Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Well if its not good for them to play before a big crowd in seniors, playing before a big crowd in Croker not help.

straightred

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 08:53:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 25, 2023, 08:27:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 07:56:27 PM
Quote from: onefineday on June 25, 2023, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 25, 2023, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: onefineday on June 25, 2023, 06:45:26 PM
Quote from: markl121 on June 25, 2023, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 25, 2023, 06:31:42 PM
Shocking decision for penalty. Ref ruining it.
Clear foot block lol
Stupid needless rule.

It's a rule because it's dangerous.
Can easily result in broken ankle for the kicker.
Or so the urban myth goes.
The incident in that game was not in any way dangerous. A foot block where a player uses his foot to block a ball that has clearly left the opponent's foot is no more dangerous than a block using hands, arms, chest whatever. I've played and watched a lot of football in my time and I can only recall ever seeing an actual dangerous 'foot block' once, but I've heard many's a roar from spectators for one!
It's like square ball, unpoliceable, so just get rid of it.
The action it attempts to stamp out could be covered by other types of dangerous play - no need for the specific naming of a part of the body.

Is that tackle ok then during play on any part of the pitch by any player?

So basically you're saying throwing your feet to block the ball is fine
The foot block is used in every soccer match, In all my years watching I don't remember one injury to the kicker.
It's a needless rule backed up by an urban myth.
No comparison with the foul play should an opposing player kick out the ball when it is about to be picked up.

But it's a rule and everyone knows that they run the risk of a ref applying the rules, ref's are dammed if they don't implement the rules and (as above) dammed if they do!
That's the point. You might not like the rule but it is a rule and its up to the ref to enforce it. I don't like the pick up rule. I think its adds nothing to the game and I'd like if the men followed the women and scrapped it. However until they do I'll have to put up with it.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: straightred on June 25, 2023, 09:38:59 PM
Clear foot block lol
Stupid needless rule.

The incident in that game was not in any way dangerous. A foot block where a player uses his foot to block a ball that has clearly left the opponent's foot is no more dangerous than a block using hands, arms, chest whatever. I've played and watched a lot of football in my time and I can only recall ever seeing an actual dangerous 'foot block' once, but I've heard many's a roar from spectators for one!
The action it attempts to stamp out could be covered by other types of dangerous play - no need for the specific naming of a part of the body.

The foot block is used in every soccer match, In all my years watching I don't remember one injury to the kicker.
No comparison with the foul play should an opposing player kick out the ball when it is about to be picked up.

But it's a rule and everyone knows that they run the risk of a ref applying the rules, ref's are dammed if they don't implement the rules and (as above) dammed if they do!
That's the point. You might not like the rule but it is a rule and its up to the ref to enforce it. I don't like the pick up rule. I think its adds nothing to the game and I'd like if the men followed the women and scrapped it. However until they do I'll have to put up with it.

Are ye for real ?
The day the pick up rule goes, as per the women, im finished
Nothing against the woman's game but there's nothing as amuetirish looking as that
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Main Street

Clear foot block lol
Stupid needless rule.

Absolutely, the ref was 100% correct to apply the law. My gripe is with the rule not the ref.

Milltown Row2

You'd be happy then if players all over the pitch decided to throw their feet towards the ball in GAA cause you see it in soccer and feel it's ok?

The same soccer that players when they get tickled in the ear throw themselves down and roll about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 10:25:51 PM
You'd be happy then if players all over the pitch decided to throw their feet towards the ball in GAA cause you see it in soccer and feel it's ok?

The same soccer that players when they get tickled in the ear throw themselves down and roll about?
Strawmanning? :) Stick to reffing,  to debate rationally is not your thing. You obviously have not seen John Giles tackling like a combine harvester.

Square Ball

What does the rule actually state regarding the foot block?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on June 25, 2023, 10:38:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 10:25:51 PM

Strawmanning? :) Stick to reffing,  to debate rationally is not your thing. You obviously have not seen John Giles tackling like a combine harvester.

You brought soccer into it. Stick to the subject
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

straightred

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 25, 2023, 10:07:15 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 25, 2023, 09:38:59 PM
Clear foot block lol
Stupid needless rule.

Are ye for real ?
The day the pick up rule goes, as per the women, im finished
Nothing against the woman's game but there's nothing as amuetirish looking as that
OK - we'll agree to differ on that but the point is that its a rule and even though we mighn't like it, its still a rule and its the refs job to enforce the rules

Milltown Row2

It's an easy one to enforce... there was a few 'throw' balls today, seems the bogballers are copying the hurlers

restorepride

The main thing is that the Dublin No 7 is sanctioned for his deliberate stamp on a Derry player.

Rawhide

That second half was a good a performance as as team could want. It was brilliant from the lads.
cccc is a true supporter lol

markl121

Final confirmed for 9th July at 1pm in armagh

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

onefineday

Incredible scoring from young mcginnity - is he Stephen's son?

Monaghan scores very concentrated versus a big spread of scorers from Derry.
The two of them seem to be well ahead of the rest (tyrone aside) - you'd really have to question the need for penalties at this level - why the need to rush this to a finish this weekend?
Hope it's a good game and you wouldn't begrudge Monaghan an all Ireland win if it comes to that!!