Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Rightly so.

Yeah interesting enough ideas there trailer.

it probably like people say isn't any worse but it needs stamped out. It's definitely a stick the GAA gets beat with is videos of these brawls.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2023, 10:24:16 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2023, 09:30:57 AM
Before they get paranoid and think the ref is against them!
In this case no 9 seems to be the only one after a row.

Even his own players were pushing him away.

His mentor wasn't though.

Trailer I don't know what happens then though. I know this has happened maybe twice in Belfast soccer leagues. I think in one case the league shuts down but then what do they do.

Actually one of these assaults was a firmed of mine from university. He was a goalkeeper in the local soccer leagues and there was a bit of jostling with a fella in the box after he caught a ball. The lad threw a few punches. That was that. Lad who did it was convicted of manslaughter. It could happen in any game at any time. This is 23 years ago.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/KILLER+FOOTBALLER%2C+19+AVOIDS+PRISON+TERM%3B+He+punched+rival+goalkeeper.-a097683798

imtommygunn

Remember that and one other one - very sad  :(

Ethan Tremblay

I always thought that the like of Gaelic is more predisposed to fighting because generally, you have 15 people with direct opponents, constantly jostling, pushing, mouthing at each other for a solid hour. 

The tackle probably makes this worse, as its far to easy to put a hand in where it doesn't belong, close fist tackle etc and as games wear on, these things get slowly worse/sloppier. 

I'm sure anyone here playing has been involved in pushing and shoving matches at some point, and its not hard to imagine how easy things can escalate on from there if you let them. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on May 09, 2023, 10:42:22 AM
I'm not sure any of you lads coach or are involved with underage teams but if the referee puts in their report that a mentor or supporter lays a hand on an underage player it will be treated as assault.

If that much is true then I'd expect the respective authority to be informed, i.e. peelers.

"Following a directive from the GAA National Children's Safeguarding Office last year all incidents where a mentor or supporter grabs an opposing team player will be treated as an assault and will be reported to the National Children's Officer"

What would then trying to seperate them or physically trying to break up a fight?

Would that be construde as an assault?

RedHand88

Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2023, 04:15:44 PM
I'm not sure any of you lads coach or are involved with underage teams but if the referee puts in their report that a mentor or supporter lays a hand on an underage player it will be treated as assault.

If that much is true then I'd expect the respective authority to be informed, i.e. peelers.

"Following a directive from the GAA National Children's Safeguarding Office last year all incidents where a mentor or supporter grabs an opposing team player will be treated as an assault and will be reported to the National Children's Officer"

What would then trying to seperate them or physically trying to break up a fight?

I wouldn't take the chance

Armagh18

You'd imagine common sense would prevail ffs.

imtommygunn

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2023, 04:18:45 PM

You have to at times. In the instance of this video that kid could have taken an awful beating. The mentor had to step in.

LeoMc

One man's "rushing into separate them" could be seen as the 3rd man in and an escalation.

Wildweasel74

Lad trying to hammer someone half this size, think up my direction that game never been finished. Should get 2yrs on the kick alone, then looking to box the other manager knowing he be bollixed if he got a clip from him. As for the father with the hurl, some man to be over any team. I throw the book at them.

imtommygunn

Quote from: LeoMc on May 09, 2023, 04:42:06 PM
One man's "rushing into separate them" could be seen as the 3rd man in and an escalation.

Kids though. First priority should be to protect them.

That mentor should be looking at a few years ban - tbh he shouldn't be allowed near a team again -  and so should the number 9.

clonadmad

That same club and possibly that same team were involved in a serious incident at a tournament further up the country last summer

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2023, 04:28:31 PM

You have to at times. In the instance of this video that kid could have taken an awful beating. The mentor had to step in.

I know. It's a tricky one. You could be calming the situation down but another coach could say you were pushing/assualting an opposition player and the whole thing could kick off.

Would take very little to light the fuse.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2023, 06:12:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2023, 04:28:31 PM

I know. It's a tricky one. You could be calming the situation down but another coach could say you were pushing/assualting an opposition player and the whole thing could kick off.

Would take very little to light the fuse.
Think you have to make sure that your player is safe first and foremost if it looks like he might take a beating. If an opposition mentor wants to make an issue out of it then worry about that if it comes to it, but child's safety has to come first.

As you say, can very easily escalate.

J70

Quote from: whitey on May 08, 2023, 10:37:48 PM
There was a scuffle at an underage match in Mayo last year where a player was assaulted by a mentor of the opposing team

The team of the assaulted player were fined for recording an underage game without pre approval from the County Board

Get the f*** out of here?? ;D