Offally U14 Shenanigans

Started by Baile Brigín 2, April 07, 2022, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

"Gah bad soccer good" is yer man's stock in trade.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 09, 2022, 12:02:25 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 09, 2022, 10:53:49 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 09:16:26 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 08, 2022, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 03:55:53 PM
It's all the dinosaurs in the Gah who do this

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Currently 5 u15's in Offaly barred by Athlone Town from playing GAA

GAA as per usual held to a different standard than the rugby and soccer
Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

If my claim about the 5 u15s in Clara is wrong

prove me wrong
I presume this is referring to the same?
https://twitter.com/pauldeeh19/status/1512177760088829957

I'm not sure what more evidence is needed as I'd also know those involved and it stacks up.

I'd expect BB2 is in denial of anything that might run counter his perma-victim mindset when it comes to Irish domestic soccer.

Again. A bloke on Twitter.

I'm not in denial. I'm asking for people to back up their claims. But it's whataboutery. We are on a GAA forum discussing an incident in the GAA.

Not just any bloke

Paul Deehan is the manager of that particular Clara team and he has said on Twitter that it's 100% that 5 of his u15 team are being prevented from playing Gaelic Football by Athlone Town Fc

The question for you now is quite simple

Do you want to climb out of the hole  you've dug for yourself

Or

Do you want to stay digging and look an even bigger fool than you already are?

If that is true he needs to kick up a fuss. The FAI will not back that position.

But just because other codes may or may not be doing something does not deflect from the topic in hand and the contradictory statements from the Offaly CB.

Sligo Rovers at it as well

asking players to sign contracts at u15 and instructing them to play no other sport

That's acadamy stuff though. They are entering into a professional environment and that's the age you need to specalise. You are monitoring diet and fitness at that level.

As someone who has a kid involved in development squads at soccer and gaa I've never heard tell of gaa telling anyone to not play with their local gaa club, local soccer club or local any Club. Next year if my son continues he will be heading to u15 with his local league of Ireland club and will be asked to leave his local soccer club and stop playing sport of any sort with his friends. The answer from us will be to f**k off.

This is a soccer problem primarily and while this Offaly thing is pathetic by them, it's certainly a minority approach at that age in gaa.

What is fascinating is that soccer has been at this for years and yet 1st sign of gaa doing it and you have national media all over it - what does that tell you.

Owenmoresider

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

prove me wrong

I'm not sure what more evidence is needed as I'd also know those involved and it stacks up.

I'd expect BB2 is in denial of anything that might run counter his perma-victim mindset when it comes to Irish domestic soccer.

I'm not in denial. I'm asking for people to back up their claims. But it's whataboutery. We are on a GAA forum discussing an incident in the GAA.

Not just any bloke

Paul Deehan is the manager of that particular Clara team and he has said on Twitter that it's 100% that 5 of his u15 team are being prevented from playing Gaelic Football by Athlone Town Fc

Or

If that is true he needs to kick up a fuss. The FAI will not back that position.

But just because other codes may or may not be doing something does not deflect from the topic in hand and the contradictory statements from the Offaly CB.

asking players to sign contracts at u15 and instructing them to play no other sport
That's the case alright. WE lost a few lads to them over the years.

Also if you go to the Grammar in Sligo there's no GAA or soccer for you. Just rugby.

But of course it's just the "Gah" that does this sort of thing  ::)

manfromdelmonte

Lads, this was going on 15 years ago.

Young lads (13/14 yr olds!) from the country being signed up to Dublin schoolboy clubs. Travelling up and down 3 times a week, with the promise of scouts from UK watching games.
And not being allowed to play anything else.

Its madness for any sport to do this to a young player

northsideboy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 10, 2022, 10:54:48 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

That's the case alright. WE lost a few lads to them over the years.

Also if you go to the Grammar in Sligo there's no GAA or soccer for you. Just rugby.

But of course it's just the "Gah" that does this sort of thing  ::)
Schools such as Belvedere College ban GAA too.

Rudi

Main Stream Media at it again, trying to appeal to the populists. Soccer academies are at this carry on for decades. I have coached gaa teams from u7 to u18 I have seen this first hand from the soccer crowd. There is some amount of soccer folk who will go out of their way to f%ck things up for the gaa boys. None of that will make the papers because it doesn't appeal to Clare Daly types.
By the way I believe Offaly U14s got this wrong, but close to front page news on national papers it ain't.

rosnarun

I think the bigger issue is anointing 25 or 30 lads as being future of the county at 13.
Kids of that stage are at various stage of development and the best 13 year olds do not make necessarily make the best u-15 lead alone minor or 21.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rudi

Quote from: rosnarun on April 12, 2022, 09:11:25 AM
I think the bigger issue is anointing 25 or 30 lads as being future of the county at 13.
Kids of that stage are at various stage of development and the best 13 year olds do not make necessarily make the best u-15 lead alone minor or 21.

