Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Very difficult to ask a supporter to stop supporting his team. I think asking people not to renew season tickets or go to matches is a pointless and fruitless exercise.

Silly having an objective thats impossible to achieve. The objective should be that no MU fans buys any offical MU gear, that no programs are bought for any game, that no food/drink etc is bought inside the ground. That's achieveable and can make a difference. Already there has been a noticeable drop in commercial revenue this year because of the yellow and green. The key moment though will be when the next new jersey is released.

One match a season should be picked to boycott. Just one, so there will be a chance of success.

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2010, 10:23:41 AM
Very difficult to ask a supporter to stop supporting his team. I think asking people not to renew season tickets or go to matches is a pointless and fruitless exercise.

Silly having an objective thats impossible to achieve. The objective should be that no MU fans buys any offical MU gear, that no programs are bought for any game, that no food/drink etc is bought inside the ground. That's achieveable and can make a difference. Already there has been a noticeable drop in commercial revenue this year because of the yellow and green. The key moment though will be when the next new jersey is released.

One match a season should be picked to boycott. Just one, so there will be a chance of success.

There's a great journalist at the Guardian, Barry Glendenning, who points out the ridiculousness of the green and yellow protests while Old Trafford is still packed out every week. The only way to hurt the Glazers is financially. One match a season will not have a significant impact - it's the sight of an empty stadium driving away sponsors that will hurt.

RealSpiritof98

The one match protest might be a better strategy along with the non purchase of offical goods, the boxing day game would be ideal, as there would be little or no news reported so it would be headline stuff plus the vast majority of the western world will be on holiday and will get to see the empty stadium

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on May 24, 2010, 11:44:25 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2010, 10:23:41 AM

There's a great journalist at the Guardian, Barry Glendenning, who points out the ridiculousness of the green and yellow protests while Old Trafford is still packed out every week. The only way to hurt the Glazers is financially. One match a season will not have a significant impact - it's the sight of an empty stadium driving away sponsors that will hurt.

Glendenning is missing the point (as have some other commentators) the G&G campaign has been hugely useful, as someone has already pointed out, as a galvanising tool. The Glazers have been basically raping the club for 5 years now to apathy from most of the fans and mass media but since the campaign started it has rarely been out of the papers  the more people that are educated to the facts the better. The unfortunate reality of the modern world is that people need to be told what to believe by the likes of the Sun and the Mirror so to that end G&G worked.

To the guys talking about not renewing, don't renew!! I gave mine up 3-4 years ago and have never regreted it . I truly believe that until enough people do the same things can't/won't change. I still get to 4-5 aways a season and have been all over Europe to Champ League games so there is still opportunity to get to games.

What has the G&G achieved beyond galvanisation though? While they might be seen on TV and in the papers, MUST are less than insignificant. The Red Knights are coming to nothing. Where now for United fans?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 11:51:24 AM
Where now for United fans?
Mid table mediocrity with a bit of luck

NAG1

Realistically what are the options to get rid of the Galzers, Im not talking fan protests because they basically amount to f$$k all squared.

Someone of you smart fans tell me how its going to be resolved with the glazers being out?

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on May 24, 2010, 12:50:20 PM
But that was the purpose of the campaign no more no less , I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that wearing green and gold scarves was gonna be enough to make the Glazers sell up. Its where to go from here thats important, the green and gold has served its purpose in that people are now questioning the regime at Old Trafford. I could post up 50 articles from the newspapers here that question the Glazers thats about 49 more than were written last year.

That's all well and good but you haven't stated where to go. What's the point of having an organised bandwagon if there's no destination in mind? I don't care about United or their fans in the slightest but the only way to hurt the Glazers is financially. The scarves do nothing for that as most scarves aren't official club merchandise. Next season you're still likely to see people buying replica jerseys along with green and gold scarves. There'll be more than enough replica jerseys sold both in these parts and the far east to keep the Glazers happy. The only way to hurt them is to force sponsors to pull out because of the sight of a repeatedly half empty stadium.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 02:58:33 PM
But that was the purpose of the campaign no more no less , I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that wearing green and gold scarves was gonna be enough to make the Glazers sell up. Its where to go from here thats important, the green and gold has served its purpose in that people are now questioning the regime at Old Trafford. I could post up 50 articles from the newspapers here that question the Glazers thats about 49 more than were written last year.

That's all well and good but you haven't stated where to go. What's the point of having an organised bandwagon if there's no destination in mind? I don't care about United or their fans in the slightest but the only way to hurt the Glazers is financially. The scarves do nothing for that as most scarves aren't official club merchandise. Next season you're still likely to see people buying replica jerseys along with green and gold scarves. There'll be more than enough replica jerseys sold both in these parts and the far east to keep the Glazers happy. The only way to hurt them is to force sponsors to pull out because of the sight of a repeatedly half empty stadium.
I disagree.

