Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Van Bronckhorst came on for Overmars in that game, Jimmy Floyd for Zenden. Overmars  got a lot of heavy tackles in that game so probaly wasn't a surprise he was taken off

laoislad

Now Muppet that's you told!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2014, 07:52:04 AM
Fellas, you are scraping the bottom of the blame barrel when trying to apportion blame to Ferguson.

He left behind a title winning team, with a nucleus of bright young players (De Gea, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Young, Zaha, Kagawa, Janusajz), and two of the best centre forwards in the world. He also left behind enough cash (now £200m and counting) for his successor to build his own team.

Maybe Sir Alex should have sacrificed the last 3 years of his career to build foundations firmer again, but then he probably wouldn't have won things and the same fcukwits would have been calling for his tenure to be unceremoniously ended (see about 300 pages ago on this thread for evidence). Live in the real world chaps.

In the real world Rooney isn't even nearly one of the best strikers...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 27, 2014, 10:01:07 AM
What convinces you all that LVG is? Remember Barca got rid when he had them third from bottom.  Hardly the stuff of legend.  Defeat at the weekend and things will get interesting.

He is one of the greatest managers in European football of the last 20 years. He has many notable achievements including winning most trophies that his teams contested. I am convinced but at the very least you and others must accept he has a much better chance of succeeding that a guy who never won a trophy or indeed an away match against a top 4 team? I honestly think people are afraid LVG is going to succeed and are hoping he gets the road before he gets going.

A certain Glaswegian had United down in the nether regions of the old division one some time ago and he ended up doing alright for himself.

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2014, 10:25:07 AM
What convinces you all that LVG is? Remember Barca got rid when he had them third from bottom.  Hardly the stuff of legend.  Defeat at the weekend and things will get interesting.

He played 4 strikers against 10 man Ireland in 2002, with no one to cross it to them. Jimmy Floyd went out on the wing and tried after LVG had taken off Overmars.

He played two strikers and brought 2 more off the bench in a desperate attempt to find a goal. Overmars was a non factor in that game, he was always a pussy if lads got stuck into him.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 27, 2014, 10:57:42 AM

He is one of the greatest managers in European football of the last 20 years. He has many notable achievements including winning most trophies that his teams contested
Trapattoni has a better record than Van Gaal yet when his record was offered as a reason for sticking with him you always dismissed it.

AZOffaly

He is one of the greatest managers in European football of the last 20 years. He has many notable achievements including winning most trophies that his teams contested. I am convinced but at the very least you and others must accept he has a much better chance of succeeding that a guy who never won a trophy or indeed an away match against a top 4 team? I honestly think people are afraid LVG is going to succeed and are hoping he gets the road before he gets going.

A certain Glaswegian had United down in the nether regions of the old division one some time ago and he ended up doing alright for himself.

I know I am :D

Changing systems and bringing in players to suit that system will take time, it has to. The worse thing United can do now is let van Gaal 'half' implement his plan, run out of patience and sack him. Then the next lad in will rip it all up and start again. Repeat ad infinitum.

I still think United will be fighting for 4th, and unless Liverpool bed in these new players, they might take it from us.

rodney trotter

Van Hooijdonk was the other forward they brought on with JVH, Kluivert and Van Nistelrooy were the 2 that started,.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on August 27, 2014, 11:02:49 AM

He is one of the greatest managers in European football of the last 20 years. He has many notable achievements including winning most trophies that his teams contested
Trapattoni has a better record than Van Gaal yet when his record was offered as a reason for sticking with him you always dismissed it.

Overall I'd argue LVG's record is better but it is certainly more current. Trapp has won very little since 1985, almost 30 years ago. Trapp's record was actually a reason why he should go - he still thought soccer was stuck back in the 1980's when the backpass rule helped negativity succeed.

I was right about Trapp and I'll be right about LVG too.

laoislad

Overall I'd argue that you were half right about Trap  ;)
He done a decent job with the pool of players he had. He couldn't go out and spend stupid money on players,he had to work with what he had ,which in fairness was fairly poor.
You'll probably be right about Van Gaal alright.

magpie seanie

I think it was more frustration with Trapp. felt he had brought something to it - up to a point, but he was unwilling (or unable) to modify or develop it further. I thought he should/could have done it and kept repeating some of the old mistakes so it was time to go.

There's not going to be too many dull moments with Van Gaal by the looks of it!

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 27, 2014, 11:31:04 AM
I think it was more frustration with Trapp. felt he had brought something to it - up to a point, but he was unwilling (or unable) to modify or develop it further. I thought he should/could have done it and kept repeating some of the old mistakes so it was time to go.

Seanie, will LVG stay about long enough to finish what he starts? Wouldn't he have a track record of putting in a few good years and then moving on/falling out etc.

Maybe its a short sharp shock that is needed and he'll have things right for a new man should he only stay for 2/3 seasons.

Last thing United need is another change.

Shrewdness

Vidal's agent was in Manchester yesterday!!

Bingo

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 27, 2014, 11:43:35 AM
Vidal's agent was in Manchester yesterday!!

At least he wasn't in Milton Keynes.

Boycey

Quote from: Bingo on August 27, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 27, 2014, 11:31:04 AM

Seanie, will LVG stay about long enough to finish what he starts? Wouldn't he have a track record of putting in a few good years and then moving on/falling out etc.

Maybe its a short sharp shock that is needed and he'll have things right for a new man should he only stay for 2/3 seasons.

Last thing United need is another change.

Isn't that the way nowadays, managers stay for 2/3 years only?

Mourinho, Guardiola etc seem to follow this profile??

I always thought thats why United employed Moyes and gave him such a long contract. The supposed continuity that it was to bring allows for a longer term view with regard to transfers. Rather than whats happening now where you have to buy big money players with no guarantee the next man in 2/3 years won't want a whole raft of new big money signings