Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 09, 2022, 08:31:44 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2022, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 09, 2022, 08:22:54 PM
Don't want to hear anymore talk of Rory being some sort of genius manager. Took a game plan which failed 11 years ago and tried to do it again. Christ even mcguinness has had the sense to stay away knowing that limited safety first approach doesn't work anymore.

Ironically if Derry had of attacked the first half they could have been out of sight.

There is a reason he failed at 3 different teams.

With all that said you'd have thought there was no way possible his team would have destroyed the All Ireland Chanpions in their back yard... he obviously hasn't a clue!

Different dynamic, where we have never lost against Galway in the Championship, for example, and your lads have never won.
But Tyrone have been hammered by Mayo on several occasions

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2022, 09:09:37 PM
Don't want to hear anymore talk of Rory being some sort of genius manager. Took a game plan which failed 11 years ago and tried to do it again. Christ even mcguinness has had the sense to stay away knowing that limited safety first approach doesn't work anymore.

Ironically if Derry had of attacked the first half they could have been out of sight.

With all that said you'd have thought there was no way possible his team would have destroyed the All Ireland Chanpions in their back yard... he obviously hasn't a clue!

Different dynamic, where we have never lost against Galway in the Championship, for example, and your lads have never won.

2021 has erased that particular jibe from the Maigh Eo buachaillí, and no better way to eliminate that specific omission than in an AIF itself, however, I was only referencing Galway, not Mayo, so please stick to the subject.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 09, 2022, 09:11:51 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2022, 08:25:27 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 09, 2022, 08:19:30 PM
The hard part of a defeat after sticking to the system is when it's all over and you know you didn't even try to win.

Yeah but then you have to consider all the teams on the Derybside of the draw having a pop who had a chance and couldn't beat us or the teams we beat.

At the end of the day we got down to the last 4 teams in the country having been literally NOWHERE...

I have no doubt the system will evolve as will the players.

Doire abu!
Yip, no doubt about that. Ultimately the year was a great success. Derry over-achieved. They must be commended for that.
Just to end with such a whimper is frustrating because it didn't need to be like that.

Like my profile, Derry needed a plan B. But they have done better than many expected.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2022, 09:09:37 PM

Hammered?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sidelineball

Think Gallagher squeezed every ounce out of Derry, they trained something like 13/14 days coming up to quarter final. They were surprise package and done well tbf. However came up against a tyrone team playing in their flip flops and Donegal who are just flops. Can't see them maintain that level, similar to McGuimess' reign in Donegal.

JoG2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 09, 2022, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2022, 07:11:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 09, 2022, 07:09:34 PM
A bit embarrassing for Derry in the end. No plan B, no initiative when behind. Just the same turgid stuff on repeat til the end.

Took 20 mins to settle, but from that point Galway were very controlled. That's two good results in their last two games against two very different opponents. They'll be a handful in the final.

Yes we are embarrassed to get to our first AISF in almost 20 years 🤦🏼‍♂️

And when you got there you didn't throw a punch.

Wasted opportunity. How long will Derry have to wait to get another?

Embarrassing my hole. Christ there is some poop talked on here.

Well done RG and squad, have given us Derry folk some great days out this, year and an Anglo Celt. We've some fine underage players to come through. You look at the spine of that Derry team, they'll be back.

Best of luck to Galway in the final, some serious footballers in that side and physically very strong. Great supporters too.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on July 09, 2022, 09:25:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 09, 2022, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2022, 07:11:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 09, 2022, 07:09:34 PM
A bit embarrassing for Derry in the end. No plan B, no initiative when behind. Just the same turgid stuff on repeat til the end.

Took 20 mins to settle, but from that point Galway were very controlled. That's two good results in their last two games against two very different opponents. They'll be a handful in the final.

Yes we are embarrassed to get to our first AISF in almost 20 years 🤦🏼‍♂️

And when you got there you didn't throw a punch.

Wasted opportunity. How long will Derry have to wait to get another?

Embarrassing my hole. Christ there is some poop talked on here.

Well done RG and squad, have given us Derry folk some great days out this, year and an Anglo Celt. We've some fine underage players to come through. You look at the spine of that Derry team, they'll be back.

Best of luck to Galway in the final, some serious footballers in that side and physically very strong. Great supporters too.

Maith thú

Sportacus

Spade a spade, Gallagher coaches puke football and it only takes you so far these days.  Reminds me of Mickey Harte's last team. Ulster title is great, but bigger picture is that it was dire today.  Can only see Rogers getting an All Star, and he'd fully deserve it.

WT4E

Are Derry the first team to bring out a semi final song?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: WT4E on July 09, 2022, 10:49:42 PM
Are Derry the first team to bring out a semi final song?

Naw ireland brought wan out before Euro 88

Hoof Hearted

Listen lads
If someone had of said around Easter time, derry will beat the reigning all ireland champions, go on to beat Monaghan, then donegal in the final to become ulster champions for the first time in 24 years
Then get a handy draw to get a 1/4 final in croke Park and win easy, giving us a rare big day out in the capital
Then it's over after getting beat by a better team ( let's admit that), would you have taken it ?
Silly question I know
I said going down this morning this was bonus x3 territory

Great year, well done lads, and let's build on it

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

Don't accept that at all. Galway were in the same boat and grabbed it by both hands. You might never get back again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mario

Quote from: Sportacus on July 09, 2022, 09:51:39 PM
Spade a spade, Gallagher coaches puke football and it only takes you so far these days.  Reminds me of Mickey Harte's last team. Ulster title is great, but bigger picture is that it was dire today.  Can only see Rogers getting an All Star, and he'd fully deserve it.
Galways style is identical to Derry's probably even more defensive if you think how conservative they were for first 20min. They play with 14 or 15 behind the ball, they have done in every game this year. It wasnt a case of them adapting to match derry in a one off game, they'll play the same in the final. The difference was Comers first goal and a few soft frees after ht

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2022, 11:22:24 PM
Don't accept that at all. Galway were in the same boat and grabbed it by both hands. You might never get back again.

Yes I know where you're coming from, and I'm disappointed, we should have have went for it when we were 6 points down. May aswell lose by 60 as 6
But I'm talking about 3 months back, would we have taken this in the middle of July ?
Yes
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

If I'm being very honest , Galway had better spread of players, maybe an off day I'm not sure but Galway looked stronger all over, onwards and upwards