FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Southgate is too cautious. Safety  first. Two defensive midfielders

Sven was similar.  The old saying was  when England needed a goal or fell behind , Sven brought off a forward and put  on a  right back.

England don't have  someone who can really make a difference . Foden to a certain extent , but he's not going to dominate the middle and thread  balls in for strikers , the way a zidane/maradona would have done.

Some of the passes  messi has played in Argentina games  has been wonderful. Something different,  and that something different from messi might well win them the World Cup

Main Street

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 11, 2022, 04:44:39 PM
Just read an interesting fact onlin.  Here's what teams  England have beaten in the  last 5 world cups

Senegal, Wales,  Iran , Sweden, Colombia (on penalties) , Panama, Tunisia,  Slovenia, Paraguay,  Trinidad and Tobago

They have failed to beat the likes of  France Germany Italy Belgium  Croatia  Portugal Brazil etc when it really mattered

To put things in perspective, Morocco have already beat Belgium Spain and Portugal at this World Cup alone
They also failed to beat the likes of Iceland when it really mattered.

smort

Tbf you can't compare foden and messi....a young English player with a bit of technical ability with possibly the greatest player of all time

I think if England uncovered a pair of world class centre backs, then they could go on the front foot more, and then they would be very dangerous. But I don't think those two defenders are coming along anywhere

bennydorano

England do have a touch of the Mayo about them, they always appear to come out the wrong side of 50/50 crunch games. Conservatism is par for the course tho in International management, but the fact that he went for Sterling as his go to option perplexed me tbh, I think he's lost it big time and not a huge Mount fan either.

Armamike

Quote from: Itchy on December 11, 2022, 04:01:49 PM
Quote from: Armamike on December 11, 2022, 12:24:10 PM
England need to find a few more commanding figures at the back if they're going to ever win a trophy.  Just lack the bit of grit that's needed to win stuff. 

Would think France are the best equipped to win it now - they have the creativity and know how to do get a result.  But who knows.

Englands problem is one of a losing culture in terms of playing the big teams. France were really poor for much of the game but still got over the line. England should have had enough to win it but found a way to lose. Not sure will more players change a cultural issue - thankfully

Yes, agree with that.  I was referring to the losing mentality when I mentioned grit.  There's just a mental softness or lack of ruthlessness to them that they either try to address in some way as a collective or they hope to find a leader from the back in the mould of a Puyol.  For a country of England's size they really should be pushing to win a tournament.
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

Until a team becomes successful, the manager doesn't know which team is good enough. In a winning team, there is gradual change.

trailer

Quote from: Main Street on December 11, 2022, 09:41:56 PM
Just read an interesting fact onlin.  Here's what teams  England have beaten in the  last 5 world cups

Senegal, Wales,  Iran , Sweden, Colombia (on penalties) , Panama, Tunisia,  Slovenia, Paraguay,  Trinidad and Tobago

They have failed to beat the likes of  France Germany Italy Belgium  Croatia  Portugal Brazil etc when it really mattered

To put things in perspective, Morocco have already beat Belgium Spain and Portugal at this World Cup alone

England beat Germany at Euro 2020.
England have one of the best teams in the World and should have beat France. Problem is they have Southgate as a Manager. Belgium did the same. They gave one of their best teams to a Manager who can't get a job in the Premier League. Southgate is a nice guy. And that's his downfall. Not picking in form players like Rashford and Foden was his undoing.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2022, 10:50:06 AM

England have one of the best teams in the World and should have beat France. Problem is they have Southgate as a Manager. Belgium did the same. They gave one of their best teams to a Manager who can't get a job in the Premier League. Southgate is a nice guy. And that's his downfall. Not picking in form players like Rashford and Foden was his undoing.

That French defence is all over the shop and rash as fúck. They were lucky to get away with only conceding the two penalties.

France better score 2 or 3 against Morocco as I can see Morocco score against them.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on December 12, 2022, 10:53:28 AM

That French defence is all over the shop and rash as fúck. They were lucky to get away with only conceding the two penalties.

France better score 2 or 3 against Morocco as I can see Morocco score against them.

Surely they can control the more outrageous tackles and keep the penalty count down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2022, 10:50:06 AM

The final stages are great for exposing weaknesses.
England v France was gladiatorial.
Franced were poxed with the second penalty.

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on December 12, 2022, 11:34:04 AM

Surely they can control the more outrageous tackles and keep the penalty count down.
None of the other 3 attacks left are anywhere near as dangerous as Englands so I think France will cope a whole lot better.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 12, 2022, 11:42:55 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 12, 2022, 11:34:04 AM

None of the other 3 attacks left are anywhere near as dangerous as Englands so I think France will cope a whole lot better.
Argentina can score a goal from nothing.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

Am all on for Morocco from here on in. As Kevin Keegan would say, I just love it if we beat them, just love it. lol

From the Bunker