Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Either the current proposed suspensions are all justified since the guilty parties were cited for contributing to a melee .... but then how do the other 12+ from each side be excused as they were also involved in the same handbags ... either they all contributed to a melee or none of them did.  The whole thing is farcical and once again shows the GAA up for having a lack of proper governance in these situations.  The fact that they take their lead from RTE pundits says it all

Average Score

thewobbler

Quote from: balladmaker on April 05, 2022, 09:26:05 AM
Either the current proposed suspensions are all justified since the guilty parties were cited for contributing to a melee .... but then how do the other 12+ from each side be excused as they were also involved in the same handbags ... either they all contributed to a melee or none of them did.  The whole thing is farcical and once again shows the GAA up for having a lack of proper governance in these situations.  The fact that they take their lead from RTE pundits says it all

Unless there's a different set of rules for the county game, then the difference in approach isn't down to RTE. Instead it's down to the referee's report. If the referee reports a melee, then the case is open and GAA can investigate bringing the game into disrepute. And if one or more players are sent off and subsequently appeal, this is when it's likely to become a full hearing on the melee.

But if the ref doesn't send anyone off (as part of a melee situation) and neglects to report a melee situation in his official report, then beyond HQ asking him to reconsider the contents of his report, the case cannot open.

It's all a bit f**king daft really. But it works from the principle that the only fully honest and wholly independent person at the majority of GAA matches is the referee. So if he doesn't see an incident as worthy of reporting, then the sanitised/flourished version of events pressed forward by the competing teams is never going to get anyone anywhere.

Average Score

Quote from: thewobbler on April 05, 2022, 09:33:59 AM

Unless there's a different set of rules for the county game, then the difference in approach isn't down to RTE. Instead it's down to the referee's report. If the referee reports a melee, then the case is open and GAA can investigate bringing the game into disrepute. And if one or more players are sent off and subsequently appeal, this is when it's likely to become a full hearing on the melee.

But if the ref doesn't send anyone off (as part of a melee situation) and neglects to report a melee situation in his official report, then beyond HQ asking him to reconsider the contents of his report, the case cannot open.

It's all a bit f**king daft really. But it works from the principle that the only fully honest and wholly independent person at the majority of GAA matches is the referee. So if he doesn't see an incident as worthy of reporting, then the sanitised/flourished version of events pressed forward by the competing teams is never going to get anyone anywhere.

He didn't send anyone off and what makes him report a melee situation, the media false outrage, i.e. there was none for Dublin / Kerry - first thing Whelan said was there will be suspensions from this.

Rufus T Firefly

Very frustrating from an Armagh point of view, as this represented our best squad in terms of trying to make a breakthrough at Provincial level, in some considerable time. These losses are game changers.

Call me paranoid, but I definitely feel we were ambushed, but the reality is there is a case to answer. I know it is easy for me to say, standing behind the fence, but we should have been more disciplined.

As long as there is consistency here, going forward, then my frustration can be tempered. That means consistency in terms of referees reporting these issues, the relevant disciplinary committee applying consistent sanctions and indeed the relevant broadcasters highlighting these issues everywhere, as and when they arise.

The sense I get is that when this is called out on national television, there is an increased urgency / determination within the GAA to take action to deal with it. Again, the paranoid within me sees the RTE analysis in this instance as quite forensic when it was not so for similar incidents.   

J70

Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 05:09:44 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 05, 2022, 12:06:23 AM
Quote from: Average Score on April 04, 2022, 10:01:39 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 04, 2022, 07:56:56 PM
Personally, I'd rather Donegal face a full strength Armagh. If we lose, we lose. But if the video shows O'Neill (or anyone else, whether Murphy or whoever) striking, then it has to be dealt with.

Murphy totally got away with it. O'Neills arm lift is at most just that.

If it was an "arm lift at most" I'm sure he'll do just fine with his appeal. ::)

It wasn't a punch Murphys was a cowardly attack. Even Peter the Great has yet to see a punch in the video.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2022/04/05/news/peter-canavan-has-sympathy-for-banned-players-with-rian-o-neill-cited-2633722/

Rian should have no bother getting off then so.

Average Score

J70

Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 06:52:59 AM
I would be going by facts having been at the match not some anti Armagh keyboard warrior.

That's the thing though, isn't it?

For all we know, you're an anti-Donegal keyboard warrior.

I've heard the claims redzone refers to elsewhere myself.

And in the absence of video or referee evidence implicating Murphy, who are those of us who weren't there, including the GAA authorities, supposed to believe?

Average Score

Quote from: J70 on April 05, 2022, 10:12:32 AM
I would be going by facts having been at the match not some anti Armagh keyboard warrior.

And in the absence of video or referee evidence implicating Murphy, who are those of us who weren't there, including the GAA authorities, supposed to believe?

So you heard claims Murphy didn't punch Grugan or as redzone said he got what he deserved? I didn't see Nugent punch number 4 who battered him all day.

Average Score

BTW it is irrelevant what is relevant is how were 4 Armagh players banned and only 2 Donegal if you base it on the video evidence alone?

J70

Quote from: Average Score on April 05, 2022, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 05, 2022, 10:12:32 AM

So you heard claims Murphy didn't punch Grugan?

I heard Grugan started on him first.

But my point is that it doesn't matter.

Murphy could have launched an unprovoked attack or went over the top defending himself after bring struck first, but if there's no video and no referee's report evidence, it's all just internet rumour and allegation.

Average Score

Yeah cause if you were going to start on someone you would start on Murphy!  Fact is from someone who was at the match Murphy punched Grugan, you believe what you want. Can't believe you actually are advocating him being punched.

Quote from: redzone on April 05, 2022, 06:22:06 AM
Complete bull. Why is it on other forms that Grugan is getting the blame for trying to start Murphy. He got what was coming to him. Watched him again Meyler that day and he is one sneeky snide player. Why is it these Armagh players seem to have to try and prove there maniless to Geezer and the King of hard men McKeever.

naka

j70,
grugan was very  late on him during the match and was rightly booked for it.
murphy scored an excellent point at the time but was definitely hit late

the hit after the game was  in front  the linesman  again in font of the bank

ck

Some crap being talked here - fact is that Murphy clearly struck Grugan. Either they all get suspended for raising their hands or they don't. Armagh have got shafted here and Donegal have got off very light.

Suspensions were handed out last Monday and now more suspensions?!. Does this mean there could be more? Surely the powers that be should have carried out a proper investigation before any announcements instead of this drip feed nonsense.

ck

+1