Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2023, 03:56:56 PM
The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county's matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.
I don't think people are saying all matches all the time.
But asking GAA people to stump up €12 a match to line the pockets of RTE/GAA, when the people who are being asked to pay are GAA people, most of who are already paying club subs and contributing in other ways.

It's probably not practical to have all 3 games on the Saturday live, but no reason two of them couldn't have been on RTE or TG4. Instead the GAA entered a deal designed to get more from GAA people's pockets.

rrhf

I think GAA go is the GAA cutting in too much to the loyal fanbase.  They have created a mini sky tv station without the fuss.  How awfully commercial of us! I believe the ppv should be left up to the counties for their own club games etc.

Hound

Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2023, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 04:10:12 PM
The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county's matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.

On the topic

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0508/1382379-martin-on-gaago-all-matches-should-be-free-to-air/

Absolutely idiotic statements.

Either the GAA more than halves the number of championship games, or RTE opens a deviated sports channel, or his wishes are basically impossible.
It's amazing how we cope with showing every match every day on free to air channels when the soccer and rugby world cups come around. Sometimes 4 games a day during the soccer!
2 games on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday across the championship season across the free to air channels wouldn't really be a big deal to arrange. They've even used the RTE News channel as an overflow in the past for certain events.

bennydorano

The Gaa will reap what they sow with GAAGO, a clamour for money from the trough from the GPA. It will also do for the GAA what moving to Racing TV has done for horse racing in Ireland- absolutely f**k all.

I've bought 2 GAAGO matches so far and it really does bug me, especially as someone who went back to a Sky sub largely for the GAA.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on May 08, 2023, 04:21:05 PM

On the topic

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0508/1382379-martin-on-gaago-all-matches-should-be-free-to-air/

Either the GAA more than halves the number of championship games, or RTE opens a deviated sports channel, or his wishes are basically impossible.
It's amazing how we cope with showing every match every day on free to air channels when the soccer and rugby world cups come around. Sometimes 4 games a day during the soccer!
2 games on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday across the championship season across the free to air channels wouldn't really be a big deal to arrange. They've even used the RTE News channel as an overflow in the past for certain events.

Yes it can be done if they put their mind to it. IMO I'd give the majority of the coverage to TG4 as they have been by far the best with their coverage and can show different matches at the same time on their APP and website online.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 04:39:01 PM

On the topic

Yes it can be done if they put their mind to it. IMO I'd give the majority of the coverage to TG4 as they have been by far the best with their coverage and can show different matches at the same time on their APP and website online.

It's just not practical to broadcast games in Irish when most people have no or little understanding of it.
Theres literally never been as many games on free to air tv and people are still whining. They even offered a season pass at the start for ridiculous value compared to individual games.

rrhf

Well they need to offer it again

Blowitupref

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 08, 2023, 04:44:08 PM
The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county’s matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.

On the topic

It's just not practical to broadcast games in Irish when most people have no or little understanding of it.
Theres literally never been as many games on free to air tv and people are still whining. They even offered a season pass at the start for ridiculous value compared to individual games.

Has been practical for the NFL,underage county and club championship games regardless if you don't understand Irish. Pop on the English radio coverage alongside these games if that's an issue.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 04:54:25 PM

On the topic

Has been practical for the NFL,underage county and club championship games regardless if you don't understand Irish. Pop on the English radio coverage alongside these games if that's an issue.

For big championship games? You are mental if you think that's acceptable coverage.

Blowitupref

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 08, 2023, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 04:54:25 PM
The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county’s matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.

On the topic

For big championship games? You are mental if you think that's acceptable coverage.

For example plenty myself included will be watching All Ireland U20 final on Saturday on TG4 and such coverage has become acceptable and nothing mental about it. The real "big" senior championship games (All Ireland semi finals and final) will be live RTE.

thewobbler

On the topic

I wonder how RTE would cope if the WC and RWC ran in parallel and only on weekends

Armagh18

Just buy the dodgy stick lads. f**k the greedy bastards and their GAA GO.

AustinPowers

Quote from: bennydorano on May 08, 2023, 04:32:00 PM
The Gaa will reap what they sow with GAAGO, a clamour for money from the trough from the GPA. It will also do for the GAA what moving to Racing TV has done for horse racing in Ireland- absolutely f**k all.

I've bought 2 GAAGO matches so far and it really does bug me, especially as someone who went back to a Sky sub largely for the GAA.

Boxing was  the same. Loved the  big fights in the   late 80s/early 90s, Eubank Benn etc.  Some great bouts. Since  most matches went to sky , I have no idea  who  any fighters are (except maybe frampton),  and have  now no interest whatsoever in it.

Gaago will go the  same way. We need  kids looking up to gaa players and   Seeing  them as much as possible on tv. 

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 08, 2023, 05:18:28 PM
Just buy the dodgy stick lads. f**k the greedy bastards and their GAA GO.

Who exactly are the greedy bastards? The cameramen? The sound operators? The pundits?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

were people complaining about tyrone gaa having thier championship games behind a paywall