trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 09, 2022, 10:51:17 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2022, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 09, 2022, 10:38:55 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 10:26:26 AM
I think he is 110% right. He is going to upset a club one way or the other and it's a no win situation. But if it was me I definitely wouldn't want to upset my own club and rock up to the club having put his home club out of the championship. It's not soccer ffs. He still plays a big role in the club and literally most of his team are either nephews or sons. I can't believe the amount of people that are against his decision. We don't know what the agreement is between Ballybay and him either. It was maybe discussed at the start of the year that he would step aside if they meet.  There is no way I could manage against my own club.

Edit! Just read the article that he made it clear that he wouldn't manage against Kilcoo. That is on Ballybay then. If they were worried about it then they shouldn't have given him the job. He should be commended for it.

Its not soccer? Assume you mean professional sport?

No I mean in the sense that you don't have the emotional attachment for a soccer club that you do for a gaelic club. Sure boys transfer around the local soccer clubs every year. As I said, it's on Ballybay, he made his feelings clear when he took the job, if they weren't happy with it then they shouldn't have given him the job.

Ah lad stop. I'm no soccer fan but let's not assume the GAA is holier than holy!

What do you mean?

Is JJ getting paid do you think?

Of course. But not for the next few weeks anyway! If Ballybay weren't happy they shouldn't have given the job!

Maybe. I think he comes across a f**king dose.

Truth hurts

Quote from: trailer on November 09, 2022, 11:36:49 AM
I think he is 110% right. He is going to upset a club one way or the other and it's a no win situation. But if it was me I definitely wouldn't want to upset my own club and rock up to the club having put his home club out of the championship. It's not soccer ffs. He still plays a big role in the club and literally most of his team are either nephews or sons. I can't believe the amount of people that are against his decision. We don't know what the agreement is between Ballybay and him either. It was maybe discussed at the start of the year that he would step aside if they meet.  There is no way I could manage against my own club.

Edit! Just read the article that he made it clear that he wouldn't manage against Kilcoo. That is on Ballybay then. If they were worried about it then they shouldn't have given him the job. He should be commended for it.

No I mean in the sense that you don't have the emotional attachment for a soccer club that you do for a gaelic club. Sure boys transfer around the local soccer clubs every year. As I said, it's on Ballybay, he made his feelings clear when he took the job, if they weren't happy with it then they shouldn't have given him the job.

Ah lad stop. I'm no soccer fan but let's not assume the GAA is holier than holy!

What do you mean?

Of course. But not for the next few weeks anyway! If Ballybay weren't happy they shouldn't have given the job!

Who is a dose?

tintin25

Quote from: themac_23 on November 09, 2022, 09:23:04 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 09, 2022, 08:59:57 AM
I think it is the biggest pile of virtue signalling shite. "Look how big a GAA man I am. Look I deep my love for Kilcoo goes."

I think it is an absolute pile of dung.

This X2

X3
If I was a Ballybay player I'd have zero respect for him

trailer

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 09, 2022, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 09, 2022, 11:36:49 AM

What do you mean?

Who is a dose?

Your man Johnston.

seafoid

Schkite

Quote from: toby47 on November 09, 2022, 09:01:08 AM
Ronan Mcguckin & Jerome Johnstone both played key roles in helping their clubs become the best club team in Ireland. Maybe their mindset, is an insight, into the thinking in both clubs. Maybe it should be commended? I don't see much wrong with it at all, especially as in both cases it had been agreed they wouldn't manage against their own club before they took roles with Ballybay/Errigal. Jerome will not be thought of any less around Ballybay. He helped win the club their first championship in 10 years and 2nd in 35 years, when he decides to move on from Ballybay, he will be remembered fondly, no doubt about it. Go to Errigal and speak to anyone about McGuckin, not a bad word spoken.

Did John McEntee not play a key role in helping Cross become the best club team in Ireland? And to a greater degree than Ballinderry or Kilcoo for that matter. And what did he do when a similar scenario arose for him? He put the head down and got on with the job he was brought in to do.

JimStynes

Quote from: Schkite on November 09, 2022, 01:15:05 PM
Ronan Mcguckin & Jerome Johnstone both played key roles in helping their clubs become the best club team in Ireland. Maybe their mindset, is an insight, into the thinking in both clubs. Maybe it should be commended? I don't see much wrong with it at all, especially as in both cases it had been agreed they wouldn't manage against their own club before they took roles with Ballybay/Errigal. Jerome will not be thought of any less around Ballybay. He helped win the club their first championship in 10 years and 2nd in 35 years, when he decides to move on from Ballybay, he will be remembered fondly, no doubt about it. Go to Errigal and speak to anyone about McGuckin, not a bad word spoken.

Did John McEntee not play a key role in helping Cross become the best club team in Ireland? And to a greater degree than Ballinderry or Kilcoo for that matter. And what did he do when a similar scenario arose for him? He put the head down and got on with the job he was brought in to do.

And that was John McEntee's choice. Not one I agree with but if he was confortable with that then fair enough and he shouldn't be vilified. If someone feels the opposite way then they shouldn't be vilified either. I personally couldn't ever manage against my own club.

square_ball

Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 01:25:53 PM

And that was John McEntee's choice. Not one I agree with but if he was confortable with that then fair enough and he shouldn't be vilified. If someone feels the opposite way then they shouldn't be vilified either. I personally couldn't ever manage against my own club.

If thats the case, and it must be with Jerome Johnson, then why take another job other than your own club? If you are such a big club man then you wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking on another club no matter who they are. I appreciate its a difficult situation for him but such is life. 

Eire90

how much bucks is  on i thought it was amatuer.

JimStynes

Quote from: square_ball on November 09, 2022, 01:32:04 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 09, 2022, 01:25:53 PM

If thats the case, and it must be with Jerome Johnson, then why take another job other than your own club? If you are such a big club man then you wouldn't even entertain the idea of taking on another club no matter who they are. I appreciate its a difficult situation for him but such is life.

I've no problem with a man taking another club outside his county or even in another division within the county. If he has aspirations to become a better manager or even get paid somewhere else then no problem. If he is happy enough to manage against his club in the unlikely even that they'll meet in Ulster then up to him but my own personal stance is that I would step away in this case. As I have said seveal times, Johnston made it clear he wouldn't manage against his own club if they met and Ballybay were happy with this. They shouldn't have taken him on if this was going to cause a problem.

JimStynes

Quote from: Eire90 on November 09, 2022, 01:38:10 PM
how much bucks is  on i thought it was amatuer.

The horses have bolted with this a long time ago now. I would love to know the percentage of clubs who aren't paying a manager. I would say it's a very small percentage.

trailer

Andy Farrell is to Step aside from managing Ireland V England and his son Owen in next years Six Nations. Sounds absurd? Yeah? That's because it f**king is.

Eire90

are junior b clubs paying managers too

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on November 09, 2022, 01:51:24 PM
Andy Farrell is to Step aside from managing Ireland V England and his son Owen in next years Six Nations. Sounds absurd? Yeah? That's because it f**king is.

Not comparable at all. GAA is completely different and unique, especially in rural areas like Kilcoo. Even county isn't the same situation. I couldn't give a shit someone managing against their own county. Club for me is completely different. Anyway, both clubs seem ok with his decision.