Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Kerry finished the game playing like Galway started and Galway finished the game playing like Kerry started , subs for Kerry the difference, neither forward line looked very dangerous except for big 2
Galway badly needed some subs in defense near the end .
Good game of football.

yellowcard

Quote from: Gmac on July 25, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Kerry finished the game playing like Galway started and Galway finished the game playing like Kerry started , subs for Kerry the difference, neither forward line looked very dangerous except for big 2
Good game of football.

I noticed in some of the earlier matches that Galway didn't use many players off the bench, maybe they simply don't have the squad depth yet. Conroy was very poor by his own standards yesterday but I was still surprised to see him coming off for the last 10 minutes or so. If they can add 2 or 3 new players during the League they will still be a threat again next year.

imtommygunn

I think he wrecked himself in that O'Brien block. Galway hit a period where they gave away, more unforced tbh, several balls in a row when Kerry were getting towards dominance. Conroy gave away a few of those. I think he was either wrecked or injured.

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 25, 2022, 12:00:23 PM
I think he wrecked himself in that O'Brien block. Galway hit a period where they gave away, more unforced tbh, several balls in a row when Kerry were getting towards dominance. Conroy gave away a few of those. I think he was either wrecked or injured.

Could have been an injury alright, he definitely hadn't the same influence that he usually does and he's one of those players I don't think you'd be bringing off no matter his performance level. You could see that as the game became stretched in the final minutes that Galway were being countered fast by Kerry and they couldn't get their defensive system back in place. Kerry at that stage looked like they would have stretched their lead further if the game had gone on longer.

Looking back at it, I think Tallys influence was huge on that Kerry defensive system. It was that system and the brilliance of Clifford that basically won them this All Ireland. It will be interesting to see whether he stays on with Kerry now as you would imagine they will be the team to beat for the next few years anyway.     

Applesisapples

This game reminded me of the hurling final in so far as Galway tried hard and put it up to Kerry, but ultimately in the home stretch Kerry had the quality to pull away. Sean Hurson to be fair had a great game and Joyce bleating over the free in needs to look at his man holding the arm, too many refs let that go.

blanketattack

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 25, 2022, 01:03:19 PM
This game reminded me of the hurling final in so far as Galway tried hard and put it up to Kerry, but ultimately in the home stretch Kerry had the quality to pull away. Sean Hurson to be fair had a great game and Joyce bleating over the free in needs to look at his man holding the arm, too many refs let that go.

Galway player did two hops before their 11th point. Throw in the White shoulder, the two black cards their goalie should have gotten, some soft frees Galway got in the first half and I don't think Joyce can have much complaints.
Ref did well imo.
The two hops is the only decision that you could say for 100% sure he got wrong.

rrhf

Congratulations to Kerry, deserving All Ireland Champions this year, only lost one game, that to Tyrone in the league, all year. The second best team in Ireland in 2022 was Galway and they brought the fight that I felt they needed to, and made a superb game of it and had they been able to create a goal chance or two and take it they would have won. Feel that in similar shoot outs as yesterday was, very few teams will get the better of the kingdom over the next few years.  Walshe the best player on the field closely followed by Clifford. Mc Daid was immense as well. Galway keeper struggled a little at times but the standard was so high that mistakes were punished by quality footballers on both sides.  Referee was superb throughout and got all the big calls right as much as that last free in felt hard, he was technically correct.  I don't know if there was a comparative incident earlier to call it out as inconsistent - that can be the only argument.   
Galway can work on improving their bench and their goal scoring and they will be there or thereabouts for a few years now. Next year you will have Galway, the Dubs, Armagh, Derry, Mayo and hopefully a refreshed Tyrone all looking to take the kingpins down, but for the moment Kerry can enjoy their well deserved success.   

galwayman

Quote from: blanketattack on July 25, 2022, 01:56:42 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 25, 2022, 01:03:19 PM

Galway player did two hops before their 11th point. Throw in the White shoulder, the two black cards their goalie should have gotten, some soft frees Galway got in the first half and I don't think Joyce can have much complaints.
Ref did well imo.
The two hops is the only decision that you could say for 100% sure he got wrong.
Ref wasn't the reason we lost for sure. It's the timing of that decision I imagine that's the reason for all the talk about it. We were juiced in the last 10 mins and started making terrible decisions.
We need more impact off our bench - Cooke, Varley, Michael Daly, Tom Flynn would all have been massive guys to be able to bring on in the last 20 mins. What we had to come on was weak enough.
Paul Kelly's fall from grace baffles me as he was very solid in the league & has barely seen any game time in the summer.

rrhf

To lose a game by a short head is nearly tougher than getting whacked. Kerry have had their fair few of those over the last few years as have Tyrone last Year. Just part of the journey to a Galway Sam... 

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2022, 11:55:42 AM
Good game of football.

I noticed in some of the earlier matches that Galway didn't use many players off the bench, maybe they simply don't have the squad depth yet. Conroy was very poor by his own standards yesterday but I was still surprised to see him coming off for the last 10 minutes or so. If they can add 2 or 3 new players during the League they will still be a threat again next year.
Squad depth is the biggest issue for Galway I think. They need better subs.
I was looking at Tyrone and Kerry who both won after losing an all Ireland

Tyrone lost in 2018. Of that starting team , 8 started the 2021 final with 5 new players and 2 subs from 2018. There were 3 experienced players from 2018 as subs.
Kerry lost in 2019. Of that starting team, 12 started yesterday with 3 new players and 3 experienced players from 2019 as subs.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 02:23:59 PM
Good game of football.

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2022, 08:35:45 PM
if Galway are still in it at 60 mins anything is possible. I think we have better subs

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2022, 02:23:59 PM
Good game of football.

I was looking at Tyrone and Kerry who both won after losing an all Ireland

Tyrone lost in 2018. Of that starting team , 8 started the 2021 final with 5 new players and 2 subs from 2018. There were 3 experienced players from 2018 as subs.
Kerry lost in 2019. Of that starting team, 12 started yesterday with 3 new players and 3 experienced players from 2019 as subs.
You said before the game that we had the better bench. Serious question - do you actually go and watch Galway games or club football games in the county? I've no idea in the world how you could make that statement looking at our bench vs Kerry's.
There was no comparison.

Cyril Farrell fan

Galway put in a great effort but from about the 45th minute Kerry looked the winners.
Galway also let Armagh back in it and maybe the fitness needs to be improved.