Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Derry can't get Donegal.
Galway can't get Mayo or Roscommon.
Dublin can't get Kildare.
Kerry can't face the winners of Cork or Limerick.

Which means Armagh and Clare (if they come through) can be paired up with any? That's how I make it out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

It's a head scrambler trying to work out the permutations but quite why the GAA allow repeat fixtures at last 12 stage but not at quarter final stage makes no sense. I'd say both Armagh and Donegal followers both let out a collective groan at that draw. Familiarity breeds contempt and in Armaghs case we always struggle against that defensive running type team. We don't have a good record against them but we do have a renewed energy after yesterdays win.

I just hope that we play to our own strengths next time out and play more of a kicking game rather than change tactics and go down the same route of trying to beat Donegal at their own game. If that's not good enough then so be it.

yellowcard

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2022, 10:10:23 AM
Derry can't get Donegal.

Which means Armagh and Clare (if they come through) can be paired up with any? That's how I make it out.

But if Mayo and Roscommon both win as expected then Armagh have a 50% chance of facing Galway.

tiempo

One thing for sure, after Donegals showing in the Ulster Final, Michael Murphy will be spending at least some time in full forward, for the first time in years, that in itself will likely throw the cat among the pigeons, hoping for a really good game, venue is all important, I think Clones would favour Donegal, Croke would favour Armagh, it shouldn't matter but it can; the confidence of a win in Croke before an AI Quarter Final would make Armagh a tricky proposition for any provincial winner, I think they have the potential to go further in the competition than Donegal who are punch drunk at this stage

Farrandeelin

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 10:21:07 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2022, 10:10:23 AM
Derry can't get Donegal.

But if Mayo and Roscommon both win as expected then Armagh have a 50% chance of facing Galway.

Galway have a 50% chance of facing Armagh in that instance. Armagh haven't played any of the provincial winners so could be drawn against any of them if you get me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Armagh18

Quote from: snoopdog on June 06, 2022, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 06, 2022, 09:55:01 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 09:41:22 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 09:36:59 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2022, 09:32:42 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 09:27:02 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2022, 09:21:55 AM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 05, 2022, 08:29:37 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 01, 2022, 02:04:47 AM
I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

Derry v Roscommon*, unless Monaghan or Tyrone beat Roscommon

Galway v Donegal*, unless Mayo beat Donegal

Dublin v Limerick*, unless Meath beat Limerick

Kerry v Kildare*, unless Cork beat Kildare.

* = or the team that beats them

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

Or am I getting my explanation all wrong?

Edit 3 to reflect June 4 results: Monaghan and Meath out.
Edit 4: Tyrone out

So either Mayo beating Donegal or Cork beating Kildare will upset this theory.  Will see where the draw tomorrow morning leaves us.

How is that theory holding up now?
Soo.... If we beat Donegal we'll play Galway? Roll on this weekend!

If Gaaboardmod's info is correct yes.
But QF is an open draw? As far as I know Derry can face anyone that comes through these qualifiers apart from Donegal. Unless the mod is suggesting the draw is fixed?
But then Dublin can't play Kildare, Limerick/Cork can't play Kerry etc...

What I'm suggesting is that the preferred system for the quarter finals is the way it works for the minors every year, with the same provinces matched up each year.  So this year Ulster and Connacht are paired...Ulster champion v Connacht runner-up or the team that beats them and vice versa.  Same with Leinster and Munster.

Minor is diff though. Has the back door in the provincial. You can bet your house on Armagh v Derry should they get past Donegal.
I'm claiming an honorary ulster title if that happens and we beat Derry!

JoeSoap

Quote from: tiempo on June 06, 2022, 10:23:40 AM
One thing for sure, after Donegals showing in the Ulster Final, Michael Murphy will be spending at least some time in full forward, for the first time in years, that in itself will likely throw the cat among the pigeons, hoping for a really good game, venue is all important, I think Clones would favour Donegal, Croke would favour Armagh, it shouldn't matter but it can; the confidence of a win in Croke before an AI Quarter Final would make Armagh a tricky proposition for any provincial winner, I think they have the potential to go further in the competition than Donegal who are punch drunk at this stage

I agree we are probably punch drunk and I would not be surprised if the likes of Murphy, Langan, Eoghan Bán Gallagher are actually injured and will miss out. I'm very pessimistic about this one, I'd have preferred Mayo just to play outside of Ulster to be honest.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 10:16:24 AM
It's a head scrambler trying to work out the permutations but quite why the GAA allow repeat fixtures at last 12 stage but not at quarter final stage makes no sense. I'd say both Armagh and Donegal followers both let out a collective groan at that draw. Familiarity breeds contempt and in Armaghs case we always struggle against that defensive running type team. We don't have a good record against them but we do have a renewed energy after yesterdays win.

I just hope that we play to our own strengths next time out and play more of a kicking game rather than change tactics and go down the same route of trying to beat Donegal at their own game. If that's not good enough then so be it.

we have to beat them some time. May as well be the weekend

giveballaghback

The only pairings that can't be repeated are the provincial final pairings, ie Kerry can play cork but not limerick,
Galway can play Mayo but not Roscommon.

naka

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2022, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 10:16:24 AM

we have to beat them some time. May as well be the weekend
agree with this, we should be up for this game.
lets attack their kick out and go for it

oakleaflad

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 06, 2022, 11:22:04 AM
The only pairings that can't be repeated are the provincial final pairings, ie Kerry can play cork but not limerick,
Wording from an official GAA communication is as follows:

Note: Draw is Subject to Provincial Final Winners avoiding defeated finalists from their own Province in this round and to the avoidance of repeat pairings where possible.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2022, 11:31:37 AM

Note: Draw is Subject to Provincial Final Winners avoiding defeated finalists from their own Province in this round and to the avoidance of repeat pairings where possible.

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/2022-gaa-football-all-ireland-series-launched/

Its in there somewhere

yellowcard

Clear as mud. So can Kerry play Cork again and can Galway face Mayo again?

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 06, 2022, 11:42:14 AM

Clear as mud. So can Kerry play Cork again and can Galway face Mayo again?

Would the bit in bold not mean you cant meet teams you already played at any stage (where possible)?
So Kerry cant meet Cork etc

inroundthesquare

Kerry v Mayo/Kildare, Armagh/Donegal, Clare/Roscommon

Dublin v Mayo (if they win), Armagh/Donegal, Clare/Roscommon, Cork/Limerick

Galway v Kildare (itw) , Armagh/Donegal, Clare (itw), Cork/Limerick

Derry v Mayo/Kildare, Armagh (itw), Clare/Roscommon, Cork/Limerick