Tipp-Limerick

Started by thejuice, June 10, 2007, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Onlooker on June 25, 2007, 05:32:59 PM
I saw Tipperary quoted at 16/1 to win the All Ireland in a local bookmaker's office to-day.   Has there ever been a time in the whole history of the G.A.A., where such a price would offered on Tipp.   It suggests that Tipperary's Senior Hurling Team are at an all time low.  One can only wonder what has gone wrong here in Tipp over the last 5 or 6 years, or indeed over the last 35 years (just 3 All Ireland titles).  No one seems to have the answer.

I imagine the years 1975 - 1982 inclusive, when Tipperary won precisely zero senior championship matches, might be viewed as an era when Tipp hurling was lower.

didlyi

Suggesting that times are bad in tipp means ye have little regard for Limerick either who took 4 hours to beat them by a puck of a ball. Limerick are no bad team and will be a handfull for anyone and I wouldnt bet against them winning munster. That said,Tipp will need to be carefull next weekend as I feel offaly are another up and coming side.

INDIANA

never suggested limerick were a bad side - because they aren't. But i think they'll find it tough against Waterford. Waterford can match them physically and are a better hurling team. But they are a better hurling team than everyone else bar maybe kilkenny.The limerick defence will find it tough- it'l be tight enough but i'd fancy waterford by 5.
unless tipp get a soft draw i can't see them progressing beyond the last 8. offaly will fancy their chances - but so will dublin.people will laugh but if you stop eoin kelly and match the likes of eamonn corcoran both will have a chance- the fatigue factor will be huge on tipp- it's  a punsihing schedule.

Onlooker

I think that the "banana skin" for Tipp in the qualifiers could well be Dublin in Parnell Park on Saturday week.   The long awaited Dublin Hurling revival just might be on the way.

AZOffaly

Do Tipp now have to play 6 weeks on the trot? the last 3 followed by the 3 qualifiers? That's tough going.

the ship

dont you boys be worrying about tipp we will beat offaly and dublin and set ourselves up for big game versus cork for top spot, and who knows then maybe an quarter final against limerick again and by then hopefully we will have all our injured players back, our overweight players will have lost a few lbs. 

Aristotle Flynn

I couldn't unsderstand why the ref re-started the match on Sunday with Reale still on a strecher being treated. He's issued a statement apologising for getting it wrong.

Hoganstand

Reale to return for Munster final
26 June 2007

Limerick are confident that Damien Reale will be fit for next month's Munster SHC final against Waterford, despite the team captain being knocked unconscious during last Sunday's victory over Tipperary.

The Hospital/Herbertstown clubman was stretchered off after only 10 minutes following an accidental clash with Tipp opponent Darragh Egan. He was brought to Limerick's Regional Hospital where he was detained on Sunday night before being discharged on Monday morning. And Limerick fans will be delighted to hear that he was fit enough to link up with his team-mates for a pool session on Monday night.

Limerick boss Richie Bennis said: "Damien's okay but he was out for five minutes. He was kept in overnight at Limerick Regional Hospital as a precaution and let out in the morning.

"He didn't swallow his tongue but we believe that the helmet was pulled over his head and may have smothered him a bit."

Amazingly, referee Sean McMahon allowed the play to resume while Reale was being lifted onto the stretcher. However, the Clare official admitted through National Referees Association spokesman Fr Seamus Gardiner that he was wrong to do so.

Fr Gardiner said: "What he said was when he stood beside Damien as he was being treated, Damien was on the stretcher and Sean thought he was being moved immediately.

"Sean left the scene but didn't look back, which he accepted he should have. The linesman restarted the game by throwing in the ball and Sean was hoping play would not go down that end but when it went near Damien, he blew up the play.

"The rule is play should be stopped, particularly for a serious injury, but Sean said he made a mistake, he held up his hands. He presumed Damien was on the stretcher and was being moved away."

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: the ship on June 25, 2007, 01:15:38 PM
indiana could you point out which of the tipp players are overweight, if anything i would have thought they need tp put on a few lbs

John Carroll and Daragh Egan. Both look like they could be fitter. I agree with your point about the rest though, they're definately in need of a feed or two, especially around midfield.

youbetterbelieveit

well lads, one thing i have to say in defence of my county, I believe Limerick will give Waterford more of a game than Tipp would be capable of, as pointed out in earlier posts, Limerick have a more physical approach and they are one team that can match the Waterford forwards , especially the likes of Dan Shanahan and Declan Pendergast.