Thats not whats happening. A club u14 coach will be asked to name as many u14 players who meet certain criteria in terms of athletic ability, football ability & dedication. These lads enter a sub academy where they get coached by coaches with a broad range of skills. They could do 6 by 2 hour sessions.
In counties the size of Donegal, Mayo or Galway 160 players will get an opportunity to train on sub academies. In year 1 the 160 will get culled after playing against other sub academies to 80-100. Looking at 2 games & about 10 training sessions before lads are culled, which is fair in my opinion. Year 2 will see games V other counties before another cull to about 50-60 players takes place.
Its possible a lad who is culled at 13 years of age can re enter the academy at 15 or 16 years, if he is playing well at club level.
Its far better done than when I was a gascun.
Your not defined at the age of 13, however some lads who exit the academy do lose confidence, never nice to see, buts thats life. I believe you have to work hard for whatever you want or want to achieve.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on April 10, 2022, 12:47:16 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

That's acadamy stuff though. They are entering into a professional environment and that's the age you need to specalise. You are monitoring diet and fitness at that level.

As someone who has a kid involved in development squads at soccer and gaa I've never heard tell of gaa telling anyone to not play with their local gaa club, local soccer club or local any Club. Next year if my son continues he will be heading to u15 with his local league of Ireland club and will be asked to leave his local soccer club and stop playing sport of any sort with his friends. The answer from us will be to f**k off.

This is a soccer problem primarily and while this Offaly thing is pathetic by them, it's certainly a minority approach at that age in gaa.

What is fascinating is that soccer has been at this for years and yet 1st sign of gaa doing it and you have national media all over it - what does that tell you.

So you want your kid in promoted into a professional acadamy strcture with all that goes with, but also to play with his friends. Respectfully, you need to piss or get off the pot.

Itchy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 12, 2022, 11:19:02 AM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

So you want your kid in promoted into a professional acadamy strcture with all that goes with, but also to play with his friends. Respectfully, you need to piss or get off the pot.

Respectfully, you are a gobshite that doesnt know what hes talking about. Professional? - have you been around many LOI clubs?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2022, 11:44:44 AM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

Respectfully, you are a gobshite that doesnt know what hes talking about. Professional? - have you been around many LOI clubs?

While I generally accept the point about specialising too early, the rules of a LoI acadamy are as clear as day. You are entering a professional environment with a contract and as such other sports can be deemed offside. Some clubs are acadamies in name, some are FAS courses, some are full time setups where the kids go to school there. Similar for the provincial rugby setups.

That was not the environment the kids in Offaly entered. Also Offaly GAA did not follow their own rules.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 12, 2022, 12:07:05 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

While I generally accept the point about specialising too early, the rules of a LoI acadamy are as clear as day. You are entering a professional environment with a contract and as such other sports can be deemed offside. Some clubs are acadamies in name, some are FAS courses, some are full time setups where the kids go to school there. Similar for the provincial rugby setups.

That was not the environment the kids in Offaly entered. Also Offaly GAA did not follow their own rules.

We're not chatting about the legal rights regards contracts. We're chatting about the rights and wrongs of any sport restricting the exposure to other sports at that age. Both are 💯 wrong. No ifs or buts. Trying to justify it cause they have signed up to a contract is nonsense in my eyes. And stupid considering cross sport exposure will only enhance a kid's development.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

clonadmad

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 12, 2022, 12:07:05 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

So Sligo Rovers are contracting u15's into a "professional environment"?

Itchy

Let me tell you something about the professional set up you are signing your kids into. They will likely be part of a 25 player panel and there will be a similar panel at U15, U16 and U17. Thats 75 kids. After that I would estimate 70 odd of them will be discarded like a piece of rubbish, I am being generous at 5 getting through but lets go with that for the craic. The 5 lucky winners will get to play at a league of Ireland club where they will get maybe 400 euro a week if they are lucky. When they get to the season end they will all be let go, they can try get another job of course but they will be crossing their fingers to see will their professional team re-sign them next season. Good luck getting a mortgage with that set up. Then the big carrot that soccer waves is the opportunity to play in the big leagues. Well a quick look at say Sligo Rovers will tell you what chance one of their players has to "make it". Seamus Coleman in maybe 20 years is the only one and at a stretch Johnny Kenny is warming a reserve bench in Celtic. So think very carefully before you sell your child into this "professional environment" at the expense of all other sporting activities or playing with their mates at 14 years of age.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on April 12, 2022, 01:29:41 PM
Let me tell you something about the professional set up you are signing your kids into. They will likely be part of a 25 player panel and there will be a similar panel at U15, U16 and U17. Thats 75 kids. After that I would estimate 70 odd of them will be discarded like a piece of rubbish, I am being generous at 5 getting through but lets go with that for the craic. The 5 lucky winners will get to play at a league of Ireland club where they will get maybe 400 euro a week if they are lucky. When they get to the season end they will all be let go, they can try get another job of course but they will be crossing their fingers to see will their professional team re-sign them next season. Good luck getting a mortgage with that set up. Then the big carrot that soccer waves is the opportunity to play in the big leagues. Well a quick look at say Sligo Rovers will tell you what chance one of their players has to "make it". Seamus Coleman in maybe 20 years is the only one and at a stretch Johnny Kenny is warming a reserve bench in Celtic. So think very carefully before you sell your child into this "professional environment" at the expense of all other sporting activities or playing with their mates at 14 years of age.

Most sensible parents understand this Itchy - just need to get it across to the young people.

Very small chance that they make it.

Read somewhere recently that more chance of young players going to Italy etc. after a certain age now because of Brexit.