Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 31, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
But can you be racist in relation to someone of your own race?

I suppose that depends on your definition of "race".  Say an Indian and a Pakistani have a disagreement outside a pub.  The Indian calls the Pakistani a "Paki".  If this is reported to the police, the fact that they are both "Asian" won't come into the matter, it will be classed as a racist incident.  Similarly if I refer to a Traveller parent at my daughter's school as a "Gyppo", I'd probably be guilty of using racist language even though we're both Irish?  In the choc-ice case there definitely is at least an allusion to Cole's "race" or else he wouldn't be a choc-ice?

Bingo

Quote from: AQMP on October 31, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 31, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
But can you be racist in relation to someone of your own race?

I suppose that depends on your definition of "race".  Say an Indian and a Pakistani have a disagreement outside a pub.  The Indian calls the Pakistani a "Paki".  If this is reported to the police, the fact that they are both "Asian" won't come into the matter, it will be classed as a racist incident.  Similarly if I refer to a Traveller parent at my daughter's school as a "Gyppo", I'd probably be guilty of using racist language even though we're both Irish?  In the choc-ice case there definitely is at least an allusion to Cole's "race" or else he wouldn't be a choc-ice?

Reminds me of a story the missus was telling me the other day about a Nigerian patient in the hospital who was verbally abusing a nurse and was calling her a "white dog" but when the security and other staff pulled her for been racist, she went mental and said she can't be racist cause she is black and then accused them of been racist against her for accusing her of racism  :o

AZOffaly

That's just stupidity. At least that colour blind. It afflicts people of all races and creeds.

Norf Tyrone

Yes you can

There was a case in England last year where a black English lady was convicted of calling another Asian lady a 'coconut'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12685953

If someone had of tweeted that Anton was a Black c**t, and JT had retweeted it adding 'black c**t. Good one' or whatever the phrase Rio used. Would people have settled for a paltry fine? Seriously?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

North Longford

Was at an U10 soccer match couple of weeks ago when a young black player spent about 2 minutes shouting at a very irish looking red haired child who was changing his jersey."come on ginger will you hurry up"..."ah ginger what's taking you so long" etc etc.........apparently most attendees irrespective of their colour found it horrid funny. A few did wonder what the reaction would be if the roles were reversed?

AZOffaly

Quote from: North Longford on October 31, 2012, 03:25:28 PM
Was at an U10 soccer match couple of weeks ago when a young black player spent about 2 minutes shouting at a very irish looking red haired child who was changing his jersey."come on ginger will you hurry up"..."ah ginger what's taking you so long" etc etc.........apparently most attendees irrespective of their colour found it horrid funny. A few did wonder what the reaction would be if the roles were reversed?

Why, did the black lad have red hair?

magpie seanie

How anyone could think the "choc ice" comment was racist defies belief. Is calling someone a drunk racist, that's about the level we're at here with the reaching. And it must be remembered by the John Terry lovers that he got to go the the Euro's while Ferdinand was banished unjustly from the squad for being the brother of a guy who the captain used racist language towards. Ferdinand will most likely never play for his country and certainly not at a major tournament ever again so stick that with yer choc ices if you think he wasn't punished enough.

AQMP

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 31, 2012, 03:51:43 PM
How anyone could think the "choc ice" comment was racist defies belief. Is calling someone a drunk racist, that's about the level we're at here with the reaching. And it must be remembered by the John Terry lovers that he got to go the the Euro's while Ferdinand was banished unjustly from the squad for being the brother of a guy who the captain used racist language towards. Ferdinand will most likely never play for his country and certainly not at a major tournament ever again so stick that with yer choc ices if you think he wasn't punished enough.

seanie, what do you understand the term "choc ice" to mean when used to describe a black or mixed race person?

North Longford

AZ how can you be so flippant about something as serious as the plight our ginger brethren face.....I thought the difficulties poor Catherine Tate regularly alluded to would be enough to convince the world that these are the people that need our help most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682VGqT_DJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLUyouE48Q&feature=related

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 31, 2012, 03:51:43 PM

Well the courts think terms like choc ice, and coconut are racist.

To be fair I've no idea what your arguement about the drunk racist means.

And it's not that I love John Terry that I make my points. I do so seeking equality of punishment in this world where that's all that people crave.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ross4life

Good game eventhough the defending by both sides was atrocious.Best team on the night through to the next round but they needed a penalty with the last kick of normal time to do it. Wootton had nightmare game gave away penalty,goal and should have been sent off. Was more impressed with Michael Keane though he was lucky to avoid red. United's first defeat to Chelsea in 7 games & it's better for the CL winners to knock you out in ET than Crystal Palace.

11 changes expected for the Arsenal game.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

Disappointing in the end. Played some good stuff but I suppose in the end a bit of inexperience with the younger lads cost United. They'll learn from it. When you see Anderson the way he played tonight it just makes you wonder. Nani, goal apart, looks like a guy who is happily heading towards the exit door. Thought Rafael was very good, he is kicking on to a level he needs to get to. Powell looks to have good potential, loved seeing him tangling with Ramires and coming out the better more often than not.

Enjoyable game for the neutral I'd say. Looked like either side could score with each attack.

Missed a good bit of the first half - did Sky show many of the United fans banners? Heard about a beaut that was prepared for tonight.

rodney trotter

It was a good display from a second string side.. 10 changes from the game Sunday. Chelsea had a stronger side out than Utd

Would have been sweet to have beaten them twice inside 4 days, but the more important win was in the league last Sunday.

Minder

Nani heading for the exit, looking £130k a week apparently and refused to apologise after his dust up with the young Utd player, whose name escapes me. Tunnicliffe?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rodney trotter

Some Russian Club would give him that type of figure, Eto'o is on 330k at Anzhi - peanuts compared to what Nani is looking for :P