Eamon Coleman

Started by Mourne Rover, June 07, 2007, 10:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

RIP

When he took over Longford in 1996 or so I went to a 'Fans Forum' in O'Donoghues in Merrion Row.

Eamon has us well fired by the end of the night - so much so I almost came out of retirement! He predicted bright times ahead for a talented young Longford team and blooded manys a fine player.

He time in Longford was not so great, results wise. A defeat to Wicklow and a thumping by Offaly was his championship return

A sound decent man that would have done anything for you and he will be missed by all that encountered him.

The GAA has lost a shining light.

Bogball XV

My sympathies to his family.
RIP Eamon, your perseverance, dedication and enthusiasm brought me some of the greatest days of my life - thanks for the memories.

Donagh

A great man in his own way. Condolences to all the family.

orangeman

Sorry to hear about the sad death of Eamon Coleman - the man was a real legend - the stories behind the man are legendary but the one I think I like best was just a few years ago when his team, Cavan won through to the Ulster semi final where they were going to meet I think the then All Ireland champions, Armagh - the commentator came over to him for a post match interview and congratulated him on the win and he was then asked what did he think of his chances against Armagh, to which he replied with a real devilish smile " You know I don't think we'll even turn up for it ! " - well a fortnight later his team DID turn up and proceeded to get stuck into Armagh as if Cavan were the champs - I'll never forget that cheeky smile that day... and he went away planning for Armagh -

May you rest in peace.

Caitlin

Really sad- A good laugh, a good brain ,a good footballer and a great manager.He will have Ambrose at full-forward.

magickingdom

just heard it on the news, very sad. i always liked the way he had about him, big loss to the gaa. my thoughts and prayers are with his family. RIP eamon

6th sam

Massive loss to the game.Having met  Eamon a number of years ago,the 2 things that struck me about him was his modesty,and his total committment to Derry football.
Thanks,Eamon for your massive contribution to the GAA.
May he rest in peace.
From a Down fan.

Onlooker

I always loved the comment he made to journalists after a Derry victory in 1993 in a game they were after being tipped to lose by those same journalists "Do youse boys know anything at all about football".   A great character.  Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

down22

R.I.P Eamon. One of the best characters in gaelic football. Will be greatly missed.

LaurelEye

Remember him from his very successful spell with the lower end of our parish and his unfortunately less successful spells with Longford and Cavan.

Always a decent man.

May he rest in peace.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Fear ón Srath Bán

RIP Eamon, one of the GAA's true characters has passed on.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

RIP.

one of the last breed of tell it like it is. I had the pleasure of playing under him, something i will never forget. Sympathies to gary and family.

Homer

RIP Eamon thanks for all the memories and your service to Gaelic Games.

J70

Very sad news. I hope Donegal and Tyrone honour him on Sunday.