Parklife

Started by Bainisteoir, May 31, 2007, 04:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

Anyone remember this or like it? Where has it gone?

Mentalman

Quote from: Bainisteoir on May 31, 2007, 04:30:21 PM
Anyone remember this or like it? Where has it gone?

Remember it alright, definitely didn't like, which was strange as I've been listening to Ger Gilroy doing Off The Ball on Newstalk since they first started to broadcast it, back when it was a two hour show, and love it. I thought the format, and even the setting, of Parklife just didn't work. Don't know if they are bringing it back or not this year, hopefully not, or if they do hopefully they will have revamped it. If they could get something akin to Breaking Ball, now that was quality, although I'm sure Setanta would not be pleased if their format was nicked, as fluid as it was.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

corn02

There are alot of factors which contribute to a GAA show being a success or not.

The time of the show is very important, wasn't parklife on at like 10 on a Sunday morning or am I getting mixed up? If it was that was a stupid time, when we all be nursing hangovers or out praying for forgiveness. A slot during the week would bemost suited, maybe a Wednesday night - midway between the Sundays and when people will be in their homes looking to watch a bit of telly.

The format is another issue. Breaking Ball was so popular because it had a good format. It was not 'over-done'. The voice over allowed the segments to gel with little or no fuss. This type of show does not need twenty minutes of people blabbering on about forthcoming matches, leave that for the papers and the Sunday Game analysis. All that would be needed would be an insight to players or teams, a brief look at highlights an even briefer look at forthcoming matches and a few other components such as down memory lane or a fan forum type of thing. Keep it simple.

If a presenter is neccesary lets have someone with proper presenting skills and not a loveable rogue who most of us will hate. There is certainly a  niche in the market for a well produced show and It would be successful.

Bogball XV

parklife was on a wednesday/thursday night at 10ish - the repeat might have been on a sunday morning, dunno.  I liked it alright, but then I liked that Logie one on UTV too, so my opinion doesn't matter!!  (that'll be seconded by anyone on the derry thread).

blanketattack

Parklife is a single and album by Blur. Are ye sure it's not Park Live ye're thinking of?
It started off as a soccer am style programme on Sunday mornings and then for the second season it switched to a night time slot during the week.
That comedian from the panel wasa brutal on it.
Breaking ball was a far better show, it was written by Tom Humphries.

rolloutking

Park Live was on a Sunday morning from the GAA museum and i remember this because they always had the shooting range thing where everyone was absolutly brutal. Jamsie O Connor won the hurling one and they always gave out wee dodgy cups and All Ireland winning captains like Ray Silke and Graham Geragty had to stand there and shake hands an all. You just knew by the look on their face they were thinkin'F ck me i look lik a tool here.' They had that clown Des Bishop on as well and he did the hurling one and could hardly swing the stick, never mind hit the ball. I also remember Paul Brady was on the football one and wasn't doing to well. He then tried a shot with his left foot and screwed it into the green netting at the side lmao. Obviously his ambidexterity doesnt apply to his feet as well as it does his hands.

The UTV show with Logie was End to End and it was on a Wednesday night i think. It was very good in terms of discussion and rarely showed and clips of games. The main analysts where Damien Barton and Jarlath Burns i think. They also had the odd bit of hurling with Rogie and Justin Mc Carthy making the odd appearance. Before Armagh's All Ireland final in 2002 they did a show from the Marketplace Theatre in Armagh and it was very good, especially as Tommy Lyons threw a football out from the stage to me!

stephenite

End to End wasn't great, but it was streets ahead of Parklife in fairness. I used to love Houlie and Barton, if one said sugar, the other said shite. It got ridiculous at one stage where Houlie would disagree with anything that came out of Barton's mouth regardless of the content

corn02

Bartons opinions were usually decent.

RTE should have a show in place surely, a few journalists and players to discuss the action and they would be sorted.

paddypastit

Think the commission for Park Live wasn't renewed by RTE for 2007 - it was an independent production.

It was on a Sunday morning, reperated mid week in its first year - 2005.  Was Thursday night, repeated at the weekend last year

IMO. a big pity. The point about abouit Park Live was that it wasn't trying to be 'the Final Whistle' or End to End or Breaking Ball or any others - it was seeking to be different but was being judged against 'traditional' formats because there was nothoing else on.  There is sufficiemtly broad interest in Gaelic Games to accomodate variations on all of the above.  Park Love is not for hard core GAA heads or the 'usual' faces / voices, and I thought it was the better for that. I think that the format and the 'talent' on Setanta's 'Finalk Whistle' is awful - Paul Collins / Val Andrews / Paul Early - each worst that the next but I'll stiull watch it to hear persperctives, if only to disagree (Christ Early hasn't a clus about Connaught, and Collins just hasn't a clue) as I did before with End to End - where for me Logan was a pain.  The pity is there isn't a few programmes that appeals to different types.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

corn02

But as already stated Paddy Parl Live seemed to be trying to be the GAAs version of Soccer AM and unfortunately this would never look. Soccer AM has such a Worldwide selection to pick funny or controversial clips. Every week there is always a story of a bad miss or a punch up. These 'quirky' elements do not really exist in the GAA, ehh except for the punch up of course.

What I am trying to say is that GAA fans would not like such a slapstick show. I can't believe there is not a show in place apart from Setanta at the moment.