Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

I think Minder is correct on this one. Could explain why keepers don't get sent off when they foul the attacking player in the box and giving away a penalty.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Minder on October 25, 2009, 08:40:12 PM
I could be wrong but as far as i know the rule isnt "last man" but "goalscoring opportunity". So in essence you could be the last man but if the ball/player are heading for the corner flag you may escape a red card.

Yeah that's correct. I was just correcting gallsman's assertion that Carragher wasn't the last man. The ball was angling slightly away from the goal but had Owen not been fouled he'd still have been clean through inside the box. Think you'd have to consider it a goal scoring opportunity. Not giving the red card wasn't that crucial a decision anway given the lateness of the incident.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mountainboii

Minder's interpretation is probably correct, but there's no doubt that Owen would've got a shot away had he not been fouled. A goal scoring opportunity was denied, so it was a red card. Carragher also should've had a yellow earlier from a foul on Rooney, so either way he should've seen the line. Probably wouldn't have changed the result though as United were shit all day.

full back

Very disappointing yesterday, with the scousers fully deserving winners.

Utd havent played well all season, but at least they have been playing with a bit of passion. Yesterday they lacked aggression all over the field.

Rio & Vidic dont know what to do with the Bitch at all. Everytime she gets the ball the sh1t themselves. I have never seen them that way with any other striker in the world.

Scholes & Giggs both showed their age, unfortunately it was against the scousers who totally over-ran the Utd midfield.

Carragher probably did deserve a straight red, as did Vidic, but in the grand scheme of things it would have made no difference as Utd wouldnt have been able to cpaitalise.

If Valencia had scored it would have been a travesty of justice.

Berbatov is a f**king waste of space. When is Fergie going to swallow his pride?

Fair fcuks to the scousers, deserving victory

EC Unique

It would be interesting if Berb got a 4 or 5 week injury to Force Fergie into giving Owen a run of games. I think if he stayed injury free he would nail a starting place. Looked the most dangerous of our strikers on Sunday - did well setting up Valencia who was unlucky not to score and probably would have scored himself if not brought down by Carra.

Hound

Quote from: full back on October 26, 2009, 08:06:48 AM
Berbatov is a f**king waste of space. When is Fergie going to swallow his pride?
Did you really think Berba was bad yesterday? He was far from the worst United player.
He got zero service, but was always doing his best to get involved, albeit that meant he got the ball in deep positions. And as usual he rarely, if ever, gives possession away.

In the lead up to Mascherano's first booking, he produced a sublime piece of skill in taking down a really difficult ball over his shoulder and laying it off to Evra in all one movement. Its that type of stuff that makes him really enjoyable to watch IMO.

In fairness I do think that his partnership with Rooney doesnt really work and Owen probably deserves a bit more game-time. Owen did look very sharp on Sunday.

The Real Laoislad

Utd havent played well all season, but at least they have been playing with a bit of passion. Yesterday they lacked aggression all over the field.

Rio & Vidic dont know what to do with the Bitch at all. Everytime she gets the ball the sh1t themselves. I have never seen them that way with any other striker in the world.

Scholes & Giggs both showed their age, unfortunately it was against the scousers who totally over-ran the Utd midfield.

Carragher probably did deserve a straight red, as did Vidic, but in the grand scheme of things it would have made no difference as Utd wouldnt have been able to cpaitalise.

As always full back is the only United fan on this forum to speak with sense and in a unbiased way..
Fair play
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2009, 10:03:26 AM

As always full back is the only United fan on this forum to speak with sense and in a unbiased way..
Fair play

And you're a paragon of even handedness. ::)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 26, 2009, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2009, 10:03:26 AM

Fair play

And you're a paragon of even handedness. ::)

Thanks  :-*
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The GAA

Jesus

I thought berbatov was united's best player!

:o

maldini

whats happened Rooney this season? he's done f**k all since the spurs game

Minder

I actuall thought Berbatov was better than Rooney.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

Didnt think either of them had a good game, but Rooney's poor performances are few & far between.
Berba's good performances on the other hand are few & far between.

Would like to see Owen get an extended run as someone already said. Lets be honest, he cant do any worse than Berba

A Quinn Martin Production

Re the Carragher foul...Minder at al are right.  Being the last man has feck all to do with it no matter what Sky and 5Live would have you believe.  I think the rules say for a red card it has to be denying a "obvious" goal scoring opportunity and the player fouled must be moving toward the opponents' goal.  IMHO Owen seemed to be heading for the corner flag and it was by no means "obvious" he was going to score.  No red card.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

anportmorforjfc

Carragher should have been booked for the trip on Rooney therefore he should have got at least 2 yellows and should have walked.