If fans just bought yellow and green merchandise rather than official merchandise, that will impact on the Glaziers.

As I said before its pointless asking fans not to go to games or to give up season tickets. You have to keep supporting the players, regardless of what goes on upstairs. And United will sell out every game anyway, so some fans giving up their tickets will mean absolutely nothing, because they are easily replaced. What is not replaceable is the money fans spend on merchandise. The green/yellow has been an excellent campaign - its becoming that the "real fan" will now want to be seen in this colour rather than the red. If they keep this up it will spread to Asia etc very quickly.

This will put huge pressure on the Glaziers financial model and force a sale.

The Red Knights seemed to be genuinely on track up to a couple of weeks ago, but something is after going wrong.  I dunno what. Someone else will come along though, for sure.

bingobus

Quote from: Boycey on May 24, 2010, 03:15:36 PM

Thats where I've said we should go.....

By the way, United could sell no replicas jerseys this summer and it would make no difference they (as will all the top clubs) have signed a deal with Nike that pays them X amount every season over the course of the deal and are not reliant on individual jersey sales

You think thats right? I'm sure there is some sort of performance related clause in most of these contracts?
If not then at the very least falling sales of replica's/other kit would have a major bearing when renewal of that contract comes up - talking millions - plus the shirt sponsor would also look for a major discount if the main outlet for their branding is not been sold at the levels expected - again talking millions.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hound on May 24, 2010, 03:27:34 PM

As I said before its pointless asking fans not to go to games or to give up season tickets. You have to keep supporting the players, regardless of what goes on upstairs. And United will sell out every game anyway, so some fans giving up their tickets will mean absolutely nothing, because they are easily replaced. What is not replaceable is the money fans spend on merchandise. The green/yellow has been an excellent campaign - its becoming that the "real fan" will now want to be seen in this colour rather than the red. If they keep this up it will spread to Asia etc very quickly.

Anyone really think the Glazers give a fiddlers that PAYING customers are wearing green and yellow scarves. Customers who are usually also bedecked in club merchandise at the same time. Sports franchise oweners are often wildly unpopular in the US so not being liked by the fanbase will not be unusual for them and I doubt they are losing any sleep over it.

bingobus

In relation to calling for boycotts (many in SOS and on LFC forums have called for them), it is a very sensitive issue. If the tickets aren't taken up by usual people, then they'll just be sold to people who won't boycott or are ignorant to it. You need people/season ticket holders to take up their option on tickets but not turn up ie leave the stadium as empty as possible. To me thats the only workable way of doing it. Send the message to sponsors and the owners whats happening and what will happen.

A boycott has to be done right and at the first attempt to get peopel to trust it and go through with it the second time. A few thousand wouldn't be missed in OT or even Anfield, you would need a massive buy-in of at least 10,000 plus. That is the big reluctance to do one. It has been nailed on first go.

On LFC forums other plans would include a mass walkout after start of second half, again hard to trust people to go through with it.

gallsman

I disagree.

If fans just bought yellow and green merchandise rather than official merchandise, that will impact on the Glaziers.

The Red Knights seemed to be genuinely on track up to a couple of weeks ago, but something is after going wrong.  I dunno what. Someone else will come along though, for sure.

The G&G will have no chance whatsoever of spreading to Asia. The sight of a G&G scarf on top of a forty quid United jersey is laughable. As stated previously, that campaign is in no way significant enough to put financial pressure on the Glazers to sell. What must also be considered is that without the Red Knights, whose bid is doomed, who wants United when the Glazers are turning down €1.5 billion bids from the Arab world?

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on May 24, 2010, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 24, 2010, 05:43:00 PM
I disagree.

The G&G will have no chance whatsoever of spreading to Asia. The sight of a G&G scarf on top of a forty quid United jersey is laughable. As stated previously, that campaign is in no way significant enough to put financial pressure on the Glazers to sell. What must also be considered is that without the Red Knights, whose bid is doomed, who wants United when the Glazers are turning down €1.5 billion bids from the Arab world?

With the greatest of respect you have no clue what you're talking about.

Elaborate. You really believe that someone in Shanghai is going to want a green and gold scarf instead of the replica jersey with the fancy Nike tick on it?

Do you believe the G&G protest have any impact on the Glazers whatsoever?

Do you believe the Red Knights bid is alive and well, and likely to succeed?

How does any of what I've said not make sense? Who is going to come in and save United now for their supporters?

ross4life

I don't care about United or their fans in the slightest

Well judging by all your posts here today...you certainly have a keen interest in the ongoings at Manchester united FC

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on May 24, 2010, 10:46:18 PM

I don't care about United or their fans in the slightest

Well judging by all your posts here today...you certainly have a keen interest in the ongoings at Manchester united FC

Exactly. There's a vast difference between having an interest and caring.