Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Careful now don't feed the chimps......

At least LVG only spent £140m lol.........

stew

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 09, 2015, 01:46:57 PM
Last night was no surprise, damage was done in the games against PSV. LVG deserves to be criticised but BT were way over the top mainly that little runt Owen who is clueless, claiming we've got rid of better players. Evra & Hernandez are the only 2 players who've left the club and are playing really well, Hernandez had to go but we should have tried harder to keep Evra although his wife was the reason he wanted to move on and he made that very clear. Kagawa perhaps too but he played under 3 different managers and he was never first choice under any of them.

He got the selection wrong last night, Carrick should have started which along with Basti would have given the back 4 more protection, far too often it was too easy to get at our back 4. Varela after struggling the 1st half he had a brilliant 2nd half. Darmian has been poor at left back, making too many mistakes and should not be player there again. I've been moaning about Blind for a while, he gets drawn to the ball too easily in and around our box and chances and goals are coming off the back of it. Mata was poor given the amount of space out there, it was perfect for him and all he produced was one good ball. Fellaini is not good enough to start in that position. I don't get not starting Young at fullback either.

As usual the size of the job is under estimated, 20 players have and gone in just over 12 months and people need to be patient. The problem is he had very little to start with in terms of players in the their prime, probably only DeGea although he's turned Smalling into a brilliant defender. Fergie might have won the league but he still had Rio, Evra, Vidic, Scholes, RVP & Rooney contributing. All those players were finished or gone by the time LVG took over and think about the money that was spent on them when they were bought. Rio was 30 million over 13 years ago, its like spending £60 million on a player now. The signings he's made are not as bad as made out. I still think DI Maria was a vanity signing from Woodward and there was an element of panic about signing Rojo as we approached deadline day and he couldn't buy whom he wanted. Shaw, Herrera, Schniderlin, Depay & Martial will all turn out to be very good buys. Blind is a good utility player as will Rojo if he could stay fit.

If the Glazers had allowed Fergie to invest in the squad and buy top players from 2009 to 2012 we wouldn't be in this position, apart from RVP no top player was bought in that period.

LVG has made mistakes mainly by leaving the squad to thin but we're still in the title race and any talk of getting rid of him is ridiculous. Pressure will mount over the next few weeks if results are bad but alternatively a few wins and the pressure is off. I'd only want a change if I don't see any progress from last season.

Good enough points however I think it is tough to play Bastion S and M Carrrick together because neither have the pace required at times when they are stretched, the problem is now you have games on Thursdays in the Europa Cup and you have plenty of injuries in a squad that is carrying their Captain and one that has a 19 year old striker and Hernandez and Wilson out on loan, this makes no sense, Hernandez scores goals and takes up incredibly well timed positions in and around the box and Wilson I believe is going to be a clinker, he has bags of pace and just needs a run of games and he will be all right, come to think of it Januzai is out there to offs, ach well, at least the cubs are getting seasoning at other clubs, and Wilson can be called back any time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Insider

Agree with the poster about the BT anylsts . Pinning for all the players let go by LVG , had they been any use the majority would still be in the premiership.  The big question is what the hell does Giggs bring to the team . There doesn't seem to be any chemistry between the 2 of them.

stew

Quote from: The Insider on December 09, 2015, 07:26:56 PM
Agree with the poster about the BT anylsts . Pinning for all the players let go by LVG , had they been any use the majority would still be in the premiership.  The big question is what the hell does Giggs bring to the team . There doesn't seem to be any chemistry between the 2 of them.

Giggs is the next main man and if he is I hope they stink so badly they road the hoor.

Boycey

Quote from: stew on December 09, 2015, 07:40:14 PM

Giggs is the next main man and if he is I hope they stink so badly they road the hoor.

This place is surreal...

stew

Quote from: Boycey on December 09, 2015, 07:55:25 PM
Quote from: stew on December 09, 2015, 07:40:14 PM

This place is surreal...

Why?

Captain Obvious

Van Gaal will be gone if Manchester United finish this season outside the top four and if that happens the likely replacement could be Carlo Ancelotti.

