Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Nanderson on September 27, 2023, 01:21:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2023, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 27, 2023, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 27, 2023, 11:50:50 AMEncouraging signs last night, even if it was against a very weak opposition.

Casemiro looked back to something close to his form of last season, lots of energy and enthusiasm up the pitch and Amrabat looks like he is definitely going to bring something to the team.

It must  have been weak , if Martial scored

Reminder... Martial has a Ballon d'or clause in his contract.
HAD a clause in his contract

Dunno if that makes it any better.

Gallybander

Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2023, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on September 27, 2023, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 27, 2023, 11:50:50 AMEncouraging signs last night, even if it was against a very weak opposition.

Casemiro looked back to something close to his form of last season, lots of energy and enthusiasm up the pitch and Amrabat looks like he is definitely going to bring something to the team.

It must  have been weak , if Martial scored

Reminder... Martial has a Ballon d'or clause in his contract.
The club is laughing so. They'll never have to make a bonus payment.

statto

Quote from: mouview on September 27, 2023, 02:21:14 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 26, 2023, 02:49:21 PMI suspect that back in Ferguson's day he would have sniffed out and swerved past players who had talent but didn't have the required dedication.

Pogba, Martial, Sancho are soccer's version of the GAA townie in white boots.
Look flash in the good times, but don't roll up their sleeves for any dirty work.

Scouting units can collect a million stats on passes completed, assists, sprints, XGs and all that. It's the other intangibles that can dictate how much a player can achieve.
Certain players kick back and relax once they've gotten the cars and the super models.

Ferguson once said that when Utd were pursuing Stan Collymore, his tendency to be a lad off the pitch put him off.
Collymore ended up at Liverpool where it was white booted, (or white suited) townie central, Redknapp, McManaman, Fowler etc.
All guys who had ability but not the mentality.
Utd are now the ones with the spice boy problem.

Ferguson signed a few duds in his time too. No manager can get it right everytime.
But he also got alot right and knew when to move players on t the right time.  The recruitment post Ferguson has been absolutely horrific and only the mess at Chelsea in the Boehly era comes anywhere close to how bad the recruitment at united has been since Fergie left. 

imtommygunn

Everton's must be up there too. In the relegation fight every year and probably in breach of the FFP rules with all the wages and signings.

AustinPowers

Quote from: statto on September 27, 2023, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 27, 2023, 02:21:14 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 26, 2023, 02:49:21 PMI suspect that back in Ferguson's day he would have sniffed out and swerved past players who had talent but didn't have the required dedication.

Pogba, Martial, Sancho are soccer's version of the GAA townie in white boots.
Look flash in the good times, but don't roll up their sleeves for any dirty work.

Scouting units can collect a million stats on passes completed, assists, sprints, XGs and all that. It's the other intangibles that can dictate how much a player can achieve.
Certain players kick back and relax once they've gotten the cars and the super models.

Ferguson once said that when Utd were pursuing Stan Collymore, his tendency to be a lad off the pitch put him off.
Collymore ended up at Liverpool where it was white booted, (or white suited) townie central, Redknapp, McManaman, Fowler etc.
All guys who had ability but not the mentality.
Utd are now the ones with the spice boy problem.

Ferguson signed a few duds in his time too. No manager can get it right everytime.
But he also got alot right and knew when to move players on t the right time.  The recruitment post Ferguson has been absolutely horrific and only the mess at Chelsea in the Boehly era comes anywhere close to how bad the recruitment at united has been since Fergie left. 

Fergie played a part in the  shitshow that  followed his retirement.

He squeezed every drop  he could out of that  aging squad , knowing he wouldn't be  around to build another.

Not that that excuses  the 11 years of mediocrity.  But when managers came in ,  a big job was on the cards , and with the pressure to succeed ,   they splashed out on vanity purchases hoping that everything  would  just slot into place with one big signing

A bit like Micko with Kerry. Most of that team  were 30+ and Kerry  were abysmal for a decade after 86

jcpen

At least they beat them in the Carabao Cup I suppose..
NEUTRAL

Cunny Funt

Zero positives to draw from that latest defeat, when a Palace side who struggled all afternoon to string three consecutive passes together was able to win and keep a clean sheet you have to wonder how damaging the defeats will be for this United team once they play the better teams.

