Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Eh, because he is, I know this you are a WUM, but Carrick was one of united's best performers last year and was one of the main reasons that they pushed city so close for the title.

STREET FIGHTER

Not a WUM.

That would have been the worst wind up ever. 

Always being debated.

So many for him but so many against him.

Talk of him now playing a major role for England despite not going to the Euros.

Personally i dont see the hype about him.

UTD was a step too much for him.

cadence

carrick is alright for premiership games where utd control most games, but is out of his depth at the top level. imo he can spread it about nicely, but needs way too much time on the ball and either can't read the game quick enough, or can but is doesn't have the skill and physical attributes to get the pass off when he's under pressure. his control and dribbling skills are not as good as the top players.

wildrover

As a Utd fan I think Carrick is f**king brutal...

I am constantly being told by other utd fans (and even Utd players in interviews) about how much 'unnoticed work he goes through' etc....surely that is the minimum requirement of any professional footballer?!

His passes are watery...he plays team-mates into trouble too often on the rare occasions when he decides to deviate from his standard backwards or sideways play...his tackling is pish-poor and he doesnt score...

Good to see Fletcher back in the squad...hopefully by christmas he can force his way back into central midfield for the 'crunch' games he is suited to so well!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: wildrover on September 14, 2012, 03:19:19 PM

I am constantly being told by other utd fans (and even Utd players in interviews) about how much 'unnoticed work he goes through' etc....surely that is the minimum requirement of any professional footballer?!

His passes are watery...he plays team-mates into trouble too often on the rare occasions when he decides to deviate from his standard backwards or sideways play...his tackling is pish-poor and he doesnt score...

Good to see Fletcher back in the squad...hopefully by christmas he can force his way back into central midfield for the 'crunch' games he is suited to so well!

Better player if he can stay fit.

NAG1

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on September 14, 2012, 03:28:19 PM

Better player if he can stay fit.

Different player not necessarily better, if you watch the games Carrick is the cog that mean United keep the ball he is a get out ball for the defence and for the mid field when they have to go backwards, he never seems to be making crunching tackles because more often than not his positional sense means he has cut the pass out or has intercepted a player on his feet.

He is an important and under rated player for united. But its a game of opinions.

magpie seanie

I'll add my opinion so. Michael Carrick is not near the standard required to play for Manchester United. Frankly I am surprised there are people who think he is. Some of his shortcomings have been mentioned already but what is apparent to me and annoys me most is that for a guy of 6 foot plus he is incredibly weak physically. A bit wimpy. Olic bullying him a few years ago sticks in my mind.

cadence

he also has no burst of pace over first 5 metres and takes an age to turn, like an oil tanker or something. the game's much more about speed of thought and quick passing now than it ever has been. good enough squad premiership player, but really, utd should sell him. 

The Worker

Evra dropped.

Wonder will he get his place back for the trip to anfield next week?

The Worker

PENALTY - Manchester United
Danny Welbeck goes down in the box under a sliding challenge from Ali Al-Habsi. It is a soft, soft, spot spot-kick. In fact, it shouldn't have been a spot kick at all as Welbeck dived

MISSED PENALTY - Manchester United - Javier Hernandez
Justice is done as Javier Hernandez's penalty - softly-struck to the right - is saved by Ali Al-Habsi. It was a poor effort from Hernandez and an easy job for the keeper to save.

stew

If you think carrick has been brutal this last twelve months you have not got a clue what a footballer looks like.

If you are talking two  seasons ago I would agree completely with you.

To me Carrick was their third best player last season (outfield players) with Rooney and Valencia being the only players that you could really say were better, Scholes was great when he came back.

He is soft and every player in Europe knows it but he is very, very accurate when passing and this past year he did a lot more work this past year than he ever did for United before.

I think he is a great man to have playing in European games away from home, he is accurate and technically gifted enough to live with the better European players and his work rate is very good in European games.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

laoislad

Welbeck continuing his diving antics after his Oscar winning dive for England.
At least the peno was missed. Justice done.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stew

Quote from: laoislad on September 15, 2012, 03:18:01 PM

I have gone off that clown because of that shite, i am glad the penalty was missed and hope the hoor gets sent off.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

EC Unique

Great win for Utd, finding some form in front of goal. The new signings are proving themselves well. Top 4 taking shape.

EC Unique

Quote from: laoislad on September 15, 2012, 03:18:01 PM
Quote from: The Worker on September 15, 2012, 03:10:35 PM
PENALTY - Manchester United
Danny Welbeck goes down in the box under a sliding challenge from Ali Al-Habsi. It is a soft, soft, spot spot-kick. In fact, it shouldn't have been a spot kick at all as Welbeck dived

MISSED PENALTY - Manchester United - Javier Hernandez
Justice is done as Javier Hernandez's penalty - softly-struck to the right - is saved by Ali Al-Habsi. It was a poor effort from Hernandez and an easy job for the keeper to save.

I see Saurez at the same Craic and got booked for it.