Jeepers Creepers

Giggs either offers nothing sensible or Van Gaal doesn't listen to anything he says. I do not think Giggs has the charisma for that job. All eyes will be on Gary Neville in Spain. I think  Ferguson is secretly wetting himself at the prospect.

The Worker

Utd the only English side not to make It through the group stage, after being drawn in the easiest group (on paper).

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Worker on December 09, 2015, 09:55:15 PM
Utd the only English side not to make It through the group stage, after being drawn in the easiest group (on paper).
In fairness the Chelsea group was probably the easiest on paper however at least Manchester City,Arsenal,Chelsea will be knocked out of the champions league by better quality than PSV or Wolfsburg.

stew

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 09, 2015, 09:46:43 PM
Giggs either offers nothing sensible or Van Gaal doesn't listen to anything he says. I do not think Giggs has the charisma for that job. All eyes will be on Gary Neville in Spain. I think  Ferguson is secretly wetting himself at the prospect.

Neville will have to prove his worth in Spain or Giggs gets the job, I would say Fergie would prefer Neville but you never know.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on December 10, 2015, 12:12:22 AM

Neville will have to prove his worth in Spain or Giggs gets the job, I would say Fergie would prefer Neville but you never know.

f**k Ferguson. He left the team in shite and picked a completely incompetent replacement. He has done enough damage.

Neither Giggs nor Neville(s) are worth consideration as replacements for LVG when he leaves in 18 months time. They have achieved nothing in management.

Stew - am I right in thinking you believe Giggs would be a bad manager because of his infidelities? Surely as a Christian (I assume you are) you should be promoting forgiveness and being non-judgemental. Judgement is reserved for one entity, no?

general

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 10, 2015, 09:53:58 AM
Quote from: stew on December 10, 2015, 12:12:22 AM

f**k Ferguson. He left the team in shite and picked a completely incompetent replacement. He has done enough damage.

Neither Giggs nor Neville(s) are worth consideration as replacements for LVG when he leaves in 18 months time. They have achieved nothing in management.

Stew - am I right in thinking you believe Giggs would be a bad manager because of his infidelities? Surely as a Christian (I assume you are) you should be promoting forgiveness and being non-judgemental. Judgement is reserved for one entity, no?

Wash your mouth out, if SAF were to return it would all change. Thats just a ridiculous comment on the manager who led us to all the silverware over the last 20 years. im not calling for a return but there was a certain mentality, and beyond all a FEAR. For anyone to slate SAF for retiring is BS, he left with a title winning team!Transition could take this team 5 years. We have been lucky the quality of the league has been so poor or we would already be out of the picture.  We are 3 points from top of the league, form has been poor and quality of football also but if someone was to give you the current table after 15 games at the beginning of the season im sure any fan would have snapped their hand off. Undoubtedly, there will be a huge regret if we do not strngthen in defense & attack come January 31st

Maroon Manc

Quote from: gallsman on December 09, 2015, 05:39:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 09, 2015, 03:39:22 PM
Gallsman - not sure what your point is? I think MM's analysis is spot on so I'm going to say so. Sorry if this offends you.

Jaysus it doesn't offend me in the slightest. I rather enjoy the self congratulatory "we're the football intelligentsia" attitude actually. I do find it a bit odd that you sit around and dismiss the opinions (on a discussion board no less) of others as "histrionics" and such just because someone disagrees with them though.

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 09, 2015, 04:21:54 PM
I'm desperate for Mata to do well but he's been very disappointing the last few months. That sort of game last night was perfect for him last night and he didn't do enough against a team who haven't a hope of winning the CL. I would like to see a midfield 3 of Schneiderlin, Herrera & Mata  given a run of a few games before writing him completely off. Agreed on our German, he was poor last night and got caught out several times, the suspension will do him good.

This is part of the issue. You're benchmarking United against teams who should be winning the champions league because of their history, not because of the performance of the current squad. The fact Wolfsburg are unlikely to win the CL is irrelevant. They've hammered Bayern in the recent past. They were a significantly better outfit over the two games against United. Where does this expectation come from?! "Because we're Manchester United" isn't enough.

