derry v cork 02/07/23

Started by HiMucker, June 27, 2023, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 29, 2023, 11:11:18 PM
Cork the underdogs this time around, but traditionally they are big guns.

Derry definite favourites. There is an aura of champions with this team and we are all part of the journey.
We don't have auras in Derry nor ego and you are not on our journey. Find your own journey on Saturday.

Wildweasel74

Cork havent been big guns in at leat 12yrs.

Wildweasel74

Derry down now to just 27players with injuries, lose any more we might have a 26 barely for the semi if we progress.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 29, 2023, 11:17:40 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 29, 2023, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 29, 2023, 08:42:19 PM
Do cork have a chance?

I think if Cork had a full deck to pick from they'd have a right crack at it, but Hurley especially is a huge loss. He'd take marking so it makes it easier for Derry. The midfield battle will be one to watch here. Should be good.

Hurley a loss but it's worth noting he only scored 0-2(1f) against Mayo before going off injured on 55 mins and Cork would go on to outscore Mayo 1-6 to 1-1 to win by 3. Didn't feature at all in their victory against Roscommon.  Cork in the last couple of games had a good spread of scorers, with defenders and subs making big impacts.  One can't underestimate that the last two matches took a lot out of Cork and fresher Derry should be winning probably by closing the game out in the final 15 mins.

He's been struggling with injuries of late and then his hammer went badly enough in Mayo game, so as you say he hasn't been as effective as he can be. But he showed flashes in Kerry game of what he can do and if he were in any sort of shape Derry would be forced to man-mark him if he was out there which would improve the outlook for Cork forwards around him.

He most likely won't play though unfortunately for Cork. Derry would win even if he were there I feel anyway.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

God14

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 29, 2023, 11:56:58 PM
Derry down now to just 27players with injuries, lose any more we might have a 26 barely for the semi if we progress.

Did Derry call in a sub keeper? Scullion had his wrist in a cast did he not

statto

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 30, 2023, 01:59:30 AM
Do cork have a chance?

I think if Cork had a full deck to pick from they'd have a right crack at it, but Hurley especially is a huge loss. He'd take marking so it makes it easier for Derry. The midfield battle will be one to watch here. Should be good.

Hurley a loss but it's worth noting he only scored 0-2(1f) against Mayo before going off injured on 55 mins and Cork would go on to outscore Mayo 1-6 to 1-1 to win by 3. Didn't feature at all in their victory against Roscommon.  Cork in the last couple of games had a good spread of scorers, with defenders and subs making big impacts.  One can't underestimate that the last two matches took a lot out of Cork and fresher Derry should be winning probably by closing the game out in the final 15 mins.

He's been struggling with injuries of late and then his hammer went badly enough in Mayo game, so as you say he hasn't been as effective as he can be. But he showed flashes in Kerry game of what he can do and if he were in any sort of shape Derry would be forced to man-mark him if he was out there which would improve the outlook for Cork forwards around him.

He most likely won't play though unfortunately for Cork. Derry would win even if he were there I feel anyway.

Hurleys ball winning ability and directness will be a huge loss.  Even if hes not scoring hes asking questions of defenders are bringing others into the game. 

imtommygunn

He's been very hit and miss with injuries Hurley. Had the potential to be one of the best about when he came on the scene but dropped off with injuries etc.

Where are his brothers now? There was one who was a sub the other year and looked useful but doesn't appear to be about now.

tbrick18

Do cork have a chance?

Momentum and confidence within Cork will be huge after Mayo/Roscommon/Kerry games.
Cork have more than a chance, they have a good chance. It's possibly the draw they would have wanted for this game.
By no means a foregone conclusion, hopefully I'm wrong though and Derry run riot.

tbrick18

Quote from: God14 on June 30, 2023, 08:46:52 AM

Thomas Mallon I believe.

toby47

Quote from: God14 on June 30, 2023, 08:46:52 AM

Yeah last years GK coach, Thomas Mallon.

Tried to coax Conlan Bradley back in, but he declined.

toby47

Quote from: statto on June 30, 2023, 09:10:16 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 30, 2023, 01:59:30 AM
Do cork have a chance?

Hurleys ball winning ability and directness will be a huge loss.  Even if hes not scoring hes asking questions of defenders are bringing others into the game.

Hurley named on the bench, he will 100% play a part this weekend.

Wildweasel74

Well let's hope Lynch doesn't get injured, could we not called in the U-20 keeper.

seanyb

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2023, 04:25:04 PM
Well let's hope Lynch doesn't get injured, could we not called in the U-20 keeper.

After the U-20 final I think not...postie a good safe option

Wildweasel74

Was that not the bck up keeper in the U-20, I seen postie a few weeks ago, lad not fit to come to the 45, and I not mention the high ball. We been here before and he wasn't what was required previous.