Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: befair on June 04, 2022, 06:03:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2022, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 04, 2022, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2022, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 04, 2022, 05:47:34 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2022, 05:42:37 PM
Every single major decision by the ref in that match went Mqyo's way.

But more importantly, every single one of them was correct.

Cassidy was superb. Actually understand the game.

——

On a side note, Monaghan deserve to go out. Any time they pressed Mayo, Mayo looked nervy. But no let's not do that again. Let's instead retreat inside the '45 and let the run the clock down for whatever the f**k reason nobody will ever be able to explain.

Idiotic from Monaghan. Leave the championship with a whimper.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. He overruled a 45 - was that correct (clue - it wasn't). Mayo got soft decision after soft decision. Monaghan didn't.  Its a penalty (not the foot block) but the other one definatly was

The overturned 45 wasn't a major decision.
I

I can't see the Keegan tackle a penalty from every angle. The forward took a bump and hit the ground. That's not a foul if it happens in reverse so can't be a penalty. Imho.
Mayo scored straight from the non 45 - that's why i highlighted it. That was one example. There were lots of others. The penalty. He wrapped him with both arms and let go. As McGuinness said its a foul anywhere else on the field. Then when the ball broke there was a clear push for a 13m free. He's a terrible ref - has been for a long time if indeed he was ever any good. Today he seemed to be on a mission and Mayo were on the right side of it.

I don't think Banty will be sending him a Christmas card this year anyway, there was an accumulation of bad decisions that all seemed to go against Monaghan.
McManus kicked two very scorable frees wide; can't blame the ref for that.
Even there. McManus got fouled taking a shot. Now hands up if i have this wrong but surely that's a free where the ball lands. Barry thinks differently though - he gives a free where the ball was kicked from and McManus misses. It was an accumulation of decisions like that throughout.

tyrone08

Didn't see the first half. Thought Jack mccarron was completely stupid to shoulder the mayo player after getting the free. Think there was about 10 mins to go with 3 between. Could have brought it to a 2 point game.

Thought monaghan should have been awarded a penalty. 2 hands around the Monaghan player. Ironically because he went down easily I think the ref thought he dived. Still a penalty. although if he tried to beat Lee he could have actually scored it himself.

Farrandeelin

A win is a win. Thought when Monaghan got it back to 2 early in the second half they might kick on. They didn't so onwards for Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

full moon

Monaghan play too negative for a team with top class forwards. How many times was McCarron wandering around his own full back line! McManus also was down the field at times.

Definitely quality there with Monaghan with some of the younger lads.  They don't attack in numbers, they don't pose enough of a threat going forward. 12 points is a pitiful return for one of the best forward lines in the country.

Cunny Funt

Marginal calls went Mayos way but the best team won. Mayo in the qualifiers normally have drama filled games which included a few win extra time wins, today in comparison was a comfortable win and even during the 21 minute period 2nd half without a score Mayo had Monaghan at arms length with their possession game.

For me that's Mayo into the last 8 again (can't see any of the provincial losers taking them out) after that who knows.

Sad to see a once great player/forward Conor McManus in that form, reminds me of a former great heavyweight boxer that came out of retirement to pay off his debts

bennydorano

Hard to know where a lot of teams are at at the minute, I thought that was a totally rubbish game with 2 teams who wouldn't trouble too many, but no doubt Mayo will come on for it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: full moon on June 04, 2022, 06:47:45 PM
Monaghan play too negative for a team with top class forwards. How many times was McCarron wandering around his own full back line! McManus also was down the field at times.

Definitely quality there with Monaghan with some of the younger lads.  They don't attack in numbers, they don't pose enough of a threat going forward. 12 points is a pitiful return for one of the best forward lines in the country.
Currently Monaghan don't even have one of the best forward lines in their province.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 04, 2022, 06:50:06 PM
Marginal calls went Mayos way but the best team won. Mayo in the qualifiers normally have drama filled games which included a few win extra time wins, today in comparison was a comfortable win and even during the 21 minute period 2nd half without a score Mayo had Monaghan at arms length with their possession game.

For me that's Mayo into the last 8 again (can't see any of the provincial losers taking them out) after that who knows.

Sad to see a once great player/forward Conor McManus in that form, reminds me of a former great heavyweight boxer that came out of retirement to pay off his debts

Conor is 35. Time stands still for no man. Incredible player on his day. Carried so many Monaghan teams down the years.  In a bigger county he'd be a super-sub or retired.

Halfquarter

Quote from: bennydorano on June 04, 2022, 06:52:03 PM
Hard to know where a lot of teams are at at the minute, I thought that was a totally rubbish game with 2 teams who wouldn't trouble too many, but no doubt Mayo will come on for it.

It's a qualifier for God's sake, what do you expect, how many qualifiers over the years have lit up the place ?

Dreadnought

Thought Mayo deserved the win. Barely. Monaghan not at the races overall, and McManus and a few others look done. No fan of Cassidy (after the Ulster 2020 final) but thought he got bulk of the big decisions correct. They were all marginal anyway, so I suppose either way he went could be construed as the right decision. Tough being a ref lads! Black card was a foot trip, but was this what it was brought in for? Was a foot block for me, so no issue there (was different from the one last week - know there's no distance in the rule, I'd think it's if there's risk of you blocking the kickers leg and injuring them). The penalty call near the end is just so hard to call. Probably a free out the field, but we know you need more than that to get a penalty, even if it shouldn't be the case. He went down so easy, that it made it look like he took a dive. That's the only think I can think of. Overall didn't see enough of a foul in it, but we've seen them given. Overall the ref wasn't the winning or losing of this game. Monaghan lost it, and Mayo won it. Both had their chances and they took what they got. Poor game overall

Eire90

Loughshore2022

I think Mayo will draw Derry in the QF unfortunately. Mayo are actually the 2nd county I support due to my great grandmother being from West Mayo.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 04, 2022, 09:57:56 PM
I think Mayo will draw Derry in the QF unfortunately. Mayo are actually the 2nd county I support due to my great grandmother being from West Mayo.

Would be happy with that draw too Olly, or any other one, if it's in Croke Park.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 04, 2022, 05:32:41 PM
The Monaghan whinging would make you sick

Ha, only reading back through this thread. There were three Monaghan women behind me, I never heard whinging like it. From the word go...any time any free was given against them. None of Mayo's frees nor penalty nor 45s should have counted because they were awarded by the ref. It was comedy gold. I wasn't sure if they were looking for a reaction to their musings but they kept whinging until the game was over.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 04, 2022, 11:10:49 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 04, 2022, 05:32:41 PM
The Monaghan whinging would make you sick

Ha, only reading back through this thread. There were three Monaghan women behind me, I never heard whinging like it. From the word go...any time any free was given against them. None of Mayo's frees nor penalty nor 45s should have counted because they were awarded by the ref. It was comedy gold. I wasn't sure if they were looking for a reaction to their musings but they kept whinging until the game was over.

Poor post from one who is normally better than that.
The total opposite of my experience in the athletic grounds.
I was surrounded by the most magnanimous Monaghan supporters, many of whom were females.