Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

Quote from: FermGael on May 09, 2022, 09:11:02 PM
Wonder who will be the first county to pull out ?

you think there will be a team that pulls out

full moon

Quote from: tintin25 on May 09, 2022, 09:19:06 PM
The Northern and Southern sections is just daft

Indeed total nonsense especially with New York and London in it and NY getting a bye to quarter final plus a preliminary round.

Guessing

North =  Down Fermanagh Antrim Cavan Leitrim Sligo Longford and NY/London

South = Carlow Wexford Waterford Wicklow Westmeath Laois Tipperary Offaly and NY/London

I'm assuming London/NY are kept in opposite sections and Westmeath go into South otherwise having Westmeath in North and other two in South would be absurd.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: befair on May 09, 2022, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: joemamas on May 09, 2022, 09:44:29 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on May 09, 2022, 09:05:41 PM
From the GAA Master Fixture List 2022, published Dec 2021, as regards the Tailteann Cup (look at second bullet point):

• The Championship shall be played on a knock-out basis.
• Round 1 and the Quarter Finals shall be organised on a geographical basis with Northern and Southern Sections.
• The Central Competitions Control Committee shall decide on an annual basis which Counties shall be included in each Section.
• The Draws shall be conducted by the Central Competitions Control Committee.
• A Preliminary Round may be played if there are more than 16 eligible teams.
• New York, will enter the competition at the Quarter-Final stage.
• All games will be winner on the day.

The biggest c**k up with this competition and there are many, is not playing it before the All-Ireland senior football final.
The tradition of playing the minor game (btw now U17) instead of it is daft.
As someone who typically went to watch the minor game, I now have decided that showing up at 1.15pm to watch a U17 game does not do it for me.
The place is half empty even well into the second half.
I'd understood the Tailteann final was to be the curtain-raiser; has this been changed? If so, an absurd decision.

Tailteann Cup final was always fixed a curtain raiser to one Sam Maguire semi-final on Saturday, July 9.

Eire90

so they are splitting it into a north and south section well that is not kind of good so there wont be the chance of fermanagh fans having a day out in  waterford is that the gaa thinking well its only a tailteaan cup fans wont want to travel far

full moon

https://twitter.com/clucker60/status/1523705104586911744

Have to agree with McCluskey. How on earth do New York get a bye skipping 2 rounds? Is the gaa president involved?
How can it be split regionally if qualifiers aren't? Why is it being split regionally not open draw?

There are tweets now suggesting Larry McCarthy the President from New York got them a bye through 2 rounds. I seriously hope not but since there is no transparency why it happened....?

full moon

I noticed some tweets under McCluskeys that from Eamon O"Hara, Seanie Johnston and Wooly Parkinson. Most them either involved or fairly close with teams in this Tailteann.

As O'Hara put it you can't market a bucket of shite lol

full moon

https://www.the42.ie/leitrim-andy-moran-tailteann-cup-5758428-May2022/

Andy Moran not happy at all with it.

Clear now Tom Ryan  and the other money grabbers in Croke Park just wanted to shove the smaller counties out of the way and into the wilderness after years of underfunding them. Its about time the suits in Croke Park started getting their act together and not hiding from their decisions.

thewobbler

Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2022, 12:58:30 AM
I noticed some tweets under McCluskeys that from Eamon O"Hara, Seanie Johnston and Wooly Parkinson. Most them either involved or fairly close with teams in this Tailteann.

As O'Hara put it you can't market a bucket of shite lol

A common theme on this thread is that the less likely your county is to be involved in the Tailteann, the more you land in favour of it. And vice versa.

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler link=topic=3076
That's pretty what I want myself. I'd like the leagues to be finishing up around now - mid May - and used to determine championship places. And as many players returned to their clubs as quickly as possible between now and the AI final end of July.

