Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 23, 2014, 02:01:26 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 23, 2014, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 11:21:56 AM
The hysteria needs to die down. LVG will get this right but there will be plenty of nasty shocks along the way, like last Sunday. It will take time and his track record shows this. I take comfort from the fact that most of United's competitors for top 4 places are dropping points too so that hopefully when things are settled and bedded in (and the defensive injuries mean it's not Evans and Blackett as CB's  ::) ) there won't be too much of a deficit to claw back. Chelsea look a cut above everyone though I did laugh at Lampard getting the equaliser.

Anyone defending Moyes is either having a laugh or a complete idiot. Players didn't come to United because of him. It's different with LVG of course.

so who will it be?

Go on. I'm sure you can work it out yourself.
no, i cant. please tell me?
Unless united are hiding 2 top class centre halves somewhere that i dont know about, Jones & smalling certainly arent a huge step up from evans & blackett.

Well done, you worked it out! And you even proved me right as you accept Jones and Smalling are better than Evans and Blackett. I also believe Rojo could do well at centre back (better than Blackett or Evans) with Shaw at LB.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 03:04:16 PM
The hysteria needs to die down. LVG will get this right but there will be plenty of nasty shocks along the way, like last Sunday. It will take time and his track record shows this. I take comfort from the fact that most of United's competitors for top 4 places are dropping points too so that hopefully when things are settled and bedded in (and the defensive injuries mean it's not Evans and Blackett as CB's  ::) ) there won't be too much of a deficit to claw back. Chelsea look a cut above everyone though I did laugh at Lampard getting the equaliser.

Anyone defending Moyes is either having a laugh or a complete idiot. Players didn't come to United because of him. It's different with LVG of course.

so who will it be?

Unless united are hiding 2 top class centre halves somewhere that i dont know about, Jones & smalling certainly arent a huge step up from evans & blackett.

Well done, you worked it out! And you even proved me right as you accept Jones and Smalling are better than Evans and Blackett. I also believe Rojo could do well at centre back (better than Blackett or Evans) with Shaw at LB.
So you think Jones & smalling will be the answer to united defensive problems??
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 23, 2014, 02:33:29 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 01:46:29 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 23, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
Why did Falcao join Monaco last year Magpie Seanie?, They weren't in the CL at the time so it was obviously for financial reasons. They were only promoted that season after a few seasons in the French first Division.  You should wise up yourself

Do you honestly believe Falcao, Di Maria, Blind and Rojo would be at United now if Moyes was still in charge? Cop on ta fcuk.

you didn't answer the question,  ? And yes I do believe 3 of those players would have joined United. Di Maria who knows.  Falcao could have joined Chelsea last year but joined Monaco for the £ so why wouldn't he have joined under Moyes. The Shaw deal was well advanced before Van Gaal took over,  that was with talka with Moyes,

Southampton were competing with United for Rojo ffs.

I didn't say anything about Shaw or Herrera did I?

If you seriously think Blind would have come to a Moyes managed United then I'd have to say you need to think again. Falcao may be money driven but there's no way he would be at United if Moyes was still there.

I didn't see the point in answering your question (and still don't) so I didn't. As you insist on the little information I'd have I would say money was he main reason. However, there is a world of difference in playing for Rainieri and David feckin Moyes.

magpie seanie

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 23, 2014, 03:06:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 03:04:16 PM

so who will it be?

So you think Jones & smalling will be the answer to united defensive problems??

I didn't say that. Read what I said again. They'll be better than what we saw last Sunday and in Evans' case, the League Cup.

rodney trotter

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 03:17:01 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 23, 2014, 02:33:29 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 23, 2014, 01:46:29 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 23, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
Why did Falcao join Monaco last year Magpie Seanie?, They weren't in the CL at the time so it was obviously for financial reasons. They were only promoted that season after a few seasons in the French first Division.  You should wise up yourself

Do you honestly believe Falcao, Di Maria, Blind and Rojo would be at United now if Moyes was still in charge? Cop on ta fcuk.

you didn't answer the question,  ? And yes I do believe 3 of those players would have joined United. Di Maria who knows.  Falcao could have joined Chelsea last year but joined Monaco for the £ so why wouldn't he have joined under Moyes. The Shaw deal was well advanced before Van Gaal took over,  that was with talka with Moyes,

Southampton were competing with United for Rojo ffs.

I didn't say anything about Shaw or Herrera did I?

If you seriously think Blind would have come to a Moyes managed United then I'd have to say you need to think again. Falcao may be money driven but there's no way he would be at United if Moyes was still there.

I didn't see the point in answering your question (and still don't) so I didn't. As you insist on the little information I'd have I would say money was he main reason. However, there is a world of difference in playing for Rainieri and David feckin Moyes.

And i never mentioned Herrera did I? But now you mention thats 2 promising players that would have played under Moyes.

And why if Shaw and Herrera 2 excellent young prospets would be preperaed to play for Moyes, that Blind the same age as Herrera wouldn't? You probaly never heard of Blind before the WC but a few solid performances there and he would never play under Moyes at United?

The point of the question was if the right money if offered the players will come I wasn't saying Moyes was a world class manager, Shaw was offered a lot more then what Chelsea were prepared to pay

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

I am just going to add that Rojo looks like a butch lesbian, I will not comment on his talent yet

Kidder81

Ah come on fellas, any of you think players are coming because of a manager are very naive. Have any of these players, Di Maria/ Falcao etc taken a pay cut to join United ? There's your answer. Falcao was basically pimping himself to Madrid in the weeks before joining United. It's all about the money.

