Remortgage advice

Started by tbrick18, June 20, 2023, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

The announcement today which will allow a change from repayment to interest only for 6 months will certainly a lot of people which will give them some breathing room in the hope rates aren't as high in 6 months but for some its just a stay of execution.

Anyone with a mortgage of £250,000 their looking at paying around £10,000 a year extra then they would have been 12 months ago, that will put plenty of families on the breadline.

Surely a rise in income tax would help bring inflation down.

tbrick18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 23, 2023, 04:26:09 PM
The announcement today which will allow a change from repayment to interest only for 6 months will certainly a lot of people which will give them some breathing room in the hope rates aren't as high in 6 months but for some its just a stay of execution.

Anyone with a mortgage of £250,000 their looking at paying around £10,000 a year extra then they would have been 12 months ago, that will put plenty of families on the breadline.

All the interest rate "help" does is kick the can down the road. Do they expect interest rates to drop in 6 months? Typically interest rate rises take several months (maybe even 6) to have any impact on inflation. So in 6 months, how can anyone expect a drop in rates if yesterday's rate rise hasn't had enough time to impact inflation?
It doesnt make sense to me.
It feels more like a solution to make it look like government are helping, but they're not really.

Saffrongael

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 23, 2023, 04:58:34 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 23, 2023, 04:26:09 PM

All the interest rate "help" does is kick the can down the road. Do they expect interest rates to drop in 6 months? Typically interest rate rises take several months (maybe even 6) to have any impact on inflation. So in 6 months, how can anyone expect a drop in rates if yesterday's rate rise hasn't had enough time to impact inflation?
It doesnt make sense to me.
It feels more like a solution to make it look like government are helping, but they're not really.

What do you recommend they do with mortgages ? Not having a go, curious to what people think.

There aren't any great options as far as I can see
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Hereiam

This is the quickest way for the government to pull all that COVID money out of the economy without raising taxes which is political suicide. We all knew this was going to happen once things got back to normal. This will induce a resession to kerb inflation which is the only option they have.

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 23, 2023, 01:45:59 PM
Are house prices on the slide now with the constant increase in interest rates ?

I'd say that's the way we're heading.

As I mentioned earlier, demand to buy houses is not the same. No real bidding wars as far as I can see. For Sales signs are staying up.

People are a bit worried with all these rate rises and are sitting tight.  The asking prices will have to drop a good bit for people to bite I think.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Hereiam on June 23, 2023, 05:48:19 PM
This is the quickest way for the government to pull all that COVID money out of the economy without raising taxes which is political suicide. We all knew this was going to happen once things got back to normal. This will induce a resession to kerb inflation which is the only option they have.

We're all paying for Covid and the war as we knew we would

Milltown Row2

Was a lovely 3 months off though ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2023, 06:37:17 PM

Maybe for those who were able to get the time off.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clarshack on June 23, 2023, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2023, 06:37:17 PM

Maybe for those who were able to get the time off.

It was, thankfully I managed to get back to work  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Dougal Maguire

How do UK interest rates compare with Ireland and the rest of the UK?
Careful now

RedHand88

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 24, 2023, 10:27:13 AM

Rest of the EU im assuming you mean.
Crap, essentially. UK is 8.7%, Ireland is 6.6%, Germany is 6.1%. France is 5.1%.

Saffrongael

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 24, 2023, 10:51:18 AM

Crap, essentially. UK is 8.7%, Ireland is 6.6%, Germany is 6.1%. France is 5.1%.

Is 8.7% not inflation, as opposed to the interest rates? It's 5%
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

armaghniac

As I posted a couple of pages back, AIB charge a variable rate of 3.3% in the south and 7.25% in the North.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 24, 2023, 11:05:57 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 24, 2023, 10:51:18 AM

Is 8.7% not inflation, as opposed to the interest rates? It's 5%

Sorry, half asleep.