Orange Order to boot out paedophiles

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 11, 2007, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

From the BBC website:

Sex offenders' membership of the Orange Order will be automatically terminated under a new policy.

"The last time we updated our internal discipline procedures there was no such thing as the Sex Offenders' Register," said Grand Secretary Drew Nelson.

"Our new policy with regards to sex offenders should be in place within a year."

It will mean that anyone on the Sex Offenders' Register will effectively bar themselves from membership.

Mr Nelson said: "I don't think this will be a bigger issue for the Orange Order than anyone else, but it's definitely something that has to be addressed and it's one of a number of issues we're currently working on."

In the past the organisation which has come in for criticism over members who were convicted of terrorism-related offences remaining within its ranks.

Addressing this issue, Mr Nelson said: "Our discipline review will look at members with any kind of serious conviction."

Looking forward to the summer, which sees the highlight of the Orange calendar, 12 July, Mr Nelson said: "It should hopefully be peaceful and successful.

"I think those opposed to our parades on principle, if you like, are becoming increasingly isolated."

The origins of the Orange Order date from the 17th century battle for supremacy between Protestantism and Catholicism.

Prince William of Orange, originally of the Netherlands, led the fight against Catholic King James.

He eventually took the throne in England and his final victory over James at the Battle of the Boyne in Ireland in 1690, sealed the religion's supremacy in the British Isles.

Presumably, paedophiles will now (well in a year or so) join the ranks of Roman Catholics (sic) as being barred from the Loyal Orders.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 11, 2007, 02:58:59 PM
Presumably, paedophiles will now (well in a year or so) join the ranks of Roman Catholics (sic) as being barred from the Loyal Orders.

But not sectarian murderers...

Tonto

Quote from: Donagh on June 11, 2007, 03:12:51 PM

I hear they are now allowed to join Sinn Fein as well....

Donagh

Quote from: Tonto on June 11, 2007, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: Donagh on June 11, 2007, 03:12:51 PM

I hear they are now allowed to join Sinn Fein as well....

I'm sure the Grand Wizard of the Starry Anus would thank for that comeback Tonto.  ::)

Fishead_Sam

At last the Orange Order are directing their hate at someone who actually deserves it.

stew

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 11, 2007, 03:31:58 PM
At last the Orange Order are directing their hate at someone who actually deservses it.

It only took the hewers a few hundred years. :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GweylTah

The Catholic Church is considering the future of a priest jailed for five years for helping a known paedophile groom a 12-year-old girl for sex.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6760935.stm

What's to "consider"?   ???    Get rid!

>:(

pintsofguinness

::)

If you read the article gweyltah you would see...
QuoteHe was sentenced last week. On Saturday, the bishop of Clogher said the priest's order woud decide his future when the judicial process ended.
I'd say that's probably fair enough. 

That case is strange though, how can two men have that type of access to a young girl.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GweylTah

The judicial process IS over - unless he or the church is going to appeal the verdict or sentence. Or do they regard the judicial process as including the sentence itself, maybe they'll reprimand him when he's released?

Churches and other religious bodies seem a bit  too fond of behaving like secret societies when their people are involved in things like this, as if they are somehow above the law. It's a disturbing trait.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe judicial process IS over - unless he or the church is going to appeal the verdict or sentence. Or do they regard the judicial process as including the sentence itself, maybe they'll reprimand him when he's released?
Why would the church appeal it?

I'd normally be the last person to defend the church but I don't see what they are doing wrong.  I'd imagine it's a matter of time before he's kicked out but I'd also imagine that, llike with any body or association, there is a process. 

What is your problem here, blind bigotry I think. 

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 17, 2007, 01:07:18 PM
Quote from: GweylTah on June 17, 2007, 12:59:42 PM
Churches and other religious bodies seem a bit  too fond of behaving like secret societies when their people are involved in things like this, as if they are somehow above the law. It's a disturbing trait.

I have to agree with Gweyltah. He has been convicted, he should have been sacked, defrocked, thrown out, whatever you want to call it.
In the same way that the Police Sergent, who was the face of the anti-drink drive campaign should have been sacked when she was caught drinking and driving.
But he hasn't not been thrown out 5ive Times!

stew

If he hasnt been convicted then the church has done nothing wrong, if he has and they are still deciding they have learned nothing from the recent past, anyone who hid these disgusting animals away after ruining the lives of the young in this manner are as guilty as the tramps that raped the young boys and girls.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.