Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

When Fergie does it  - Clever, mind games, playing the media, seige mentality, for the club, genius etc etc
When others do it - cracking up, lost the plot, out of depth, weak etc etc

Thats from looking at comments on here in the past. In my opinion, Fergie does use the media for Uniteds benefit and he does get value for it. Part is his ego but its mainly revolves round what he sees as best for the club.

The DHL and BBC thing does show a different side to the whole story though.

I'm surprised EC hasn't been posting about Rooney leaving United in the summer as its all over the gossip columns that he loves reporting on.

Jonah

Quote from: EC Unique on August 28, 2012, 11:12:20 PM
Journalists vastly over rate their own importance.

Sez the man who believes everything they publish!
Copy and paste king!

Bingo

Quote from: Jonah on August 29, 2012, 10:25:36 AM

Copy and paste king!

Haha, brillant  ;D

NAG1

Where's the story here? Fergie doesnt like any reporters that in his perception write stories against him, the players or the club and he exercises this by banning them from 'his' press conferences. Move along nothing to see here!

Bingo

Quote from: NAG1 on August 29, 2012, 10:49:42 AM
Where's the story here? Fergie doesnt like any reporters that in his perception write stories against him, the players or the club and he exercises this by banning them from 'his' press conferences. Move along nothing to see here!

This wasn't a story against him, they merely reported that one of his players was injured and would miss the opening games of the season. All of which was true.

supersarsfields

He's cracking. Can't take the success of the noisy neighbours. Losing the plot. Next thing he'll be making an offer for Walcott!!

NAG1

Quote from: Bingo on August 29, 2012, 10:52:44 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 29, 2012, 10:49:42 AM

This wasn't a story against him, they merely reported that one of his players was injured and would miss the opening games of the season. All of which was true.

Thats where his perception comes in, if he thinks the reporter got the story through means that werent official lines through the club then he would view this as being against the club so there 'he' sees fit to ban them from the conferences.

EC Unique

Quote from: Bingo on August 29, 2012, 10:29:07 AM

Copy and paste king!

Haha, brillant  ;D

Your opinion of brilliance speaks volumes..

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on August 29, 2012, 11:24:36 AM

Copy and paste king!

Haha, brillant  ;D

Your opinion of brilliance speaks volumes..

You'd make a cracking tabloid journo, see/hear one thing and then write a story based loosely on what heard with a totally different outcome.

screenexile

Quote from: EC Unique on August 29, 2012, 09:50:13 AM
Screen, it is called 'siege mentality'. A lot of managers use it too good effect. Mickey Harte has done similar in the past to protect the Tyrone camp. Fergie is propably the best and the journalists do not like the fact that he can disregard them in such a way.

Don't get me wrong journo's can be assholes too. My problem is that this journo seems to be fairly reputable, got wind of Rio being injured for a month and now he's being ostracised for doing his job properly. I understand using negative press to create a siege mentality and of course it can and has been used well by Fergie in the past but I don't think this instance counts!!

He had the perfect opportunity to use it last year when the journo asked him why the Premier League teams were struggling in Europe only he took a strop.

Anyway in the grand scheme of things I don't think this episode will win or lose the Premier League.

nrico2006

I always thought that the majority of the posters on here regarded journalists as the scum of the earth, especially the Liverpool fans.  Now they are poor wee victims due to Sir Alex telling one to f**k off, wise up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 29, 2012, 12:28:39 PM
I always thought that the majority of the posters on here regarded journalists as the scum of the earth, especially the Liverpool fans.  Now they are poor wee victims due to Sir Alex telling one to f**k off, wise up.

Like everything else, every journo needs to be judged on their own merit. For instance, I'd rather have a rat chew my foot off than watch the Sunday Supplement - you'd watch that and think you where watching a recorded meeting of top football managers, such is their level of self-importance and back patting.

Many have their own agenda's and bow to the agenda's of the papers they write for.

This isn't about what scum journo's are but rather the lenghts United, or as you call him "sir alex", will go to hold the media in their grasp.

Jonah

I hate it when Irish people call him Sir Alex.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jonah on August 29, 2012, 12:45:16 PM
I hate it when Irish people call him Sir Alex.

So do I, it is pathetic.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

laoislad

Copy and paste king!

Haha, brillant  ;D

Caughtoffside.com is EC's favourite website.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.