It is the first time I have seen Limerick really hurl, guys like geary and foley becoming leaders and even shocks and the tobins, the moran standing up and been counted. Also it is the first year in a while that Limerick got a quiet run up to the championship, usually it is fighting among ourselves or something else, and been splashed on the back pages of the newspapers.

We will be quietly confidence against Waterford. underdogs and nothing too lose.

bottlethrower7

I'll save most of my powder til we get a Munster Final thread going in earnest, but I think Limerick are still a good ways behind Waterford. The Tipp lads won't thank me for saying it, but it looks to me like tiers are developing in Munster, and they and Limerick are firmly in tier 2, behind Waterford and Cork.

Tipp still have some fine players, but they are a poor, poor team. Limerick have poor players, but have a lot of heart. The game is Waterford's to lose, but I really can't for the life of me, see how thats going to happen, even if they do display the same tactical ineptitude they did at times against Cork.

homeofhurling5

Hows she cuttin chaps ?

A few quick thoughts on the trilogy from a Tipp perspective.

Larry,curly and mo on the sideline made some utterly bizarre decisions,Benny Dunne at centre forward anyone ?

The half forward line was again our achilles heel,quelle suprise,who could have envisaged us hankering after the days of Conor Gleeson and Brian O'Meara !!

Darragh Egan is a seriously frustrating hurler,6' 2" and 15 stone but no aggression,he has the ability but not the will.

Ryan O'Dwyer is no big Dec but he might yet do a job for us at 11,he is the opposite of Egan,he has the will but not the ability.

Seamus Butler has gone a long way towards proving his doubters,myself included,wrong,his equalising point at the death on Sunday was a beaut and took some balls,contrast that with his rabbit in the headlights routine in injury time against the Deise in 04,he has come a long way.

Lar Corbetts touch is shocking at the moment,im surprised Babs hasnt ate the head off of him over his one handed rise,how many times did he f**k it up on Sunday,God knows he is a trier though.

The barrel is coming to the end of the line,he still has a good half a game in him,no more(he was ill all last week and probably shouldnt have played on Sunday),he will never give less than 100% for the blue and gold,Biffos beware,a wounded bear is a dangerous bear ;)

Benny has been treated shabbily by the three wise men and has shipped as lot of undeserved abuse,im no fan of our captain but he has been slated for conceding 6 points from play to Ollie Moran the first day,the golden boy Corcoran conceded one less to Morans brother Sunday and he is hailed by all and sundry as having a great game,go figure !

Eoin Kelly should be on the 40',leave Corbett and Butler inside(with Kelly snr when fit) the pair of them carry enough of a goal threat,Kelly has had a hand in practically every score over the last three weeks on limited supply of ball,move him to where he can have even more of an influence and is less easily starved of supply,the time has come.

Shane McGrath is made of the right stuff.

Woodlock could be the new Tom Kenny,serious pace and athleticism,just needs to have the constant head down soloing trained out of him,lift the head Jimmy like a good chap.

The half-backline shipped a serious amount of scores over the last three weeks with the Morans and Mike Fitz going to town at various stages,we need to tighten up.

For fucks sake babs leave O'Mahoney at 6 and stop undermining his confidence,he will do just fine.

Fanning is some fireman to have,granted Begley and O'Connor are made for him but he shackled Shaughs too,he would be desperately unlucky to lose his place now but i wouldnt be in the least bit surprised to see him on the 40 at some stage over the next few weeks.

Buckley is another man made of the right stuff,he just needs to learn the dark arts of corner back play,holding without conceding frees,it will come with experience.

Fitzy should be further out the field,i suspect he will be on saturday with Curran returning.

Gerry Kennedy is about as cool a customer as there is.

The outlook isnt as bleak as some think.

AZOffaly

Great to have you back hoh, and the other lads as well. Failte ar ais.

Lecale2

Why is Home of hurling5 a guest? Has he been banned already? What's going on?

AZOffaly

He must have deleted his account by mistake surely? Jaysus you can't ban a lad for being from Tipp :D

Lecale2

Jesus now he has registered as Home of hurling 6! Fair play to him. You can't keep a good man down! You'd nearly think he was from Limerick.