Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Unbelievable Jeff!

Long, long overdue that bit of luck.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

JoG2

GalwayBayBoy

Galway made a solid balls of that. 2nd probably the worst position to finish even ahead of 3rd given how the groups finished. Out now again next weekend with Kelly and Comer carrying knocks. Some of the frees Armagh got down the stretch were ridiculously soft. I reckon 2 of their last 3 points weren't frees at all.

tonto1888

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 18, 2023, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 18, 2023, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2023, 05:43:05 PM
But if justice there Armagh deserved that. Really enjoyable game!
Not really. The free that armagh got to go ahead was a farce. The armagh #14 ran up the field and fell over. That's the free that won it. Joe then tried to give Galway a chance by playing extra time from nowhere but they missed it

It was as much a foul as the penalty

Hmmm. Maybe not actually

Blowitupref

Serious result for Armagh, best for years? Hard luck to Westmeath so competitive in every game learnt a lot more about themselves than another year in the Tailteann Cup

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

The murnin one was absolutely a foul. Watch Conroy's legs- it was very indisciplined.

screenexile

If anyone could explain to me what McKay was trying to achieve with that tackle at the death I'd love to know. He's lucky he didn't get the line it was similar to Frank Burns' one.

Completely braindead!

Ed Ricketts

Not much contact on Murnin for that last free, and he was definitely looking it, but the hand on the back from the Galway defender was clear as day.

Soft, harsh, frustrating - call it whatever you want, but a hand on the forward's back has been a free all day long since forever.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

CK_Redhand

If tyrone held out for a 1 point win it would have been:
1. Galway
2. Tyrone
3. Armagh

With such small groups the swings can be wild. It makes the third games exciting that's for sure.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 18, 2023, 05:54:06 PM
Last Armagh one def not free.

Wasn't even close to a free. Knew he had no support up with him so just fell over. Couldn't believe his luck I'd say.

JoG2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 18, 2023, 05:55:15 PM
1. Galway
2. Tyrone
3. Armagh

With such small groups the swings can be wild. It makes the third games exciting that's for sure.

If Healin had put that free over would Tyrone have been out on head to head?

93-DY-SAM

Any truth to the rumour Armagh have requested Croke Park to be available as home venue for their quarter final?

CK_Redhand

Quote from: JoG2 on June 18, 2023, 05:56:43 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 18, 2023, 05:55:15 PM
1. Galway
2. Tyrone
3. Armagh

If Healin had put that free over would Tyrone have been out on head to head?
Yes.

"As bad a decision as you're ever going to see" - Paddy Andrews on Kilpatrick penalty call

trueblue1234

It was stone wall. No other way about it. Though few other frees were weak as well, but in the usual bias viewing of your own team. But that call was just ridiculous. You could not have got a better example of where it should be implemented. I do not understand how a ref could get it so wrong. The players were in space so viewing was easy, there was no other potential defender to muddy the water. There was no grey area. The only explanation I can think of is that the ref obviously doesn't understand the rule, which would be a bit of a concern.
On the grand scheme it doesn't matter much, but imagine if that happened in a big game.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

blasmere

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 18, 2023, 06:00:36 PM
Any truth to the rumour Armagh have requested Croke Park to be available as home venue for their quarter final?

That's a quick rumour...
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree