Sinn Fein - Finished in the Republic

Started by Pietas, June 11, 2007, 11:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

As a voter in Dun Laoghaire I must admit I didn't see one leaflet or appearance by the elusive Eoin O'Broin or his, eh, machine.

He had the odd poster in view but where the feck did he canvas unless he stuck to the Ballybrack/Sallynoggin/rough end of Dun Laoghaire area.

So are SF always goin to rely on the John Player Blue/Irish Daily Star faction for votes in ROI? If so then they will soon become very very marginalised - up there with Tomás MacGiolla and Ruairaidh (spell) O'Bradaigh.

deiseach

Quote from: Donagh on June 11, 2007, 10:43:14 PM
They had one in Kildare South but he/she went AWOL.

Eh? What happened? It wasn't Owen Carron, was it?

Donagh

Shamrock Shore, as you are no doubt aware all the talk of the SF electoral "machine" is a myth, up there with personation, Armani suits, image consultants, unboundless wads of cash (presumably from bank robberies), leadership cults,  etc... all put out at various times by their opponents to explain away their advances. The SF candidates standing for the first time in the general election such as O'Broin or McCaughley in North Kildare are attempting to solidify their core support before making a serious challenge for the locals. As such I'd have expected them to have concentrated their canvassing around the wards they are eying up. The Cumman  in both constituencies have around a dozen members each so it's not surprising you getting get him at your door - pity though, he's a nice lad.

I never heard the full story deiseach, but apparently he decided after his name went forward that he wasn't standing afteral and got offside. Understandably there were a few pissed off Kildare peeps after that.

GweylTah

Any word on all the recent defections and resignations from SF people especially in parts of Dublin?

Donagh

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 11, 2007, 10:49:48 PM
As a voter in Dun Laoghaire I must admit I didn't see one leaflet or appearance by the elusive Eoin O'Broin or his, eh, machine.

He had the odd poster in view but where the feck did he canvas unless he stuck to the Ballybrack/Sallynoggin/rough end of Dun Laoghaire area.

So are SF always goin to rely on the John Player Blue/Irish Daily Star faction for votes in ROI? If so then they will soon become very very marginalised - up there with Tomás MacGiolla and Ruairaidh (spell) O'Bradaigh.
ahem - 'rough end of DL'? ? ?

sure its all gone rough as feck now (apart from the pavillion!)
:o :(

PadraicHenryPearse

i voted for sinn fein and that o'broin guy. i gave the only person to call to my door my 2nd pref. his daughter was abit of alright. i am glad he ran as it gave me the opportunity that i had not before of voting sinn fein.

it was a poor result for Sinn fein but not as bad as pd, labour and other independants. it does not mean they are finished. it also does not mean that the people of ireland don't want a united Ireland. that was not their reason for voting. it is obvious it is not a priority but it does not mean if the question was put to the irish people they would vote against. there is no link between the united ireland question and the election - it is a stupid conclusion made by half-wits.

Berite does seem to get a lot of credit for the getting the institutions back and running in N.Ireland but it is a stectch to think that his hand shake with Mr Ian made any differnece considering what he did over the last 10 years.

GweylTah

PHP, when you talk of "the people of Ireland", you seem to mean the people of the Republic of Ireland. Its interesting many people of the South see the Republic as Ireland and the North as another place altogther.

I don't doubt that most people in the South think a united Ireland would be nice, in the way a band new car or a bigger house or a Caribbean cruise would be nice, but it's not something they are that bothered about. As they see it, the whole thing is settled.

It is truly remarkable that an out-going Fianna Fail Taoiseach would feel confident enough to have British Prime Minister and a Protestant First Minister having the starring roles in his most important TV election broadcast, and see this as an enhancing character reference.  But, these days, it is and they are.

The relationship between the two islands and two Governments has moved on, SF have cashed their chips, are an irrelevance in the South and, who knows, having now tasted failure, the magic may just mean they have peaked in the North too.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GweylTah on June 12, 2007, 11:50:39 AM
I don't doubt that most people in the South think a united Ireland would be nice, in the way a band new car or a bigger house or a Caribbean cruise would be nice, but it's not something they are that bothered about. As they see it, the whole thing is settled.

I'd agree with some of that
however it seems that most folks like yourself are 'wishing' that this is true more so it actually being true.
Folks in the south dont really think much about unification (as as there is more parity in the north, I am sure a lot of northern catholics/nationalists even republicans dont think too much about it either these days).
BUT
folks down south will welcome the unification, as long as it doesnt upset the economy. People will happily re-unify and this will come about eventually.
I am sure sf are working away on their future plans ,as when unification does come about (as we all know it will do so- certainly Britain wants rid of the North) they will have a larger share of the vote.
The unionist parties will also have a sizable vote and things will be very interesting in politics then!

Sorry for the bad news, but far from settled, folks here think that re-unification is that little thing that is being put off until a later date and know in the back of their minds that it has to be done - sometime soon!

magickingdom

It is truly remarkable that an out-going Fianna Fail Taoiseach would feel confident enough to have British Prime Minister and a Protestant First Minister having the starring roles in his most important TV election broadcast, and see this as an enhancing character reference.  But, these days, it is and they are.

why do you find this remarkable? and why do you say protestant first minister?

PadraicHenryPearse

GweylTah - yes when i said the people of ireland i meant the Reoublic of ireland but everyone i know down here calls it ireland and N. ireland is refered to as the "the North" or northern bastards etc. nobody has much time for anyone in the north in ireland at the moment.

Quote"I don't doubt that most people in the South think a united Ireland would be nice, in the way a band new car or a bigger house or a Caribbean cruise would be nice, but it's not something they are that bothered about
"

agreed but they would like that car and cruise you mention as they would like a united ireland if it were offered to them.

QuoteAs they see it, the whole thing is settled.

not so much settled as they don't care about it as you said above "they aren't bothered". settled to me means they are happy and hope it stays that way, if they cared this would be true but irish (southern) people don't really care. nothing is settled.

"SF have cashed their chips, are an irrelevance in the South"

irrelvent maybe because no party would talk to them but they have a little under 7% support and there is no predicting how they will perform when the next election  happens, and what posistion they will be in then. i don't think we have seen the last of Sinn fein in the ROI and it is stupid to write them off after this election.

GweylTah

Quote from: magickingdom on June 12, 2007, 12:41:53 PM

why do you find this remarkable? and why do you say protestant first minister?

Is it not remarkable?

I said 'Protestant' speciafically because it was Paisley, the Free P moderator.

magickingdom

Quote from: GweylTah on June 12, 2007, 12:45:39 PM

Is it not remarkable?

I said 'Protestant' speciafically because it was Paisley, the Free P moderator.

not in the least bit remarkable. the position is first minister not protestant first minister. any particular reason why you didnt include the british prime ministers religion...

GweylTah

Perhaps because he isn't also the moderator of his own Church.

It's not that difficult to see the differerence, any harder questions?

magickingdom

Quote from: GweylTah on June 12, 2007, 12:54:10 PM
Perhaps because he isn't also the moderator of his own Church.

It's not that difficult to see the differerence, any harder questions?

thats a cop-out, he wasnt in the role of moderator of his own church. i would have had no problem if you had said unionist first minister by the way as that would be some way relevant. most people dont give a flying fcuk about someone religion but dont include yourself in that group...