Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghdavoyle

vds made the 2 howlers did he not?

Hound

Read a report on RTE saying it was two goalkeeping errors. But the first one was just a great goal in my opinion. VDS was off his line alright, but would be very harsh to blame him (though I only saw it once).

Foster was in goal for the second half and made a very big blunder. A fresh air from a backpass left a lad with an empty net to knock the ball into.

EC Unique

Goats Do Shave

United's starting line-up: Foster; Neville, Brown, Evans, Fabio; Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Tosic; Owen, Macheda.

Goats Do Shave

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Goats Do Shave

EC Unique

Do you think we are going to play a 4-4-2 this year?

full back

Quote from: EC Unique on July 20, 2009, 02:35:35 PM

I would say so
If Owen keeps scoring he should start up front with Rooney (although it didnt work for Engerland)

EC Unique

Great to see him on the score sheet 2 matches in a row. His first few premiership games against decent opposition will be very interesting. I am starting to gain optimism that he will click. He is now in a very different position than he has been in a long while where he will be playing with alot of quality on the same side as him providing him with much better supply than he has been used to. He also will not have the added pressure of being the main goal scoring hope..

David McKeown

Quote from: full back on July 20, 2009, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 20, 2009, 02:35:35 PM

I would say so
If Owen keeps scoring he should start up front with Rooney (although it didnt work for Engerland)

I thought it did work when the two of them played conventionally the prime example being in Euro 2004 before Rooney broke his foot.  It only seemed to fail when Rooney went wide left and Owen became isolated I felt
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

slievegullion

Quote from: EC Unique on July 20, 2009, 04:55:22 PM
Great to see him on the score sheet 2 matches in a row. His first few premiership games against decent opposition will be very interesting. I am starting to gain optimism that he will click. He is now in a very different position than he has been in a long while where he will be playing with alot of quality on the same side as him providing him with much better supply than he has been used to. He also will not have the added pressure of being the main goal scoring hope..

But is the quality really there?

I mean, I look at the United team now without Ronaldo and there is a huge gaping hole with regards class. It looks decidedly mediocre.

What would be your starting 11 right now?

In defence Ferdinand and Vidic are still top-class. Brown is very inconsistent and O'Shea is off the back of his best season ever and won't repeat that. The twins are still raw and have a long way to go. Evra is solid.

In midfield Scholes is done, Giggs is nearly done, Fletcher is a great addition to any team but lacks real top quality. I never rated Carrick as a top-class player but admit he had some important performances last year but I think, like the whole team, he will suffer from losing Ronaldo as Ronaldo's general attacking threat and pace relieved a lot of pressure on the whole team. Valencia is unproven, Park is a poor man's Dirk Kuyt and Nani, well he's Nani.

Up front Rooney is top-class but will need support in the goals department. Berbatov is on a fasttrack to joining Shevshenko in the huge waste of money club. I think Macheda should have hung-up the boots at the end of last season, his best days are clearly behind him. So where does this leave the injury-prone Owen? 5 games without a goal before the pressure starts mounting, or will he even make 5 games before another prolonged stint with the physio?

Edit: Forgot about Van Der Sar, certainly pushing on a bit. I realise also my list of players isn't exhaustive, feel free to correct me on who I've missed.

magpie seanie

Slievegullion - think you are being a bit ott there but the point is moot anyway as the comparison was with what he was playing with last season. I saw Tosic crossing a few balls on SSN day and even he looks way ahead of anythnig he played with last year. Bad and all as United might look to you I'm sure you'll agree they'll still finish in the top 4. Giggs and Scholes are only "done" at the very highest level. Against most teams in that league they are still quality. United don't look to me like a squad that will win the league but to suggest they have not quality is rubbish.

One interesting point for United supporters is that United made a habit of missing shed loads of chances last season. A fit Owen doesn't do that. Whether the same number of chances are created is a good qestion but maybe they won't need to create as much if the conversion rate is more clinical.

full back

Correct Seanie about Owen
One thing about him is he will put them away
He has scored 2 goals more than the scousers so far ;)

If anyone has any season tickets or can get their hands on tickets, could you drop me a PM
Cheers

slievegullion

Quote from: full back on July 21, 2009, 08:21:16 AM
Correct Seanie about Owen
One thing about him is he will put them away
He has scored 2 goals more than the scousers so far ;)

If anyone has any season tickets or can get their hands on tickets, could you drop me a PM
Cheers

I'm sure you would be the first to admit that those two goals mean absolutely f**k all.