Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 03, 2023, 11:35:03 PM
Monaghan have always caused Dublin plenty of problems, I see the nxt game no difference. Dublin were very good today, but Mayo calfed, they should been ahead at half time. Gave 2 very poor goals away and missed a sitter of a goal. The older a mayo team would kept with it. This team gave up, abit like last year against Kerry.
Agree - the first goal was awful ball-watching by O'Hora, the second a classic end line error. 

seafoid

Main Street

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 03, 2023, 11:35:03 PM
Monaghan have always caused Dublin plenty of problems, I see the nxt game no difference. Dublin were very good today, but Mayo calfed, they should been ahead at half time. Gave 2 very poor goals away and missed a sitter of a goal. The older a mayo team would kept with it. This team gave up, abit like last year against Kerry.
We have not caused Dublin any problems in the 2 1/4 final championship games. Whilst we have put it up to Kerry in the last 3 championship outings. Albeit one big defeat to the Dubs was exagerbated by the corner back doing in his ACL but played on, leaking  2 goals to his opponent and effectively killing the game. I would have preferred to meet Kerry, just because  of  our history with them.

bennydorano

In the 2 semis - I expect that Derry's defensive system won't hold out simply because Kerry have too many good players with power & speed and they don't play with the fear that paralyses lesser teams, they will punch holes in it with increasing regularity as the game goes on.  I don't think Derry have enough up front either, Tyrone had 3 marquee forwards and none of them counted and when you consider McGuigan will likely get the treatment it wouldn't surprise me if he's off before half time in an 'accidental' collision, I don't see who is picking up the slack or helping him to a meaningful level.  I'd imagine Kerry will target Glass as well, quite possibly physically but I mean in disrupting his influence, he could well be man marked.

Without wanting to insult Monaghan I can't see them progressing to another level and the level that beat Armagh wont beat Dublin.  I did think Mayo gave up the ghost very easily last Sunday tho, they gifted 2 goals, missed an absolute sitter themselves, on another day that game would have been a lot closer, so maybe Monaghan can take some solace from that as they'll surely not give up the ghost, overall I'd say Kerry look to be in pole position.

seanyb

Quote from: bennydorano on July 04, 2023, 03:20:26 PM
In the 2 semis - I expect that Derry's defensive system won't hold out simply because Kerry have too many good players with power & speed and they don't play with the fear that paralyses lesser teams, they will punch holes in it with increasing regularity as the game goes on.  I don't think Derry have enough up front either, Tyrone had 3 marquee forwards and none of them counted and when you consider McGuigan will likely get the treatment it wouldn't surprise me if he's off before half time in an 'accidental' collision, I don't see who is picking up the slack or helping him to a meaningful level.  I'd imagine Kerry will target Glass as well, quite possibly physically but I mean in disrupting his influence, he could well be man marked.

Without wanting to insult Monaghan I can't see them progressing to another level and the level that beat Armagh wont beat Dublin.  I did think Mayo gave up the ghost very easily last Sunday tho, they gifted 2 goals, missed an absolute sitter themselves, on another day that game would have been a lot closer, so maybe Monaghan can take some solace from that as they'll surely not give up the ghost, overall I'd say Kerry look to be in pole position.

Not much point Derry turning up then...

JoG2

Quote from: seanyb on July 04, 2023, 03:49:08 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 04, 2023, 03:20:26 PM

Not much point Derry turning up then...

They'll only be a kick of the ball in it on Sunday week

Fuzzman

Quote from: full moon on July 02, 2023, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 02, 2023, 09:44:27 PM
Could anyone be arsed with a kerry dublin final if it is that might be a good game but people are going to become disillusioned if they them two keep dominating.
I'm disillusioned myself after the weekend. Far too many awful matches, most games are either very negative like Derry Cork or mismatches like Mayo Dublin etc

Id rather also see Dublin or Kerry not win everything since they have dominated throughout history. I do think the media try to play down how far ahead Dublin and Kerry are to make it seem more interesting. There was huge guff about Galway and Mayo being the favourites this year, well the past week said it all about that.

