johnneycool

Quote from: mb80b60 on September 03, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2013, 08:45:53 AM
Quote from: mb80b60 on September 02, 2013, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 02, 2013, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2013, 04:19:43 PM
Quote from: trileacman on September 01, 2013, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2013, 04:12:30 PM
No goals in 3 hours. United are starting to look like Everton last season. If things continue like this, Moyes will be under pressure by Christmas.

I'm on the record as saying he's a 2nd rate manager.

I have to agree. A team like Everton is his level. I gave him two seasons at United, maximum. It could be a lot shorter.

Moyes has inherited an aging squad (who need invigorated) and a team of average joes in Cleverly, Young, Nani, Anderson, etc, etc.

Fergusons greatest achievement was to win an EPL with that bunch, but he was helped with City and Chelsea imploding at the same time.

Really?

De Gea, Rafael, Fabio, Buttner, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Cleverly, Anderson, Powell, Welbeck, Zaha, Janujaz, Hernandez all under 25 and most of those are sniffing around the matchday squads.

I wouldn't think their average starting XI age is any older than many other teams, even with Giggs in it.
De Gea could be good, Rafael is OK, Hernandez is good IMO but under utilized by both Ferguson and Moyes so far. The rest are hardly going to strike fear into the top clubs in Europe, now are they, average joes.

As for Fellaini, he according to some isn't a United player, how arrogant and ignorant a statement is that as he eats and shíts out the Utd midfield and defence every time he plays against them. IMO he'll be a good signing for you if deployed the right way and now he dons the red of united he'll get a lot more leeway from referees.

1) You said Moyes has inherited an aging squad - he hasn't.

2) Average Joes?  Come on, don't be silly.

Best players 30 or over , Vidic, age 31, Ferdinand, 34, Van Persie 30, Giggs, 65.

Rooney is 27 and is still one of their effective players, the rest I mentioned are what I'd term functional players, give them a menial task and they'll do fine, some not even. Anderson, Nani, Young, Fabio, Cleverly, Jones, Evans wouldn't get a sniff of a start at any other team in Europe with serious ambitions of CL glory.

Serious dead wood in that squad.

magpie seanie

I thought David Gill was bad but this Woodward guy looks like some fool. Embarrassing end to a badly mismanaged transfer window. I'm sceptical about Fellaini but I've been wrong before (a certain centre forward with a list of misdemeanours signed from Leeds was one!) and hope to be wrong again. When you see Ozil going to Arsenal then Fellaini underwhelms.

Like others I can't understand what the situation is with Kagawa. With Rooney out for Sunday he surely should have got at least a half an hour. He is quality but Moyes seems to value functionality above all else. I don't agree that "he needs time" - he took over the reigning champions FFS. It's not like he has to change a lot. If United lose to City in a couple of weeks he is already in trouble.

mb80b60

Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2013, 12:08:27 PM
No goals in 3 hours. United are starting to look like Everton last season. If things continue like this, Moyes will be under pressure by Christmas.

I have to agree. A team like Everton is his level. I gave him two seasons at United, maximum. It could be a lot shorter.

Moyes has inherited an aging squad (who need invigorated) and a team of average joes in Cleverly, Young, Nani, Anderson, etc, etc.

Fergusons greatest achievement was to win an EPL with that bunch, but he was helped with City and Chelsea imploding at the same time.

Really?

De Gea, Rafael, Fabio, Buttner, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Cleverly, Anderson, Powell, Welbeck, Zaha, Janujaz, Hernandez all under 25 and most of those are sniffing around the matchday squads.

I wouldn't think their average starting XI age is any older than many other teams, even with Giggs in it.
De Gea could be good, Rafael is OK, Hernandez is good IMO but under utilized by both Ferguson and Moyes so far. The rest are hardly going to strike fear into the top clubs in Europe, now are they, average joes.

As for Fellaini, he according to some isn't a United player, how arrogant and ignorant a statement is that as he eats and shíts out the Utd midfield and defence every time he plays against them. IMO he'll be a good signing for you if deployed the right way and now he dons the red of united he'll get a lot more leeway from referees.

Best players 30 or over , Vidic, age 31, Ferdinand, 34, Van Persie 30, Giggs, 65.

Rooney is 27 and is still one of their effective players, the rest I mentioned are what I'd term functional players, give them a menial task and they'll do fine, some not even. Anderson, Nani, Young, Fabio, Cleverly, Jones, Evans wouldn't get a sniff of a start at any other team in Europe with serious ambitions of CL glory.

Funny how this deadwood won the the premier league with plenty to spare last year and were unlucky to go out against Real Madrid in the champions league.

So what if Vidic/RVP/Evra/Carrick are around 30?  They're showing no signs of slowing down.  They all have a few good years left yet.

deiseach

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 03, 2013, 09:52:33 AM
I read that liine about him not being a United player too, takes one journalist to spout that then it becomes contagious. 

Aye, the idea that Fellaini is 'not a United player' seems to have gone viral. Maybe he won't be good enough. But the boy clearly has talent and he might be just the ticket.

