Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: GJL on December 01, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
Quote from: maldini on December 01, 2015, 10:53:08 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 30, 2015, 05:13:05 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 30, 2015, 03:16:11 PM
Quote from: maldini on November 30, 2015, 03:09:28 PM
Since Van Gaal has come into United he has spent more than Pellegrini has at City in the same period of time

But Pellegrini has spent that on simply trying to improve an already strong squad, not completely rebuild it.

No point trying to reason with the abu's, only looking to get a rise out of us.

Van Gaal and Pellegrini both took over squads that had won the title 14 months previous, and have both spent hundreds of millions
Pellegrini has won trophies whereas Van Gaal hasn't.
It was hardly that bad a squad that Van Gaal had inerited, they had ran away with the title 14 months earlier

Do you think the current Utd squad would be top of the league under different management?

But its HIS squad! One he has put together after spending 100s of millions!
The big criticism of Van Gaal is that the key players (IMO) that United have lost since that title winning season are Rio,Vidic & RVP.
Despite all the money he has spent, he hasn't really found proper replacements for any of them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

LVG has done a great job of changing the squad for just over £140m, his bosses will be delighted with the job he's done so far considering he's done it on the cheap in todays market.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 01, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
LVG has done a great job of changing the squad for just over £140m, his bosses will be delighted with the job he's done so far considering he's done it on the cheap in todays market.

Shaw
Herrera
Di Maria
Blind
Rojo
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Darmain
Romero
Martial

All for £140m?

Amazing!

His bosses will be delighted but maybe a little worried with the maths concerned........

Milltown Row2

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on December 01, 2015, 03:51:44 PM

Shaw
Herrera
Di Maria
Blind
Rojo
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Darmain
Romero
Martial

All for £140m?

Amazing!

His bosses will be delighted but maybe a little worried with the maths concerned........

I'd imagine he sold players??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 01, 2015, 07:06:27 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on December 01, 2015, 03:51:44 PM

Shaw
Herrera
Di Maria
Blind
Rojo
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Darmain
Romero
Martial

All for £140m?

Amazing!

I'd imagine he sold players??

Yes - amazing how many people struggle with basic maths. It's no wonder politicians can con people with voodoo economics when the basics escape most.

stew

He paid 60 million for Di Maria alone, or 59 plus

Over $200 million spent I would say.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

StGallsGAA

£140m is a lot but take Di Maria's sell on fee out of that and it's well under £100m. United's main rivals on the world stage of Barca, Real and Bayern would spend that amount most seasons just refreshing the squads.  The oil rich wannabes of City, Chelsea and PSG would spend triple that every transfer window if they were allowed to.   

Since old man Glazer has died his sons seem intent on investing a decent share of the revenue which can only be good in the long run. Unfortunately it means United are quoted double the price fot every player enquiry from the outset. If they end up paying well over the players value well then that's Ed Woodward's fault. 

Minder

The fact he didn't want to leave Madrid probably didn't help
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

For whatever reason, after a really promising first few months DiMaria ending up running around the pitch scared of his own shadow. I've seen it countless times myself - you know when a guy has lost his bottle and DiMaria just did not want to know. A pity because he could have been awesome in the Premier League if he had the mental toughness of for example Tevez.

AZOffaly

I know this is only ball hopping at this stage, re net spend, but humour me. Below is Brendan Rodgers' summary of his transfer dealings at Liverpool. He ended up with a Net Spend of 91m. Should he be excused, should he still be liverpool manager, did he do a good job, if his net spend is less than 100m?

During his three year period as manager of Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers oversaw the signings of thirty three players and the departure of another thirty eight. Those incoming transfers cost approximately £291,550,000 at an average of over £8,800,000 per player, and the departures have brought in approximately £200,250,000 in transfer fees. Rodgers therefore oversaw a net spend of approximately £91,300,000 on transfer fees during his time in charge of the team.

Obviously I understand the difference between total spend and net spend, but I look at value for money on the 291m he did spend. Perhaps a lot of that spend wouldn't have happened if Suarez and Sterling had stayed, but did the players he bought justify the money he spent on them. Did he get the best out of what he had? That's the measure of a manager, not his net spend.

brokencrossbar1

Net spend is for accountants.  The quality of what is brought in is all that counts.  If LVG brought in a team to win the league and it cost £500m no one on here would give a f**k.

AZOffaly

Net spend can give an indication of the type of players that left. Like a lot of the reason Rodgers net spend is relatively low is because LFC had two huge transfers in Suarez and Sterling. So net spend can be used as a mitigant for overall team performance perhaps.

However, when evaluating a manager, it comes down to have you got the best out of the talent you have, and he had bought nearly 300m quid of talent.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 02, 2015, 10:11:19 AM
Net spend can give an indication of the type of players that left. Like a lot of the reason Rodgers net spend is relatively low is because LFC had two huge transfers in Suarez and Sterling. So net spend can be used as a mitigant for overall team performance perhaps.

However, when evaluating a manager, it comes down to have you got the best out of the talent you have, and he had bought nearly 300m quid of talent.

That's true,  but at the back of it all the talent has to work within a system.  Klopp has the same talent as BR but they are a different side. I reckon if Pep or the likes had the United players they would be completely different.   

GJL

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 10:08:30 AM
Net spend is for accountants.  The quality of what is brought in is all that counts.  If LVG brought in a team to win the league and it cost £500m no one on here would give a f**k.

If he brings in one or two players that can find the net at Christmas Utd could push on and win the league. Not many fcuks will be given then about net spend etc.

FermGael

Gary Neville new Valencia head coach.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered