Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2023, 10:43:41 PM
Why should a team that were worse than the other team at penalties get the same seeding as them?

They should not get a significantly different seeding, one place less perhaps.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

square_ball

Apologies if already posted but is there an open draw for the 2nd v 3rd teams or has this already been predetermined?

twohands!!!

Quote from: square_ball on May 16, 2023, 08:52:36 AM
Apologies if already posted but is there an open draw for the 2nd v 3rd teams or has this already been predetermined?

Not been predetermined.

Teams who played each other in the provincial finals can't meet each other and if possible teams who have played each other in the group stages will be kept apart.

Would take absolutely freak results for a situation whereby teams who have played each other in the group stages would get drawn against each other.

There's no protection against drawing a team met before the provincial finals or group games.

So basically a draw where teams can draw anyone except teams they played in a provincial final (if they were in one) and most likely teams they played in the group stages.

Same rule applies for the quarter-finals as the preliminary quarter-finals.

Also for the semi-finals nothing is predetermined - the only rule about the draw is that there will be no repeat fixtures of any championship matchups if possible.

seafoid

Quote from: square_ball on May 16, 2023, 08:52:36 AM
Any questions about the championship can be answered here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

Blowitupref

Saturday May 27

Group One

Louth v Cork, Páirc Tailteann, TBC

Group Two

Armagh v Westmeath, BOX-IT Athletic Grounds, 4.45pm, GAAGO

Group Four

Derry v Monaghan, Celtic Park, 7pm, GAAGO

Sunday May 28

Group Three

Dublin v Roscommon, Croke Park, 4pm
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

CK_Redhand

When did Armagh's home ground get renamed to their playing style?

blanketattack

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 16, 2023, 02:06:19 PM

Are you talking about Box-it, athletic or ground or all 3?

CK_Redhand

Quote from: blanketattack on May 16, 2023, 04:23:07 PM

Box-it. My poor attempt at a joke sorry

seafoid

I think the decision to prioritise Dublin at the expense of Kildare and Meath (plus the others) is not only bad for the Leinster Championship. It also severely damages competition levels in the Sam Maguire. You can't take 2 big counties out and expect big crowds to turn up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/17/sean-moran-there-are-simply-too-many-teams-in-the-all-ireland-round-robin/

Last year the quarter-finals returned but the margins were still averaging more than 0-8 and that included the Galway-Armagh tie that went to penalties. Without it the other three averaged 0-11.
So the last eight contenders for Sam Maguire were producing matches that were generally uncompetitive. This year the big chance being taken is that the round-robin field is being doubled from eight to 16.
If there was an abiding anxiety about this within the GAA it was concerning dead rubbers – matches that would mean nothing in the greater scheme of things and on all known evidence discourage crowds from attending.

If the Sam Maguire is viewed as simply a prioritising competition the continued hard-wiring of the provincial championships into the All-Ireland makes little sense. If, however, the concept of getting a shot at the big time is still important the current system is an ingenious way of offering a glimpse of motivation to counties outside the top half of the league.
Where it takes them isn't immediately obvious and the suspicion remains that there are too many teams in the round-robin series.

tonto1888

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 16, 2023, 04:46:28 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on May 16, 2023, 04:23:07 PM

Box-it. My poor attempt at a joke sorry

I got it

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 12:44:53 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2023, 10:43:41 PM
Why should a team that were worse than the other team at penalties get the same seeding as them?

They should not get a significantly different seeding, one place less perhaps.
Derry are in a higher pot than Armagh by virtue of winning their provincial title. The league positions (Derry 8, Armagh 9) were only relevant if the teams did not reach their provincial finals.

J70

Don't ever recall such pessimism, fatalism and indifference about a Donegal game before. All the home pundits predicting a Clare win unless there is a dramatic change in what we've seen so far this year. O'Rourke didn't even hold a press night!

Langan, McBrearty and McHugh gone for the season. Mogan out this weekend. Gallen probably playing, but will he be match fit? McFadden Ferry won't be back from injury. St Eunans O'Donnells won't be available for these games either.

Beyond the 15 we do scrape together, it will be almost all young, inexperienced players on the bench.

This will be the weakest Donegal championship line up I can recall in my 35 years watching them.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on May 19, 2023, 12:13:03 AM
Don't ever recall such pessimism, fatalism and indifference about a Donegal game before. All the home pundits predicting a Clare win unless there is a dramatic change in what we've seen so far this year. O'Rourke didn't even hold a press night!

Langan, McBrearty and McHugh gone for the season. Mogan out this weekend. Gallen probably playing, but will he be match fit? McFadden Ferry won't be back from injury. St Eunans O'Donnells won't be available for these games either.

Beyond the 15 we do scrape together, it will be almost all young, inexperienced players on the bench.

This will be the weakest Donegal championship line up I can recall in my 35 years watching them.
The standard in the round robins isn't that high. Donegal could scrape through to the quarter finals with a bit of momentum.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2023, 09:06:00 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 19, 2023, 12:13:03 AM

The standard in the round robins isn't that high. Donegal could scrape through to the quarter finals with a bit of momentum.
Doubtful.

Hope these lads acquit themselves well, but its asking a lot for the line up and squad below to do anything in championship. You'd expect to see that in McKenna Cup!

seafoid

Clare were relegated from D2. D2 is for teams that are either disorganised or just getting going or just visiting.
Donegal are coming from a faster, more organised place.