Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: annapr on February 02, 2016, 01:09:32 PM
So United fans don't rate Pep now...  ;D
Sounds like a case of the green eyed monster to me.
City are now the number 1 team in Manchester and will be for a long time to come. The days of United fans hanging  banners with the amount of years since City last won a trophy are well gone....

City have done little to suggest that they are the number 1 team in Manchester and as for the future, unless you have a crystal ball you are merely hoping for City to be dominant.  United are one good managerial appointment away from being top dogs again.  There is no real dominant team in England at the minute.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on February 02, 2016, 12:49:57 PM
Evra was one of the best left backs in the world last year at Juve. Vidic was 32, Rooney what, 28? Nobody was telling back then about the two of them being on downward curves (although Rooney's entire career could be a sin wave). Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. Ferdinand probably a bit old and already considerably on the wane I guess. I think that's still a pretty solid base. The problems really began once Moyes started spending money.

Quote from: gallsman on September 03, 2013, 02:49:05 PM
Quote from: mb80b60 on September 03, 2013, 12:26:52 PM
So what if Vidic/RVP/Evra/Carrick are around 30?  They're showing no signs of slowing down.  They all have a few good years left yet.

Two of the four you've mentioned are clearly showing signs of slowing down. Vidic is constantly injured ffs, as is Rio. Whatever way anyone tries to cover it up, all of United's competitors have vastly improved their squads relative to United's this summer.

As it's United and so many players are used to winning, United should secure CL qualification with ease, but they're not clear cut front runners for the title like a team of their stature tends to be. It's also no inconceivable that both Spurs and Arsenal could finish higher than them.

Two and a half years ago you thought Evra, Vidic and Rio were slowing down yourself.. Evra was a smashing wee player and could be doing a job yet at United but world class/ best left back in the world last year, not a chance. Rooney had been 12 years a Premier League player by then and was old if not in years but definitely from miles on the clock... A solid base not really...

Jaysus Uniteds troubles began way before Moyes started spending, he only bought a couple of big buys in Felleini and Mata plus a small fee for Varela. The 2 big signings haven't pulled up many daisys but they hardly the root of the problem either..

I saw on a United forum a quote from someone saying that Man Utd died in 2005 but the corpse is only starting to smell now. Rings true to me :-)

AZOffaly

Lads, what is 'World Class'? I hear this bandied about all the time, but everytime I hear it it seems to mean something different. For example, when Luis Suarez was at Liverpool he wasn't 'World Class', then he was, and now he definitely is, apparently.

Is it like, if you are picking a world cup squad of 23 players say, with 2 goalies, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 strikers or something? You pick a 'World Class' squad in that format, and only those who make it by consensus are 'World Class'?

I'm wondering what it is, and could we pick a 'World Class' squad right now.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2016, 01:47:06 PM
Lads, what is 'World Class'? I hear this bandied about all the time, but everytime I hear it it seems to mean something different. For example, when Luis Suarez was at Liverpool he wasn't 'World Class', then he was, and now he definitely is, apparently.

Is it like, if you are picking a world cup squad of 23 players say, with 2 goalies, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 strikers or something? You pick a 'World Class' squad in that format, and only those who make it by consensus are 'World Class'?

I'm wondering what it is, and could we pick a 'World Class' squad right now.

In the context of what I'm talking about world class is maybe the wrong choice of phrase. In days gone by any all of the players we were talking about would have fitted comfortably into any of the top teams in Europe but by the end of Fergies era I still stick with my view that De Gea was the only one fitting in that category.

gallsman

I'll happily admit to being wrong about Evra - I don't think anyone envisaged him leaving United and heading to Italy would have led to an upturn in form.

Milltown Row2

City are now the number 1 team in Manchester and will be for a long time to come. The days of United fans hanging  banners with the amount of years since City last won a trophy are well gone....

Obsessing again  :P

While tradition doesn't mean squat nowadays and its about having a minted investor I still believe City and the likes of Chelsea's millions will eventually go..... What profit do these owners make?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2016, 05:49:11 PM

Obsessing again  :P

While tradition doesn't mean squat nowadays and its about having a minted investor I still believe City and the likes of Chelsea's millions will eventually go..... What profit do these owners make?
Utd are the second team now. unless bolton are..
City will win the CL before the theatre of dreams sees it

GJL

2 goals in the first half! WTF?

magpie seanie

Over the Bar

Utd are the second team now. unless bolton are..

City will win the CL before the theatre of dreams sees it  

You may be wrong there.  TOD saw it in 1999 and 2008.

Boycey

I noticed earlier Giggs wasn't there 'insert sister in law joke here'

Twitter is now awash with Giggs to Celtic stories???

Edit - I presume it's to manage them not to play in midfield  ;)

gallsman

Haven't seen any of game but that's a bloody good result. Stoke have been excellent recently under Hughes.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Boycey on February 02, 2016, 09:32:19 PM
I noticed earlier Giggs wasn't there 'insert sister in law joke here'

Twitter is now awash with Giggs to Celtic stories???

Edit - I presume it's to manage them not to play in midfield  ;)

Maybe United need to get rid of him if they're playing exciting football without him.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GJL

Nice result.  8).  Martial is hitting form.

annapr

Quote from: GJL on February 02, 2016, 09:53:27 PM
Nice result.  8).  Martial is hitting form.
Title favourites now I'd say.