Old Trafford at the end of his career has become a happy hunting in the Premier league for Roy Hodgson five consecutive league games without losing any of them (two draws and three wins)

trailer

Going nowhere. If this continues I'd be worried for EtH.

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on September 30, 2023, 07:00:36 PMGoing nowhere. If this continues I'd be worried for EtH.

He's on borrowed time . The sh1tshow continues

Maroon Manc

ETH is not on borrowed time at. I'll first to admit I'd have got rid of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole a lot earlier but its different this time. We've got a manager in his prime with a great recent track record who's still dealing with the nonsense of the Glazer ownership, the balls up with Martinez's injury is another to add to the long list of c**k ups. The issues surrounding the club doctor was farcical and obviously player a huge part in this.

Results and performances need to improve but the time to judge him is at the end of the season not a month in when he's had to deal with a huge injury crisis, about as bad as I've ever seen.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 02, 2023, 11:01:44 AMETH is not on borrowed time at. I'll first to admit I'd have got rid of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole a lot earlier but its different this time. We've got a manager in his prime with a great recent track record who's still dealing with the nonsense of the Glazer ownership, the balls up with Martinez's injury is another to add to the long list of c**k ups. The issues surrounding the club doctor was farcical and obviously player a huge part in this.

Results and performances need to improve but the time to judge him is at the end of the season not a month in when he's had to deal with a huge injury crisis, about as bad as I've ever seen.

I'd be sticking with him no matter how bad the results get. Attitude of a lot of the players is get a big contract then put the feet up. He's on the right track but a long way to go

clonian

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 02, 2023, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 02, 2023, 11:01:44 AMETH is not on borrowed time at. I'll first to admit I'd have got rid of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole a lot earlier but its different this time. We've got a manager in his prime with a great recent track record who's still dealing with the nonsense of the Glazer ownership, the balls up with Martinez's injury is another to add to the long list of c**k ups. The issues surrounding the club doctor was farcical and obviously player a huge part in this.

I'd be sticking with him no matter how bad the results get. Attitude of a lot of the players is get a big contract then put the feet up. He's on the right track but a long way to go

Agree 100%. I'm still concerned the glazers make the easy choice and push him out.

gallsman

What do United fans believe the Glazers' ownership excuses in relation to ETH's management of the team?

They have consistently splashed the cash over and over again.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on October 02, 2023, 01:22:13 PMWhat do United fans believe the Glazers' ownership excuses in relation to ETH's management of the team?

They have consistently splashed the cash over and over again.

Not sure it is specifically in relation to ETH the issues with the Glazers.

Basically they have over seen a steady decline in the quality of people running the football side of the club, they have taken every decision based on how much money they can squeeze out of the club. Continually put business people in positions to make footballing decisions.
Have allowed the ground and the training ground to get run down and not upgraded to that of a top level club.

Basically allowed a malaise to surround the club because they are still draining the club for their financial gain.

The glazer's have not, never have and never will 'splash the cash' they didnt buy the club with their own money and they dont invest their own money in anyway into the club. The bare minimum to keep the club ticking over.

Look at the previous managers and their transfer target lists, not one of them got their first choice in any of the positions they were looking for.

So while the 'club' have spent money, if the culture is that rotten from the top down it is never going to work. At least ETH has identified the rotten culture of the playing squad and is doing something about it.

gallsman

It was suggested that ETH has been "dealing with the nonsense of the Glazers' ownership". I'm curious to know what United fans think exactly he's been dealing with. He's been given a fortune to spend. Joel Glazer isn't overseeing training and team selection.

Strictly on the management side of the club, putting "business people in place to make football decisions" is the biggest load of w**k. Who should be in charge? Giggs? Brucey? It's not about having "football people" in place. It's about having the right people in place, regardless of their background.