Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/feargal-logan-and-brian-dooher-bask-in-the-glow-of-all-ireland-success-1.4671709

The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening. 
"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can. Let's face it, we had the rub of the green at times and we needed it. Particularly the semi-final, when we used up a right bit of luck. And today, too, we used up a right bit of it. But the way we look at it is: don't wait until tomorrow. You know, do what you can today. And don't put off anything that you can do today. And them boys did that. You never know. You might never be back again in an All-Ireland final. And you have to grasp that opportunity." 

seafoid

Today doesn't matter. 50 years from now people will know what happened last year. There is only one winner every year.

ONeill

Watch the All Ireland Final or semi last year and then watch any game we played this year. Total chalk and cheese.

Was it lack of hunger? Something not right behind the scenes?

They brought us a lot of unexpected delight last year so wouldn't be hard on the players in the slightest.

Armagh were fine today but I think an elite team would have hockeyed Tyrone. Armagh as good as any team in that draw and should progress to the quarters.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

yellowcard

Quote from: grounded on June 05, 2022, 06:44:15 PM
Armagh looked the part. I thought as well as Campbell and rafferty,  that James Morgan was outstanding. Murnin is a handful as well and a great impact sub. They're definitely a whole lot better than I thought, with Tyrone being a whole lot worse.

Morgan was indeed excellent as he has been all season. I think the penny has finally dropped with his over exuberance and constant fouling he is having his best year in an Armagh jersey I'd say.

Ideally we avoid Donegal in the draw again and getting sucked back into that defensive stuff. I think Kildare or Roscommon would both be 50/50 games while we should account for Limerick.   

Loughshore2022

I am glad Armagh won but I wouldn't fear them if they reached the QF. The only team I fear is Mayo.

An Watcher

I think armagh have every chance of an all ireland appearance if they can avoid donegal tomorrow and then go into the derry/galway side of the draw.  I think the big prize would be beyond them though

illdecide

Not gonna lie but thought Tyrone would have had too much for us today...I was a bit shocked how poor they played and a bit shocked how well Armagh played. I said it on here two times in the last few weeks that KMcG has to play Campbell from the start and not this 25-30 min cameo role, he's too good to be on the bench and today proved it. I know he's a club mate of mine and sometimes you can be biased towards your own but not in this case...the lad when on his game is pure class. Most Armagh men played well and won their individual battles which gave them confidence as the game wore on. The draw will be tough no matter who Armagh get as History tells us we struggle to put back to back good performances together but just glad to be in the hat for tomorrow's draw.

As for Tyrone...Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it wasn't our year and when things don't fall for you no matter how hard you try you're always against the wind, Tyrone will be back stronger next year for sure so get behind your new Armagh buddies and cheer us on for as far as we can go (hopefully we can get at the Derry wans later in the Championship). Was nice to see the crowd acknowledge the Harte and McAreavey families for the vile and utter (actually there are no words to describe these people) bigotry and sectarian abuse they received a few days ago.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well done Armagh, no complaints, and very well deserved MOTM for Stefan Campbell, class act.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Throw ball

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 05, 2022, 05:51:17 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 05, 2022, 05:32:22 PM
McCurry scored 7 today. 4 were from frees. He missed a couple too. This Tyrone couldn't buy a free talk is just that. Talk

Tell the commentators that. They are the ones who said it

Maybe they meant the referee wasn't falling for their dives. ;)

redzone

The big difference in Armagh is they are making teams now  go down the wings were they do the fouling. Making sure they can funnell players back then. As a Dublin poster put it the ref hadn't the balls to send a few of double yellow. Everyone says it's poor tackling but it's far from it. Kermit took 7 steps for the goal

God14

Quote from: illdecide on June 05, 2022, 07:36:58 PM
Not gonna lie but thought Tyrone would have had too much for us today...I was a bit shocked how poor they played and a bit shocked how well Armagh played. I said it on here two times in the last few weeks that KMcG has to play Campbell from the start and not this 25-30 min cameo role, he's too good to be on the bench and today proved it. I know he's a club mate of mine and sometimes you can be biased towards your own but not in this case...the lad when on his game is pure class. Most Armagh men played well and won their individual battles which gave them confidence as the game wore on. The draw will be tough no matter who Armagh get as History tells us we struggle to put back to back good performances together but just glad to be in the hat for tomorrow's draw.

As for Tyrone...Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it wasn't our year and when things don't fall for you no matter how hard you try you're always against the wind, Tyrone will be back stronger next year for sure so get behind your new Armagh buddies and cheer us on for as far as we can go (hopefully we can get at the Derry wans later in the Championship). Was nice to see the crowd acknowledge the Harte and McAreavey families for the vile and utter (actually there are no words to describe these people) bigotry and sectarian abuse they received a few days ago.

Good summary, fair play lad

David McKeown

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 05, 2022, 07:09:53 PM
I am glad Armagh won but I wouldn't fear them if they reached the QF. The only team I fear is Mayo.

Would love to meet Mayo as that would mean Armagh had made it to at least an all Ireland semi final. Won't be many easy games to get there mind
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

inroundthesquare

Tyrone turned the ball over 19 times today. 18 times against Derry. Just not sustainable. Probably shows the work rate form Derry and Armagh overall was higher than us. There were several times today Armagh were streaking up the field with an overlap into a vacant Tyrone defence. Never happened once for Tyrone. The on pitch set-up of the teams seemed much better from McGeeney today.

Whishtup

Not too upset by this.  Last year the seed was resewn that Tyrone can beat all in front of them when it clicks. Quite frankly, that belief was nearly dead after 2018. We have u20 champs coming up, decent minors and a squad of ex champs egging the whole thing on.  The sense of entitlement that works in Dublin, Kerry's favour doesn't work for us and that's just the way it is so back to back's may only happen once in a generation, if ever.  In 2003, 2005, 2008, 2021, we were the best and there will be more to come. Why do I fancy Mayo this year?

square_ball

Not that it matters now but what was the Donnelly black card for? Sunday Game have it on twitter but of course it's geoblocked  ::)