AZOffaly

He's a big strong lad, with an eye for a goal. I don't think he'd be mistaken for a creative, string pulling midfielder, but he's a good player. Maybe Kagawa is going to get a chance after all, I'd have expected him to get the road if Moyes didn't fancy him.

ballinaman

I'd be happy with this front 6, lack of width would be the only thing! Kagawa and Rooney rotating.

RVP

Rooney    Welbeck/Hernandez

Kagawa  Carrick

Fellaini

johnneycool

Quote from: mb80b60 on September 03, 2013, 12:26:52 PM

Really?

Funny how this deadwood won the the premier league with plenty to spare last year and were unlucky to go out against Real Madrid in the champions league.

So what if Vidic/RVP/Evra/Carrick are around 30?  They're showing no signs of slowing down.  They all have a few good years left yet.

As I've said before Fergies biggest legacy was getting this bunch over the finishing line last year, but was ably assisted by both Chelsea and Man City imploding and fighting with their respective managers.

Manu were hanging on for dear life at the Bernabéu and did well to get the draw. Sending off aside they were also the better team at Old trafford. Madrid were then handed their arses by Dortmund in the semi-final.

Carrick certainly isn't slowing down.  ;)

Jonah

Yesterday was an absolute shambles and a embarrassing day for the club.
I think Moyes hadn't a clue who he wanted to sign once Cesc said no. There was bids been rejected left right and centre and it seemed he was desperate to get anyone in it didn't matter who.

The whole Herrera thing is a joke and a further embarrassment. Who were these two impostors posing on behalf on Man U?
I went to bed thinking ah it's not so bad as I thought Coentrao was a good signing,only to wake up this morning to see that had also fallen through. ::)

Arsenal,Chelsea,Man City,Spurs and Liverpool have all strengthen their squads for the better from last season.Does Fellaini really strengthen United all that much? Christ even Everton have done great business in the transfer window.
I would say they are laughing their sides sick in Goodison Park at United this morning. United could have gotten Fellaini for 4 mill less a few weeks ago ffs  ::) United then post on their website that they have signed Fellaini for an undisclosed fee then Everton come out on their site giving the full price! United obviously trying to cover up the fact it cost them 4mill more than it should.

Between not being able to land Cesc to the fcuk ups with Herrera,Coentrao and others yesterday it has been a complete shambles.
I would think United have enough to beat Palace in a few weeks but if City beat them they are in serious trouble even at this early stage.

I took a bit of time this morning to read back on this thread. Lads were talking about United signing the likes of Ronaldo and Bale...Laughable now when you think about it.

Tony Baloney

Whatever happened to always looking on the bright side of life? Still finish top 3 this season and prob improve next season.

trileacman

Quote from: EC Unique on September 02, 2013, 04:17:11 PM
Herrera, Baines and Fellaini all looking likely at this stage. Would not be so bad..
.    ;D ;D
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mb80b60

Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2013, 12:57:37 PM

Really?

As I've said before Fergies biggest legacy was getting this bunch over the finishing line last year, but was ably assisted by both Chelsea and Man City imploding and fighting with their respective managers.

Manu were hanging on for dear life at the Bernabéu and did well to get the draw. Sending off aside they were also the better team at Old trafford. Madrid were then handed their arses by Dortmund in the semi-final.

Aye, he just about got them over the finishing line, with a points total United have only bettered once in the last 15 years, and that was by one point! 

I think you are revising history there aboutt he Madrid games too.  United were well in the tie and favourites before the sending off.

No real surprise though  - United players are very often underrated, especially by the Irish.

bluenosebandit

In terms of the premier league, united are more than good enough to win it, but i fear they wont as I dont think moyes has the know-how to get them over the line in the big games. Just a personal opionion, liverpool didnt beat a single team last year that were above them, this year they chinned the champions. United have remained just as good as they were last year, the rest of the teams have improved vastly. (including arsenal having made one notable signing, ozil is that good.)

In terms of the champions league, united are a milion miles away from the madrids, the barcas, bayerns, dortmunds and chelsea's (given the business chelsea have done since united played them) of this world. And the calibre of players they are prepared to spend big money on:
madrid: bale and ronaldo £85 million
barca:neymar £50 million
bayern:javi martinez £33 million Gotze 32 million
chelsea: torres £50 million (even though not worth it) Willian £30 million
The squad spurs have built even looks more promising. I can say with some trepidation, as a united supporter, i honestly fear we could be looking forward to watching united on a thursday night next season

johnneycool

Quote from: mb80b60 on September 03, 2013, 02:07:01 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2013, 12:57:37 PM

Really?

Aye, he just about got them over the finishing line, with a points total United have only bettered once in the last 15 years, and that was by one point! 

I think you are revising history there aboutt he Madrid games too.  United were well in the tie and favourites before the sending off.

No real surprise though  - United players are very often underrated, especially by the Irish.

That's why Utd were fending off interest from the teams rotten with money for Phil Jones, Tom Cleverly and the likes.

deiseach

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 03, 2013, 01:32:41 PM
Whatever happened to always looking on the bright side of life? Still finish top 3 this season and prob improve next season.

This is Manchester United. Top 3? Sure that's a given. Haven't been out ofthe top 3 for 20 years FFS. Manchester United should be winning or at least competing to win everything. There's no room for "bedding in" or getting used to it - you hit the ground running or else.