Wolfsburg are 15 points behind Bayern after 15 games and 10 behind Dortmund. I wouldn't say they were significantly better than, it was 4-4 over both games and we caused them a lot of problems mainly in Germany. We are out because of the PSV games, we played well over there and should have got at least a point but we had an appalling 2nd half at home to them.  I had no expectation of winning the CL, I expected us to go out as soon as we met a good side. We'll see how the draw goes but they won't get any further than than 1/4 final unless they get lucky in the draw. My gripe was that Mata should have done a lot better given how open the game was.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: stew on December 09, 2015, 06:54:01 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 09, 2015, 01:46:57 PM
Last night was no surprise, damage was done in the games against PSV. LVG deserves to be criticised but BT were way over the top mainly that little runt Owen who is clueless, claiming we've got rid of better players. Evra & Hernandez are the only 2 players who've left the club and are playing really well, Hernandez had to go but we should have tried harder to keep Evra although his wife was the reason he wanted to move on and he made that very clear. Kagawa perhaps too but he played under 3 different managers and he was never first choice under any of them.

He got the selection wrong last night, Carrick should have started which along with Basti would have given the back 4 more protection, far too often it was too easy to get at our back 4. Varela after struggling the 1st half he had a brilliant 2nd half. Darmian has been poor at left back, making too many mistakes and should not be player there again. I've been moaning about Blind for a while, he gets drawn to the ball too easily in and around our box and chances and goals are coming off the back of it. Mata was poor given the amount of space out there, it was perfect for him and all he produced was one good ball. Fellaini is not good enough to start in that position. I don't get not starting Young at fullback either.

As usual the size of the job is under estimated, 20 players have and gone in just over 12 months and people need to be patient. The problem is he had very little to start with in terms of players in the their prime, probably only DeGea although he's turned Smalling into a brilliant defender. Fergie might have won the league but he still had Rio, Evra, Vidic, Scholes, RVP & Rooney contributing. All those players were finished or gone by the time LVG took over and think about the money that was spent on them when they were bought. Rio was 30 million over 13 years ago, its like spending £60 million on a player now. The signings he's made are not as bad as made out. I still think DI Maria was a vanity signing from Woodward and there was an element of panic about signing Rojo as we approached deadline day and he couldn't buy whom he wanted. Shaw, Herrera, Schniderlin, Depay & Martial will all turn out to be very good buys. Blind is a good utility player as will Rojo if he could stay fit.

If the Glazers had allowed Fergie to invest in the squad and buy top players from 2009 to 2012 we wouldn't be in this position, apart from RVP no top player was bought in that period.

LVG has made mistakes mainly by leaving the squad to thin but we're still in the title race and any talk of getting rid of him is ridiculous. Pressure will mount over the next few weeks if results are bad but alternatively a few wins and the pressure is off. I'd only want a change if I don't see any progress from last season.

Good enough points however I think it is tough to play Bastion S and M Carrrick together because neither have the pace required at times when they are stretched, the problem is now you have games on Thursdays in the Europa Cup and you have plenty of injuries in a squad that is carrying their Captain and one that has a 19 year old striker and Hernandez and Wilson out on loan, this makes no sense, Hernandez scores goals and takes up incredibly well timed positions in and around the box and Wilson I believe is going to be a clinker, he has bags of pace and just needs a run of games and he will be all right, come to think of it Januzai is out there to offs, ach well, at least the cubs are getting seasoning at other clubs, and Wilson can be called back any time.

If LVG had played someone with pace in there I would agree with you but he played Fellaini who's neither quick or quick up top.
Hernandez wouldn't score goals the way we play and I'd had enough of his limited play outside the area. I agree on Wilson, he'll score a lot of goals for Brighton. He's one of the top 3 youngsters to come through the academy since the class of 92 in terms of ability.

Januzaj should be called back, he'd get more minutes playing for us.