1 side was three points last year.  They will be favourites for promotion and have been competitive at a higher level consistently more than any other side in the division.   

Donegal a shambles last year, Louth are punching well above their weight, Cork are improving but probably need to find a couple of forwards, Kildare and Meath are inconsistent, Fermanagh will be dogged but lack quality upfront, Cavan Armagh disposed of with a bit to spare in championship.

Indeed Armagh have become more consistent, they are never out of any game in the league, their failure comes about from a lack of pushing on an extra bit when the occasion calls for it.
Being two points short of a Div 1 team should still give a good chance against as Div 2 team. We bear Donegal this year, we able to deal with Cavan in the championship. Fermanagh are no better than Cavan. Louth might be dangerous, they would like to beat Armagh. Armagh might well win two out of three against Meath, Cork and Kildare.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Next seasons League seems like an eternity away at the minute given that the AI series is only just finished. I think I'd be waiting until after the vote on the McGeeney management team before I'd be rushing to judgement on next season.

tonto1888

Quote from: statto on August 01, 2023, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2023, 01:14:36 PM
1.   Armagh
2.   Donegal
3.   Louth
4.   Cork
5.   Kildare
6.   Meath
7.   Fermanagh
8.   Cavan

Deluded

The child is best ignored mate

rrhf

Will Armagh defend their way to a national league 2 title. I don't think so. Most of them teams you don't rate will have a go at them and Armagh will bend over and take it..

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

rrhf

Not necessarily. Armagh showed white flags against Derry. Kerry in the league and against Monaghan. Didn't go for the win in those three games. Am I wrong?

Armamike

It's one thing saying we played too conservatively this year (which we did), but that's a bit different to lying down and 'taking it' Nobody beat us handily this year, every team we played had to work like hell to beat us. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

rrhf

I suspect that div 2 will be a lot of tough games next season. Regardless of championship form and ability it's a very level league