I think a lot of counties are disillusioned but the facts are that over the last 20 years, only 3 teams have broken the Kerry-Dublin dominance. The 90s had much more variations in different winners but for the most part it's always been a two horse race.

2021 Tyrone
2012 Donegal
2010 Cork
2008 Tyrone
2005 Tyrone
2003 Tyrone

All the chat this year about it being such an open championship looks to be ill founded although Derry & Monaghan might surprise us all.

As a spectacle the game really has gone backwards and as Aaron Kernan remarked on Saturday how he's never seen Kerry fans cheer so much for turnovers before.
Several matches now see all 30 players in the other teams half at times.
If you are a neutral you wouldnt pay in to watch it any more but like the Derry fans are experiencing, when your team is winning with these style of play then you feel it's not that bad to watch.

Rossfan

Competitive sport is all about the winning.
Entertaining neutrals doesn't come into it.
No neutrals will pay to watch other Counties.
Isn't it 18 of the last 20 AIs have gone to Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AustinPowers

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2023, 04:42:22 PM
Could anyone be arsed with a kerry dublin final if it is that might be a good game but people are going to become disillusioned if they them two keep dominating.
I'm disillusioned myself after the weekend. Far too many awful matches, most games are either very negative like Derry Cork or mismatches like Mayo Dublin etc

Id rather also see Dublin or Kerry not win everything since they have dominated throughout history. I do think the media try to play down how far ahead Dublin and Kerry are to make it seem more interesting. There was huge guff about Galway and Mayo being the favourites this year, well the past week said it all about that.

I think a lot of counties are disillusioned but the facts are that over the last 20 years, only 3 teams have broken the Kerry-Dublin dominance. The 90s had much more variations in different winners but for the most part it's always been a two horse race.

2021 Tyrone
2012 Donegal
2010 Cork
2008 Tyrone
2005 Tyrone
2003 Tyrone

All the chat this year about it being such an open championship looks to be ill founded although Derry & Monaghan might surprise us all.

As a spectacle the game really has gone backwards and as Aaron Kernan remarked on Saturday how he's never seen Kerry fans cheer so much for turnovers before.

If you are a neutral you wouldnt pay in to watch it any more but like the Derry fans are experiencing, when your team is winning with these style of play then you feel it's not that bad to watch.

Very much so.  Most of us  like to see great attacking play, great scores,  good skills , nicely worked scores.  What we see now  is akin to  one of those  sliding tile puzzles.  Keep moving  things around so much , til we get an inch of space 14  yards out , and tap it  over the bar.  Would sicken your Shiite . The game as a  spectacle has  totally gone to the dogs .

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2023, 04:42:22 PM

2021 Tyrone
2012 Donegal
2010 Cork
2008 Tyrone
2005 Tyrone
2003 Tyrone

It's all about performing in the quarter final and not declaring anything before that.
They made a mess of the pre quarter final timing. With another week off who knows?

An Watcher

If I hear another person say armagh have no luck I really don't know.  Did armagh not have the handiest draw in ulster in a while? Did they not catch a massive break scoring that goal against westmeath?  They played well against galway but ride their luck to earn a win.  Seriously, they've had their fair share thus year

seafoid

The RTE podcast asked if the best teams were represented in the last 4 and they aren't. Instead there is a procession for Kerry and Dublin.
It was a mistake to run 3 weekends in a row. The competition suffered.

Mario

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2023, 07:33:35 PM
The RTE podcast asked if the best teams were represented in the last 4 and they aren't. Instead there is a procession for Kerry and Dublin.
Galway were beat by Armagh and Mayo, they'd the same rest before these games as their opposition. Mayo were beat by Cork and Dublin. If you are in the top 4 in the country it's likely you will top your group and get the 2 weeks rest. If you aren't you will suffer.

Derryman forever

Why bother with all these games to see who gets to the last 4.
Sure RTE podcast can make that decision next year.

RTE podcast has opinions, nothing more, and we all know what opinions are like.

imtommygunn

What a load of nonsense.