Vegetable roll

Started by john mcgill, June 11, 2007, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Have to say the veggie roll gives me awful heart burn but I still buy the Keady loaf at taylors in armagh (accross from St Malachys Chapel), lovely with a bowl of soup.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

rrhf

the same institution now brings us the "deadly burger" i kid you not.  Elvis could only handle one a week of these babies.

An Fear Rua

Nice on, I'll be home in a couple of weeks, and will sample said delight. I'll bet they are still using the same crockery they had in the 70's!
Its Grim up North

Great Leap Forward

Boys, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw a thread on the old vegetable roll. I have a wild charge of drink over the weekend and the only thing that got me out of bed yesterday afternoon was the thought of a plate of the good stuff.

I have to admit to using the George Foreman to cook it as there in inordinate amount of grease in the stuff.

I have never tried the Dungannon 'Mate Roll' despite my frequent visits to the fast food houses up there. I would be a fan of the Dolphin's beef cutlets though.

Abble

whenever i do my shop its sometimes a 50/50 between the sausages and the vegetable rolls.....as I hear there's all sorts goes in to making a sausage i'll opt mostly for the vegetable rolls...ok, the vegetable rolls are no healthier but for taste there's nothing like them...lovely in a slice of thick white pan with a right spread of real butter, bit of brown too.

rrhf

Just had a mate roll  there.  frig it was nice. 

stiffler

theres a butchers in dromore co.down, Quails, if anyone is ever in the vicinity try the chicken and broccoli bake or the chicken pie. Unreal.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: rrhf on June 12, 2007, 01:55:00 PM
Just had a mate roll  there.  frig it was nice. 

Who does these mate rolls you talk about? Is it the chippy up beside McAleers?

An Fear Rua

Quote from: stiffler on June 12, 2007, 01:57:23 PM
theres a butchers in dromore co.down, Quails, if anyone is ever in the vicinity try the chicken and broccoli bake or the chicken pie. Unreal.

how the f**k are you gonna hospitalise yourself and get on the sick eating health shite like that?? ;-)

Meat rolls or "Mate Rolls" as they are know locally can be found (Correct me if im wrong as I dont live in FUNgannon anymore)

In
1) what used to be the Dolphin, next to Oneills shop and McALeers
2) The New Dolphin which is down on the road liniking Scotch Street and William Street, opposite where old court house was
3) The chippy on William Street, next to where Macs Bakery was, opposite Brendan Begleys.
Its Grim up North

john mcgill

When I started this thread I thought that it might have an All Ireland appeal but it currently seems that its just us "far downers" that have local delicacies. 

An Fear Rua

Not quite a delicay, but I have fond Memories of Cafolas in Westport and Castlebar, it was always fresh and piping hot, and it was the only time i ever saw my granny eat chips.

Of course it always had to be washed down with an "Ice Cream Soda" - basically a big lump of vanilla Ice cream healed into a glass of coke.

Other include

Macaris Ice cream in armagh, with the associated toppings
Timmoneys in Newry, no stickers, no gimmick, just an old bloke in a white coat , scooping heaven from a cold metal drum.

dont forget

Paris buns

Its Grim up North

john mcgill

An Fear Rua you are a man with taste. I married a woman from a far away parish and wooed her with the promises of Paris buns when we returned to Armagh.  I had been brought up with them from the bread van.  She, unfortunately, couldn't see the attraction.  Makes me wonder

5 Sams

Paris Buns....mmmmmm....we were spoilt cos my da was a breadman and there an endless supply of Paris buns (cut in half with a good lash of real butter), Nutty Krust and slims in our house.
The Aristocrat Years

armagh leg-end

QuoteMacaris Ice cream in armagh, with the associated toppings

lovely
Ard Mhacha Abu

An Fear Rua

Another thing I miss is that fruit loaf, Veda? or was there another one with a purple wrapper?

Oh can I must also add the fantastic decision to relaunch Wibbly Wobbly Wonders, Loop the loops , freaky feet, Icebergs etc last  BUT does anyone remember the Dracula Ice lollys? Dark ice covered vanilla ice cream with a blood red streak through the middle of it?
Its Grim up North