NAG1

End of the day United have no Champions League football to offer so they had to first of all get a manager in who is high profile and could attract the top level players, secondly they needed to offer these players attractive packages to convince them it would be worth the year (hopefully) away from European football.

Moyes was not going to be that type of manager so the board obviously took a business decision.

As a fan I dont care that they are throwing money at the situation, am I a little disappointed that Wellbeck had to go yes, but truth is LVG knows he needs defenders of a better standard so what do you expect him to do in the next couple of transfer windows, answers on a postcard.

deiseach

As the joke went at the time that Juninho joined Middlesbrough the first time round, he said "it makes me so proud to wear the famous red jersey and meet Mr Robson, but when do I get to meet the manager Mr Ferguson?"

They'll be putting that on the Boro dressing room wall tonight.

yellowcard

The size of the pay packet and the clubs stature are bigger selling points in attracting players rather than basing it on who is the manager. I'm fairly sure that if Moyes had been given a second season that he would have bought just as many players as Van Gaal did. I'm not even sure that Van Gaal had much of a say in most of the summer signings. I wouldn't apportion all of man Utd's problem with Moyes as its obvious from the start of this season that there are plenty of other problems in terms of the players he was left with. Van Gaals record suggest that he is a top class manager and I still think he can turn the situaton around but I'd agree with Neville who has said it may take another £100m of transfers before they can get back to winning league titles. The biggest concern is that they have played all 3 promoted teams among their opening 5 games and picked up only 5 points in total.   

pullhard

If they don't make it back in Europe next year it maybe harder to convince the big names to stay (Rooney is known to hand in requests) and even harder to attract more in. I would imagine if they are only 10 ten points off the top four around January's window then they will break the bank on defense.  Otherwise I fear last year could repeat.

gallsman

Quote from: yellowcard on September 23, 2014, 05:39:51 PM

The size of the pay packet and the clubs stature are bigger selling points in attracting players rather than basing it on who is the manager. I'm fairly sure that if Moyes had been given a second season that he would have bought just as many players as Van Gaal did. I'm not even sure that Van Gaal had much of a say in most of the summer signings. I wouldn't apportion all of man Utd's problem with Moyes as its obvious from the start of this season that there are plenty of other problems in terms of the players he was left with. Van Gaals record suggest that he is a top class manager and I still think he can turn the situaton around but I'd agree with Neville who has said it may take another £100m of transfers before they can get back to winning league titles. The biggest concern is that they have played all 3 promoted teams among their opening 5 games and picked up only 5 points in total.

a) Neville said it would be another £200m!

b) Throwing money at it isn't the solution. Look at Madrid - they may have won the CL and Copa del Rey last year but in the Guardiola era they could barely compete with Barca despite chucking money at it every summer. Ronaldo, Marcelo, Modric, di Maria, Benzema etc had one Copa del Rey (Barca subsequently spanked them in the CL semi finals) and one league to their name before last year. They went out and spent a fortune on James Rodriguez this year and have had two shockingly bad losses already this season. It's all about where the money is invested. United have spent something like 185m since Ferguson left and none of it on the centre of their defence. It will continue to be an issue for them and hamper their attempts to get back to the top until they sort it out. Barca have been rightly lambasted for years over their failure to invest in the defence and have probably left a couple of Champions Leagues behind because of it.

yellowcard

Quote from: pullhard on September 23, 2014, 05:48:46 PM
If they don't make it back in Europe next year it maybe harder to convince the big names to stay (Rooney is known to hand in requests) and even harder to attract more in. I would imagine if they are only 10 ten points off the top four around January's window then they will break the bank on defense.  Otherwise I fear last year could repeat.

Rooney will not be going anywhere for the next 4 or 5 years. No other sane club would be willing to meet his £300k per week current wages. Also if they are 10 points off the top 4 come January (which I don't think they will be) they will not be finishing in the top 4 at the end of the season. I still believe that the 3rd and 4th spots will be fought out between Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

yellowcard

Quote from: gallsman on September 23, 2014, 06:03:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 23, 2014, 05:39:51 PM

a) Neville said it would be another £200m!

b) Throwing money at it isn't the solution. Look at Madrid - they may have won the CL and Copa del Rey last year but in the Guardiola era they could barely compete with Barca despite chucking money at it every summer. Ronaldo, Marcelo, Modric, di Maria, Benzema etc had one Copa del Rey (Barca subsequently spanked them in the CL semi finals) and one league to their name before last year. They went out and spent a fortune on James Rodriguez this year and have had two shockingly bad losses already this season. It's all about where the money is invested. United have spent something like 185m since Ferguson left and none of it on the centre of their defence. It will continue to be an issue for them and hamper their attempts to get back to the top until they sort it out. Barca have been rightly lambasted for years over their failure to invest in the defence and have probably left a couple of Champions Leagues behind because of it.

Throwing money isn't necessarily the solution but it does give you a better chance of success. For years under Ferguson the fans criticised the Glazers for not spending money with the green and gold scarf campaign but it has been proven in the last 12 months to be folly since the Glazers have splashed heavily on strengthening the first team. Ferguson either wasn't willing to or didn't feel the need to strengthen in the manner that they have done in the last 12 months. I don't believe there is any way Ferguson would have sanctioned the signings that took place this summer whilst neglecting the centre back and centre midfield area which was top priiority. With some of the signings (Falcao, Di Maria and Mata) there is a certain element of playing to the fans. It bought a period of feel good factor among supporters but none of them were necessities.