To what end? Who will benefit from players being back with their clubs as soon as possible? Is that going to inspire the kids of Down to choose Gaelic games as their sport of choice, to play and to support? A 5 month window with a league played in appalling conditions making the quality poor and spectating a penance reserved for the diehard. A championship campaign consisting of one game at the end of April and a tailteann cup game 4 weeks later, certainly going to capture the imagination there!
You and Milltown need to remember that players are not forced to play intercounty football, it's a choice, for those that choose it, we should give them something that will attract attention, give them the competition that they and supporters deserve.
This whole condensed season is an appalling own goal by the gaa, this weekend being a case in point, top quality hurling and football all on at the same time, meanwhile in another week, there'll be just 6 teams left in the Liam McCarthy, that after a league that was played at half pace as it was too close to championship.
I love championship time, the colour, the build up, the atmosphere and I can assure you, it's not been often that my own county has been there past early July!  But that never dampened my enthusiasm, I'm not looking forward to an August bereft of Gaelic games this time around. You can say go the club, will there even he competitions of note taking place in August? I am involved in my local club on a number of fronts, but living in Dublin that is unusual. The vast majority of the populace know only the intercounty game, for them, gaa will be April to July. For all the positives from the club scene, it just will not attract a fraction of the attention that intercounty does (not helped by spectacles like last year's Dublin county final). Let this year be an experiment that needs tweaking, I understand the problems, but this shortening of the season is not the answer.

From the Bunker

Dreadnought

Quote from: tintin25 on May 09, 2022, 09:19:06 PM
The Northern and Southern sections is just daft

4 of the top 5 in the bookies would be in a North section, so if they did this at quarter finals, the top 4 would be playing each other. They messed up this in the Leagues last year with their geographical sections. It's beyond daft. We're not like the UK, the distances on a knockout tournament between counties should not be such a big deal as they continually make them out to be. I'd happily travel. Just don't understand the thinking and rationale.

They've tried to sell us a dead duck here. It's dead on arrival, they couldn't have botched this any more if they tried.

imtommygunn

The more you read on this the more of a farce it looks. This thing could have legs if done right. I'm from Antrim and I'm sick of the sight of ulster teams in championships too so would rather see someone from another province!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 06:52:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2022, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 03:48:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2022, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 03:11:45 PM
This year is straight knock out. Next year this competition becomes a group format.

More time wasting routines ffs! Its beyond a joke with the amount of time players are away from their clubs at the minute but now they are going to be stretching the season out further to win the second tier cup
It's a split season that allows plenty of time for those players with their clubs once the inter County season ends.

Should be a honour to represent your county and this is competition with the opportunity to win a trophy in Croke Park.

So you have them for a bit then they go away again ? Aye it's an honour like the Tommy cooper cup.. they'll be writing songs about the winners and films made about the rise from div 4 to Sam Maguire!

You complained about the provincial championships previously and now writing off the Tailteann Cup before it begins. So you want your own Antrim county players play one championship match and those players be let back to their clubs?

I've been very plain from the start, you have a intermediate championship, and a senior championship , no back doors or any of that crap of round robins or group formats, Intermediate winners move up and if you are div 2 or 1 you play for Sam, everyone else has to earn that right by either winning their leagues to move up or winning the intermediate. Why are we wanting to stretch the championship?

Once you are out then the county can get back to normality and counties won't be spending fortunes on the running of their teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2022, 09:03:08 AM
This year is straight knock out. Next year this competition becomes a group format.

More time wasting routines ffs! Its beyond a joke with the amount of time players are away from their clubs at the minute but now they are going to be stretching the season out further to win the second tier cup
It's a split season that allows plenty of time for those players with their clubs once the inter County season ends.

Should be a honour to represent your county and this is competition with the opportunity to win a trophy in Croke Park.

So you have them for a bit then they go away again ? Aye it's an honour like the Tommy cooper cup.. they'll be writing songs about the winners and films made about the rise from div 4 to Sam Maguire!

You complained about the provincial championships previously and now writing off the Tailteann Cup before it begins. So you want your own Antrim county players play one championship match and those players be let back to their clubs?

I've been very plain from the start, you have a intermediate championship, and a senior championship , no back doors or any of that crap of round robins or group formats, Intermediate winners move up and if you are div 2 or 1 you play for Sam, everyone else has to earn that right by either winning their leagues to move up or winning the intermediate. Why are we wanting to stretch the championship?

Once you are out then the county can get back to normality and counties won't be spending fortunes on the running of their teams

There's the elephant in the room right there people, one of the main reasons for the condensed season.

onefineday

Quote from: johnnycool on May 10, 2022, 09:05:40 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2022, 09:03:08 AM

There's the elephant in the room right there people, one of the main reasons for the condensed season.

Maybe the reduction in revenue as years go on will show the shortsightedness of that approach? You would imagine there are other more effective ways to tackle that issue